Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front tire has a slit on the side wall. I took it to my dealer and they told me I needed to replace the tire and he would give me a discounted price, 170$. I checked around at my local tire dealers and they do not carry the original iQ tire size. Any help?

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can buy a new one for less than that.
Go to tirerack.com.
I will bet that even with shipping a new Goodyear Assurance will cost less than that...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a 200 mile on them for sale set. But you might leave to far away. Not sure how much it would cost to ship them to you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the prices on tire rack.com better than the one my Toyota Dealer gave me. I went to check my local Costco and the mechanic said he has never heard of this size for a tire. Is the tire that comes with the iQ specially made? Is that why it is so hard to find?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
my tires are covered under my warranty,ive allready had a tire issue resolved because of my warranty,FREE.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think i would go talk to the service manager, and ask him why they dont stand behind their warranty. And if he thinks the general manager or the scion/toyota regional manager would agree.

When they get away with a tire what next a transmission not covered or an engine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
went to tirerack.com read some reviews on the stock OE tires on our car, they had a few people said that at around 20K miles the tires separate and reveal the metal belts, so it sound like the may be a problem tire, and are not a long lived tire.

Well i have 4K miles on mine maybe by 20K miles someone else will make a better tire for it.

I went to see if Michelin made any tires close to that size. Nope.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
tires are just covered for defects (broke belt, or tread seperation) not damage, a slit sounds like damage to me
mine are covered for ANY damage occured,up to 5 times,ive allready used 1.

·
Registered
236 Posts
On the tirerack.com page I did see a tire Yokohama AVID Ascend, the specs should be looked at to confirm it is what you want.

Stock OEM tire is 175/60R16

Yokohama Tire size is 185/55R16 tire specs appear to be a little higher than stock tires it can be had in a T, H, or a V rated tire, price is $102.00 ea.

This tire is in a new category (GRAND TOURING ALL SEASON) this is the description

Grand Touring All-Season Tires
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and responsive handling along with noise and ride comfort.
Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these tires are designed to blend a performance tire's appearance with a passenger tire's smooth, quiet ride. Grand Touring All-Season tires are often used as Original Equipment and place more emphasis on handling and high-speed capabilities than Standard Touring tires.

This tire has the LRR Low Rolling resistance fuel economy tire classification and can be had in a v rated tire, and is a 55 series 24.1" overall diameter 19lbs ea. vs stock OE tire is 24.3" dia. & 17lbs per tire.
stock OE tire section width 5.7" wide, yoko is 7.6" tire width.

At almost 2.0" wider than stock I am not sure if it would rub the inner fender or not.

Tread wear Yoko 740, Stock Goodyear OE tire is 580, it looks like you should get more miles out of the Yoko, but who knows till you slap 4 on and drive.

Review's/ rating on the Yoko tire is very high.

No body mention they were noisy tires, it looks like that is one of the first they would complain about, BUT NO COMPLAINTS on the YOKO tire

Yoko gives you 30 days to test drive, to test their tires if you don't like them tell them then give them back.

It looks like the tire warranty is Free replacement first year or 2/32" of wear, then prorated to 2/32" remaining depth, 5 Years / 85,000 Miles (T rated tires only)
5 Years / 75,000 Miles (H rated tires only)

Check the specs before you buy them to make sure they are right for you.

here are the reviews

Initial Review, 2,000 Miles on Tires
June 25, 2012
This is a great 65,0000, rated tire. I really looked around and compared all brand tires. I do recommend opting for the V rated tire, instead of the T rated tire for this car. There is a huge difference, when changing lanes. The accord calls for an H rated tire, so the V rated is a step up, because yokohama does not make, an H rated tire in this size. Primarily, because most of the high rated mileage you can get on thus tire. I will say Yokohama has great customer service, as you can drive for 30 days on this tire and if you are not completely satisfied Yokohama will honor a customer service guarantee. The handling is a very good, the road noise depends on the roads, but I believe it compares to Michelin, and many other top brands. The accord typically does well with most tires on road noise. These are a safe bet, for all sedans. It runs very cool, and with the blue earth technology, you are supposed to get better gas mileage. The V rated tires do have stiffer sidewalks, but do not decrease the ride quality or comfort.

Initial Review, 1,000 Miles on Tires
June 15, 2012
I am a Michelin Hydroedge fan. I drive diesel VWs so I purchase tires that are comfortable at higher inflations (40+psi) and great handling tires so that I can maintain momentum through turns. This is critical to my high MPG driving style. The Hydroegde is about as good as it gets in that department since they are low rolling resistance tires (LRR), the ride is still comfortable over 40 psi and they offer handling performance of a high performance tire even though they are listed as a passenger tire. Unfortunately they are not available for my Honda Fit. I was faced with only 5 choices for my car, and the brand new Dunlop 7000 tires that came with the car felt like bricks. Wet weather performance is terrible on the Dunlops. So, the Yokohama Avid Ascend was it. They intrigued me with the Orange Oil, LRR, Made in the USA and Blue earth advertizing. But the proof is where the rubber meets the road. The tires are scary... at first. At recommended inflations (30-32 psi)the new tires are very inconsistent and sidewalls are soft. They have grip in dry and wet, they are comfortable and quiet on the road, but until they wear in, the first few miles of driving are scary. The back of the car felt loose until the tire grabbed which is unsettling. I felt this in the Goodyear Triple tread also when they were new so I gave it a couple of days and after a couple of heat cycles these too felt better. The installer set them at 30 psi. Once the tires settled in I experimented with pressures and found 41 in the front and 36 in the back provides neutral handling through turns. 40 front and back made the car very tail happy as the outer and inner inch of tread of the rear tire was not touching the road. At 35 the sidewall was too soft moved a lot. Once they are set properly I find them to be comfortable, quiet and grippy tires- very good in the rain. Definitely feel like LRR tires compared to the Dunlops, the car feels more stable and sporty- but they are no hydroedges.

Initial Review, 3,000 Miles on Tires
June 24, 2012
The car really seems to stick on the road. Maybe not quite responsive enough for my tastes, but otherwise seemingly great tire.

Note: Most New tires come with a mold release coating on them and need to have 100mile break in to wear this coating off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the Yokohama AVID Ascend.

On the tirerack.com page I did see a tire Yokohama AVID Ascend, the specs should be looked at to confirm it is what you want.

Stock OEM tire is 175/60R16

Yokohama Tire size is 185/55R16 tire specs appear to be a little higher than stock tires it can be had in a T, H, or a V rated tire, price is $102.00 ea.

This tire is in a new category (GRAND TOURING ALL SEASON) this is the description

Grand Touring All-Season Tires
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and responsive handling along with noise and ride comfort.
Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these tires are designed to blend a performance tire's appearance with a passenger tire's smooth, quiet ride. Grand Touring All-Season tires are often used as Original Equipment and place more emphasis on handling and high-speed capabilities than Standard Touring tires.

This tire has the LRR Low Rolling resistance fuel economy tire classification and can be had in a v rated tire, and is a 55 series 24.1" overall diameter 19lbs ea. vs stock OE tire is 24.3" dia. & 17lbs per tire.
stock OE tire section width 5.7" wide, yoko is 7.6" tires width.

At almost 2.0" wider than stock I am not sure if it would rub the inner fender or not.

Tread wear Yoko 740, Stock Goodyear OE tire is 580, it looks like you should get more miles out of the Yoko, but who knows till you slap 4 on and drive.

Review's/ rating on the Yoko tire is very high.

No body mention they were noisy tires, it looks like that is one of the first they would complain about, BUT NO COMPLAINTS on the YOKO tire

Yoko gives you 30 days to test drive, to test their tires if you don't like them tell them then give them back.

It looks like the tire warranty is Free replacement first year or 2/32" of wear, then prorated to 2/32" remaining depth, 5 Years / 85,000 Miles (T rated tires only)
5 Years / 75,000 Miles (H rated tires only)

Check the specs before you buy them to make sure they are right for you.

here are the reviews

Initial Review, 2,000 Miles on Tires
June 25, 2012
This is a great 65,0000, rated tire. I really looked around and compared all brand tires. I do recommend opting for the V rated tire, instead of the T rated tire for this car. There is a huge difference, when changing lanes. The accord calls for an H rated tire, so the V rated is a step up, because yokohama does not make, an H rated tire in this size. Primarily, because most of the high rated mileage you can get on thus tire. I will say Yokohama has great customer service, as you can drive for 30 days on this tire and if you are not completely satisfied Yokohama will honor a customer service guarantee. The handling is a very good, the road noise depends on the roads, but I believe it compares to Michelin, and many other top brands. The accord typically does well with most tires on road noise. These are a safe bet, for all sedans. It runs very cool, and with the blue earth technology, you are supposed to get better gas mileage. The V rated tires do have stiffer sidewalks, but do not decrease the ride quality or comfort.

Initial Review, 1,000 Miles on Tires
June 15, 2012
I am a Michelin Hydroedge fan. I drive diesel VWs so I purchase tires that are comfortable at higher inflations (40+psi) and great handling tires so that I can maintain momentum through turns. This is critical to my high MPG driving style. The Hydroegde is about as good as it gets in that department since they are low rolling resistance tires (LRR), the ride is still comfortable over 40 psi and they offer handling performance of a high performance tire even though they are listed as a passenger tire. Unfortunately they are not available for my Honda Fit. I was faced with only 5 choices for my car, and the brand new Dunlop 7000 tires that came with the car felt like bricks. Wet weather performance is terrible on the Dunlops. So, the Yokohama Avid Ascend was it. They intrigued me with the Orange Oil, LRR, Made in the USA and Blue earth advertizing. But the proof is where the rubber meets the road. The tires are scary... at first. At recommended inflations (30-32 psi)the new tires are very inconsistent and sidewalls are soft. They have grip in dry and wet, they are comfortable and quiet on the road, but until they wear in, the first few miles of driving are scary. The back of the car felt loose until the tire grabbed which is unsettling. I felt this in the Goodyear Triple tread also when they were new so I gave it a couple of days and after a couple of heat cycles these too felt better. The installer set them at 30 psi. Once the tires settled in I experimented with pressures and found 41 in the front and 36 in the back provides neutral handling through turns. 40 front and back made the car very tail happy as the outer and inner inch of tread of the rear tire was not touching the road. At 35 the sidewall was too soft moved a lot. Once they are set properly I find them to be comfortable, quiet and grippy tires- very good in the rain. Definitely feel like LRR tires compared to the Dunlops, the car feels more stable and sporty- but they are no hydroedges.

Initial Review, 3,000 Miles on Tires
June 24, 2012
The car really seems to stick on the road. Maybe not quite responsive enough for my tastes, but otherwise seemingly great tire.

Note: Most New tires come with a mold release coating on them and need to have 100mile break in to wear this coating off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts