Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I love my car - we have esestablished that. But my whole buying experience is seriously lacking. I was advised by my salesman last night, by email, that my wheels won't be here now until May 18th or 19th.

This, on top of everything else I've experienced with them (low trade in value for my previous car, the miscommunication of that amount, lack of communication, issues with financing and my rims not being available a full month after taking possession of my vehicle) have made this whole experience less pleasant than I had initially expected. I don't know why things always have to be so complicated. *sigh*

He did add at the bottom of his email "On a positive note , the Lava Spoiler’s will be available by Friday" - He was going to give me a discounted price (installation included) but I am going to see if they can see fit to provide this to me free of charge considering all the other crap I've been dealing with.

Anyone else have a less than pleasant experience with any dealerships? I had kind of a bad experience when I bought my Ford also. Well, it was more with the service department than the sales department but I did find that once I bought my car it took a month for me to get it then my salesman wouldn't never return my calls but if he happened to answer one he'd say "Oh yes, I was going to call you today!" :mad: Suuuure you were.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same thing happened to me (us).
Had to wait a month for the factory alloy rims, and didn't give us much for the trade-in.
Although purchasing the vehicle was much better than in the past, I still think I got screwed.

What really got to me was the fact that the Owners Manual was not available in .pdf format.
I know this is not the dealer's problem, but Scion should sit up and take notice.
I know they wanna keep the cost down, and they do this by not providing factory options.
EVERYTHING is available as an accessory (except factory cruise) if you wanna PAY for it.
But the Owner's Manual? How much is that gonna cost to put online when all the other manuals are already there?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing happened to me (us).
Had to wait a month for the factory alloy rims, and didn't give us much for the trade-in.
Although purchasing the vehicle was much better than in the past, I still think I got screwed.

What really got to me was the fact that the Owners Manual was not available in .pdf format.
I know this is not the dealer's problem, but Scion should sit up and take notice.
I know they wanna keep the cost down, and they do this by not providing factory options.
EVERYTHING is available as an accessory (except factory cruise) if you wanna PAY for it.
But the Owner's Manual? How much is that gonna cost to put online when all the other manuals are already there?
Really? I wasn't aware that they didn't provide it online. Honestly, I doubt it would cost much to put it online IF it cost them anything at all.

I know I got screwed but I wanted the iQ so bad that I was willing not to kick up much of a stink. I basically took at $6000 loss and now I am paying $50.00 more per payment (I pay bi-weekly) than I did on the car I traded in. It's a good thing I love my car!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
My sales experience was stellar....but I suppose not all dealerships are managed at the same level. It also can be tough being an early adopter...ya pay a certain price (like parts unavailability), but it is awesome at the same time.

I myself have had some very odd issues/circumstances to work through that cast a cloud over my first few months of iQ ownership. It's all sorted now and a distant memory. The short story is that someone in a behemoth truck backed into the front of my little 10 foot car (they needed more room apparently) and scraped the paint. I took my iQ to the dealership body shop, had it there for an extra week waiting on a front badge to come in. Finally picked up my car, was driving out of the parking lot, and one of their guys zooms around the corner in the body shop's golf cart, hitting my iQ in the side....then the guy apologizes for the next 20 minutes. The body shop was horrified and fixed the car spendidly, but I was without my iQ for three or four weeks. That was painful, especially given the awful rental cars I wound up in.

Anyway.....in front of every silver lining is a dark cloud, so I hope your issues get settled and you can move on to blissful, carefree motoring. I have.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really wanted this car too - so I knew that I'd be at the dealer's mercy. My sale went OK (I kept my other car so there was no trade) - but there were a few annoying hitches...

They really wanted me to take the silver model they had there, but I wanted the white with options. So they told me it would take 3 weeks for the order. Fine... I'll wait. I wanted to wait until April anyway (this was early March). Three days later, they call me saying they have my car. AWESOME! I go in, sign all the papers and I have my car on March 17th. But - I'll need to bring it back in to install the options as they got my car via a dealer trade and its base model. So I bring it in when they tell me, drop it off, get the most horrible stinky loaner car ever... and the parts don't come in. I got to pick it up and its not ready. They kept calling my home number (30 miles away) while I'm at work all day because the only bothered to call the one number in the computer rather than any of the three I left for the work order. This happened FOR TWO DAYS. I was peeved. I took it back without the options and told them to call me when they had their act together. Very bad communication. After I cooled off a for a week, I went back and got everything all installed with a friend shuttling me to the dealer (because that loaner car was poisoning my soul a little bit).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My sales experience was stellar....but I suppose not all dealerships are managed at the same level. It also can be tough being an early adopter...ya pay a certain price (like parts unavailability), but it is awesome at the same time.

I myself have had some very odd issues/circumstances to work through that cast a cloud over my first few months of iQ ownership. It's all sorted now and a distant memory. The short story is that someone in a behemoth truck backed into the front of my little 10 foot car (they needed more room apparently) and scraped the paint. I took my iQ to the dealership body shop, had it there for an extra week waiting on a front badge to come in. Finally picked up my car, was driving out of the parking lot, and one of their guys zooms around the corner in the body shop's golf cart, hitting my iQ in the side....then the guy apologizes for the next 20 minutes. The body shop was horrified and fixed the car spendidly, but I was without my iQ for three or four weeks. That was painful, especially given the awful rental cars I wound up in.

Anyway.....in front of every silver lining is a dark cloud, so I hope your issues get settled and you can move on to blissful, carefree motoring. I have.
OMG! I would have been savage! I had something like that happen to me when I had my Fiesta in for service at the Ford Dealership. One of their techs gouged the paint on my passenger door somehow and I didn't notice until the next day as I was coming out of my house to go to work. I called them and they tried to place the blame on me and I was like "Nooooo way... that's not gonna happen! This car hasn't been anywhere in the past few hours but at your shop, my driveway and work and nothing has even been close enough to my car, besides your techs and me, to scratch it and I know I didn't do it." They ended up going good for it but that really left a sour taste in my mouth. I can't imagine how I'd react in your situation. Glad to hear everything worked out! :)

I really wanted this car too - so I knew that I'd be at the dealer's mercy. My sale went OK (I kept my other car so there was no trade) - but there were a few annoying hitches...

They really wanted me to take the silver model they had there, but I wanted the white with options. So they told me it would take 3 weeks for the order. Fine... I'll wait. I wanted to wait until April anyway (this was early March). Three days later, they call me saying they have my car. AWESOME! I go in, sign all the papers and I have my car on March 17th. But - I'll need to bring it back in to install the options as they got my car via a dealer trade and its base model. So I bring it in when they tell me, drop it off, get the most horrible stinky loaner car ever... and the parts don't come in. I got to pick it up and its not ready. They kept calling my home number (30 miles away) while I'm at work all day because the only bothered to call the one number in the computer rather than any of the three I left for the work order. This happened FOR TWO DAYS. I was peeved. I took it back without the options and told them to call me when they had their act together. Very bad communication. After I cooled off a for a week, I went back and got everything all installed with a friend shuttling me to the dealer (because that loaner car was poisoning my soul a little bit).
It's frustrating, isn't it? I called the finance guy at the dealership yesterday because my first payment was supposed to be taken out on May 4th and it still hasn't been taken out. I called the bank (who the loan is supposedly with) first and they have no record of me having a loan with them. So I call the finance guy - that was yesterday around 9 am. I'm still waiting for him to call me back - it's now 1:00 pm. Normally, I wouldn't be so antsy for someone to call me back but with everything else that's been going on, I just want this fixed and fixed now, you know? Not that I mind having a free car lol but we all know if I didn't say anything it would come back to bite me in the bum. I've never been more anxious for someone to take my money.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
very very common,i was treated like royalty the MONTHS previous to taking possesion,and once i possesd it was very different.but i was in their face OFTEN before recieving my IQ. i would allways go in and GIVE THEM updated info cuzz they knew nothing,much of my info was from you friends on here.lol.but yes it did change once i got the car.this is a SALES attmosphere remember.MAGGIEBITE.I WOULD BE GOING IN AND HAVING THEM CUT YOU A CHEQUE FOR WHAT YOU PAID THEM FOR THE WHEELS,DEFINATELY,HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BANK,SCION HAS BIN PAID.go get yourself some aftermarket rims,which im sure you will find a pair that works for you and your ride,you could allso not be limitted by the width of the stock alloys and can then get 16by 7 inch rims that your stock rubber will work with and when those wear,you can upgrade into a wider rubber.THEN TAKE YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND TO DINNER THREE TIMES AND FILL YOUR TANK WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE YOURSELF FROM GOING THIS ROUTE.

·
Registered
68 Posts
very very common,i was treated like royalty the MONTHS previous to taking possesion,and once i possesd it was very different.but i was in their face OFTEN before recieving my IQ. i would allways go in and GIVE THEM updated info cuzz they knew nothing,much of my info was from you friends on here.lol.but yes it did change once i got the car.this is a SALES attmosphere remember.MAGGIEBITE.I WOULD BE GOING IN AND HAVING THEM CUT YOU A CHEQUE FOR WHAT YOU PAID THEM FOR THE WHEELS,DEFINATELY,HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BANK,SCION HAS BIN PAID.go get yourself some aftermarket rims,which im sure you will find a pair that works for you and your ride,you could allso not be limitted by the width of the stock alloys and can then get 16by 7 inch rims that your stock rubber will work with and when those wear,you can upgrade into a wider rubber.THEN TAKE YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND TO DINNER THREE TIMES AND FILL YOUR TANK WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE YOURSELF FROM GOING THIS ROUTE.
:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I almost feel bad saying that my experience was stellar! I waited 14 months for the iQ to be released and once it was I picked it up at the dealership within a few days. Scion Corp worked their butts off to get my Navigation system since there were only 30 of them in the United States total. My five spoke hubcaps were not in stock when I picked up the iQ so they gave me a set from a Second Gen xB. Once the correct hubcaps came in they called me to come pick them up. They gave me a voucher for a free fill up on the iQ since I drove out to them. Hector and Michael at Scion of Glendora were a joy to work with. They made follow up calls to ensure I was happy. Come to think of it, they gave me a voucher for a free tank of gas the night I picked up the iQ.

The only complaint I have is that there is only one key with door activation. The second key is just a key. I would think two keys would be a better deal. Other than that I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MAGGIEBITE.I WOULD BE GOING IN AND HAVING THEM CUT YOU A CHEQUE FOR WHAT YOU PAID THEM FOR THE WHEELS,DEFINATELY,HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BANK,SCION HAS BIN PAID.go get yourself some aftermarket rims,which im sure you will find a pair that works for you and your ride,you could allso not be limitted by the width of the stock alloys and can then get 16by 7 inch rims that your stock rubber will work with and when those wear,you can upgrade into a wider rubber.THEN TAKE YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND TO DINNER THREE TIMES AND FILL YOUR TANK WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE YOURSELF FROM GOING THIS ROUTE.
LOL The only issue with that is this... if I bought aftermarket wheels wouldn't my TPMS light be on all the time without the sensors? This is what I never really understood with the guys on here who have aftermarket wheels. Did they have the sensors installed? Or are they just driving around with a light on their dash?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I almost feel bad saying that my experience was stellar! I waited 14 months for the iQ to be released and once it was I picked it up at the dealership within a few days. Scion Corp worked their butts off to get my Navigation system since there were only 30 of them in the United States total. My five spoke hubcaps were not in stock when I picked up the iQ so they gave me a set from a Second Gen xB. Once the correct hubcaps came in they called me to come pick them up. They gave me a voucher for a free fill up on the iQ since I drove out to them. Hector and Michael at Scion of Glendora were a joy to work with. They made follow up calls to ensure I was happy. Come to think of it, they gave me a voucher for a free tank of gas the night I picked up the iQ.

The only complaint I have is that there is only one key with door activation. The second key is just a key. I would think two keys would be a better deal. Other than that I'm a happy camper.

That's awesome! I wish I could say the same but here I sit and wait for wheels and people to call me back. :( Just as a footnote, when I see your car, I wonder if I should have gone with white instead of Hot Lava.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Maggie, you can transfer your TPMS sensors over to your new wheels. I chose not to do that so I do drive around with the light on. =)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had my old TPMS sensors installed on my new factory alloy wheels.
I don't plan on installing TPMS sensors on the old steelies that I will use for snow tires.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
LOL The only issue with that is this... if I bought aftermarket wheels wouldn't my TPMS light be on all the time without the sensors? This is what I never really understood with the guys on here who have aftermarket wheels. Did they have the sensors installed? Or are they just driving around with a light on their dash?
as surf stated,AFTERMARKET,you will find a nicer rim,promise,and with the saved money,will pay for mounting and tpms install,and 2 dinners and a tank of gas.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as surf stated,AFTERMARKET,you will find a nicer rim,promise,and with the saved money,will pay for mounting and tpms install,and 2 dinners and a tank of gas.
Hmmm....I don't know about that. Getting aftermarket wheels, tires, TPMS and install won't be cheaper than that around here. I bought aftermarket wheels and a set of low profile tires for my SX when I had it and with everything included, it cost me around $1200. And that's from, pretty much, the cheapest guy around here.
My factory alloys are under $1000.

I'm not even sure if I can find a tire to fit my car around here. lol Seriously, this was taken from the website of the cheapest tire/wheel guy in the city (as far as I know anyway)

... 16" ...
215/6589.00
235/65110.00
205/6089.00
215/6089.00
225/6099.00
235/60110.00
205/5599.00
215/55110.00
205/50115.00
... 17" ...
215/65125.00
225/65130.00
215/60125.00
225/60130.00
215/55125.00
225/55130.00
235/55135.00
215/50125.00
225/50130.00
225/45130.00
235/45140.00

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
my rims,not that you like them were 410$,tire mount and tpms another 75$,they are 16by 7,and rubber is so readilly available its not funny,here anyway.the old rubber works well,and when they wear out you upgrade tires,years downthe road that should be.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Hey Maggiebite, same thing here. I've waited over a month and sent my salesman an e-mail. He called me the next day and said they finally came in. It was worth the wait for me because what a difference................

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, May 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Subject: Alloy Rims...........
To: Floyd Howell <[email protected]>

Hi Floyd,
I was wondering if you can find out where my Alloy Rims are ? It's been over a month now and paying almost $22,000 in cash for a car this bothers me Immensely. I believe that with such a long wait your dealership should allow me to keep the steel rims and hubcaps that are on the car now....I'm not happy with this waiting and believe that gifting the steel rims and caps is a reasonable comp ? Maybe you can light a fire under someone to get my rims delivered and installed.

I also wanted to Thank You for all you have done helping me ! From picking me up at home, to showing me how to link my phone to the head unit, and please keep me informed about when the Cruise Control becomes available for the "Q" .

I've attached a few pictures that you might enjoy. I ordered personalized plates that should be in next week, and I love Moonbuggy with a twist "MQQNBGY" Damn I Love "MIQ" .

Thank You again, Doug.........
IMG_1527.jpg

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
So far my experience has been really good. Granted, I haven't signed anything or tried getting extras in yet, but the salespeople were friendly, listened closely to my outlandish request for a custom color and have been running around doing everything they can to see to it. I got a phone call from the salesman I talked to giving me his personal cell and inviting me out to a test-ride (he knows I'm still getting my license taken care of0 any time, even going so far as to say if I'm available on a day he;s not echeduled for work to call him and we can work out a time that's good and he;ll come in just for me. He even called to let me know about the PS Vita deal they've got going.

I've been given pretty awesome treatment so far, but as I said, I haven't signed anything yet. We'll see if it stays stellar once they've got their check.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a an OK sales experience even though I had to find the Hot Lava that I wanted. They only had gray,black silver and pacific blue. They said that a Hot Lava would be a 3 month wait. I went to my Iphone and found a Hot Lava at one of THEIR dealerships in Massachusetts only 2 hours away from where I was buying the IQ. I showed them on my Iphone and all of a sudden I could now have a Hot Lava in a few days. What a miracle !!!!!!! It just goes to show you that if I didn't question them and do the work myself, I would (as most people would) have to take whatever is on the lot....
My wheels came in 1.5 weeks after I took delivery, and I just picked up the car tonight with it's new alloys. The service dept at my dealership leaves alot to be desired as I had made an appt for Monday morning to drop off and have a rental for 2 days at their cost as they were also going to repaint the front bumper. Since they got the vehicle from another dealer, there were some scratches and dings on the front bumper. I insisted before we left with the car that they would repaint and buff out the dings since I am purchasing a new car and not a car with nicks and scratches. I dropped the car as planned and received a call later that afternoon taht the car was ready. I was supposed to be leaving it overnight as they figured they would need it that long for the paint to dry and set. I went to the dealership to find my new wheels installed and the few other issues had been addressed. The front bumper was never touched. SO back into the rental and now 2 days later I have my new complete IQ. I did raise a stink and will be sending some emails and reviews online about my experience.
Just be sure to get what you want - You are the purchaser spending $16000.00 plus - You deserve to get the vehicle you want...

By the way - I got my Maine plates for the car and the rear plate went on fine - the front plate holes did not line up at alll with the holes on the IQ - How can they put the holes for the plates at 2 different widths!!!????!?!??!??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts