Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 51 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I have just purchased another vehicle and left the Q sitting for a week and a half to 2 weeks, and when we decided to drive the Q again, it just cranks and cranks, but won't start.

I am in NO WAY a mechanic, so I have no clue what to do. I did try to jump it, but it wouldn't jump, and I left the cables on the battery while the truck was running for a little while, and still nothing.

The battery seems to be fine, from what I can tell, and doesn't seem to be dragging.

Am I missing something? Is there a fuel shut-off, of some sort, or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the tips.

Yes, I did check the fuel, and I have a full tank.

And, yes, I was trying to jump it, just in case it needed it. I was just trying one of the only things I do know how to do, just in case I would get lucky.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get it started, but I took it to the dealer anyway.

It seemed to be flooded, but the tank was full (not sure if that means anything), and it was parked pretty level on my driveway.

Hopefully they will catch what it was, so I won't have any more surprises.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That does sound like what happened. I'm not sure what a failing timing belt sounds like, could you explain that?

When I tried to start it up, it seemed like it was cranking more rapidly than usual, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the sound, usually, I just listen for the start up.

If this is the case, I wonder if they could limit so much fuel from going into the engine, so it doesn't happen again. I'm not sure how much fuel can flood an engine. Are we talking about a few drops, or is it substantial?

I appreciate your input.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I got a call from the dealer yesterday, and they said they couldn't really find anything, other than a code in the computer that said something like "wouldn't start".

They kept it another day, so they can do some more tests. I am just lucky this happened right after I got my second car, 3 weeks ago. Otherwise I would be screwed. The Q was the only car me and my girlfriend share.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They had is for a few days, and they found....... NOTHING.

It drives just fine, but now I just don't have that peace of mind, that this BRAND NEW car will start up every time, on the first try.

And on top of that, I think I will clock about 28 mpgs on my next fill-up. What a waste of time.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good luck. I have a feeling the dealer won't find anything.

This hasn't happened to me, since that one time, so I'm hoping it was just because I started the car up, just to move it up a few feet, in the driveway, and then shut it off.

It makes sense that it could flood, because of that, but it doesn't make much sense to me that a brand new car would have something this simple, keep it from starting altogether.

Please post here, if they have anything to tell you.

1 - 8 of 51 Posts