Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some of Flexible LED strips from Walmart They call them DRL lighting, for the interior and they really light up the interior well, i wonder if those would fit inside the Mirror turn signal (in the non illuminated section as a driving light) section.

The stock interior light is Very dim, the wife and i went on a road trip and she was frustrated because of "THAT STUPID LIGHT" her words. But I have to agree I have to shine a light on it to see if it is on ;-)

I put two In back and two right under the upper part of the dash, this is a good spot and made a huge difference, They light up the upper/middle dash right where you need it. Now i have all the interior lighting i need, i also put a couple of subtle blue LEDS under the lower part of the dash to give that glow effect. I also put a couple LED strips inside my center console storage/armrest.

I put a switch for each,
1.LEDs Middle of dash
2.LEDs under lower dash
3.LEDs inside center console

Each switch has it's own LED to tell you which switch is on, (in case the light was not a clue)they are wired to a power port so they turn off when car is shut off, But i was thinking about running a full time power port to the rear of the car for access from the rear, and I could power the rear light separate, like when you have groceries or have a need for in the back while the engine is off.

I guess i am committed to taking some pics now. I'll get some daytime shots and some night shots. That way you can see how they look during the day when you are not using them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just bought a slew of lights for my IQ ....waiting on the boat from china now.....My IQ is going to light up like a Carnival when i am done.......I am thinking about using EL rope around the interior on the floor level.....That piss poor spotlight is a JOKE

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here are a few pictures. Hey surf city, riots have started with fewer words :) This was taken at noon so the lights will not appear very bright, But i will take some more Pictures when it gets dark out to give a comparison, The picture of the mirror select button I put the camera right down low so you can easily see the light , but when you are sitting up normally, you can hardly see the light strip until you switch it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those flexible white LEDs are $18.00 for a pair of them, I put two pairs of them, One in the middle of the dash, and one in the back truck area, I may put a two position switch in the back to turn on only the rear from the back with no ignition on.

I would like to see how hard it would be to take off the side mirror, and if i can get into the turn signal light to install a strip in the non-lighted section (i hope these have access from the rear and are not sealed) as a driving light.

SurfCity are the original turn signals sealed? any way I can open those, without damage??

They really light up the IQ at night you dont really need anything else, unless you want a colored mood light.

And maybe use them as a DRL halo for the head lights, Like DR Nick did

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Next, I need to hide my radar detector cord. Between the glass and the dash, then run it into the back of the power port.

That way I can still use my garmin without having to do a double power port adapter.

I thought about putting another power port in the rear of the car & another one on the center console just behind the cup holder, for phone charging, or maybe Ill put the power port inside the center console/arm rest.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is some info on the White flex LED strips,

The Custom Accessories Daytime Running Light LED Strip is easy to install.

Custom Accessories Daytime Running Light LED Strip, White, 2pc:
  • High quality
  • Easy to install
  • 2 LED strips per pack
  • 12 LEDs per strip
Model No.:23758W
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 1.38 x 3.75 x 13.0
Walmart No.:550030256

Price $18.00 per pair

The Nice thing is that they can be cut shorter to length, like i did for the left side of dash by the mirror adjustment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also plan to light the mirror control panel..........can't find that sucker at 5 am........

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here are my interior LEDs at night with NO other lights on. No driving or interior lights on to see how it is, it was very dark. I think that the Blue LEDs under the lower dash were not very bright. I think i will put some of the what LED strips under neath the lower dash and wire them into the dome light. I may put a second pair of strip light into the rear of the car next to the other ones, that way i can turn them on with a switch like they are now, while i am driving(in case the wife needs to find something in the back while driving), and the second set back there (I am not sure if the dome light comes on when the rear hatch is opened) will come on if the rear hatch is opened with the dome lights.

As you can see you can read the writing on the maps and the switches on the mirror adjustment switch. The Trunk area is well lit

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I did some more interior lights today. I hooked up two more strip lights to the rear trunk/hatch area, These rear lights & the Lower Dash Lights turn on when the car is unlocked with the remote, as they are hooked into the dome light.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For Exterior Lighting,

Just received my OEM Fog Light kit today, Installed it. Looks good. I was surprised that there was not a led on the switch. But at least there is one on the dash to tell you it is on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did some more interior lights today. I hooked up two more strip lights to the rear trunk/hatch area, These rear lights & the Lower Dash Lights turn on when the car is unlocked with the remote, as they are hooked into the dome light.
Looks great Westgl. I plan to do somethnig like that. Where did you tie into the dome light circuit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
PART COLOR LOCATION
12 VOLT CONSTANT BLUE (+) (30 AMP) WHITE 8-PIN PLUG, PIN 7 @ IGNITION SWITCH
STARTER RED (+) WHITE 8-PIN PLUG, PIN 8 @ IGNITION SWITCH
STARTER 2 LT. GREEN (+) WHITE 8-PIN PLUG, PIN 1 @ IGNITION SWITCH
IGNITION 1 BROWN (+) WHITE 8-PIN PLUG, PIN 6 @ IGNITION SWITCH
IGNITION 2 LT. BLUE (+) WHITE 8-PIN PLUG, PIN 4 @ IGNITION SWITCH
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE (+) WHITE 8-PIN PLUG, PIN 3 @ IGNITION SWITCH
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) YELLOW (-) GRAY 30-PIN PLUG, PIN 30 @ BECU, See NOTE #2
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) GREEN (+) WHITE 36-PIN PLUG(3E), PIN 7 @ DASH FUSEBOX
POWER LOCK GRAY (TYPE B)(-) Negative GRAY 30-PIN PLUG, PIN 9 @ BECU, See NOTE #2
POWER UNLOCK YELLOW (TYPE B)(-) Negative GRAY 30-PIN PLUG, PIN 10 @ BECU, See NOTE #2
DOOR TRIGGER GREEN (-) WHITE 36-PIN PLUG(3E), PIN 24 @ DASH FUSEBOX
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION BLACK (-) REAR WHITE 40-PIN PLUG(3C), PIN 12 @ DASH FUSEBOX
TRUNK RELEASE LT. GREEN (-) GRAY 30-PIN PLUG, PIN 23 @ BECU, See NOTE #2
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN GREEN/BLACK (-) WHITE 40-PIN PLUG(3B), PIN 22 @ DASH FUSEBOX
TACH LT. GREEN (AC) @ DATA LINK CONNECTOR, BLACK 16-PIN PLUG, PIN 9
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A
BRAKE BLUE (+) WHITE 36-PIN PLUG(3E), PIN 34 @ DASH FUSEBOX
FACTORY ALARM DISARM GREEN (-) (DOOR KEY CYLINDER WIRE) GRAY 30-PIN PLUG, PIN 24 @ BECU, See NOTE #2
ANTI-THEFT NO INFORMATION AT THIS TIME!! See NOTE #1

Just found this online the other day. I havent confirmed if its correct or anything but this guess is better than mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts