Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for almost a month now and have been averaging 28MPG and have not even once cracked 30mph on any of my fills. I live in Northern NJ, where it is heavily congested, however I feel the car is doing far less than the advertised 36-37mpg!!!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I've had my car for almost a month now and have been averaging 28MPG and have not even once cracked 30mph on any of my fills. I live in Northern NJ, where it is heavily congested, however I feel the car is doing far less than the advertised 36-37mpg!!!
AHHH,ANOTHER ONE,my mileage is the same as yours,TERRIBLE,i realy dont mind ,i can afford it,but yes toyota must have gotten their numbers while testing with a MASSIVE tailwind.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Seems there are two types of iQs, mid 30-40 and then us others sub 30s. I hope there is something that will be discovered, like one production line or batch of cars got something in the computer miss-set. I can only wait and see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, I live in a HIGHLY congested area where traffic is horrendous. On the highway I tend to get 33-35mpg, however when its strict city commute I don't break 30 AT ALL. Compared to my prior 6 cylinder gas guzzler, I'll gladly take the 28mpg, but it's still frustrating to see how others even mention MPG as high as 43... Something has to be up.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Like I said, I live in a HIGHLY congested area where traffic is horrendous. On the highway I tend to get 33-35mpg, however when its strict city commute I don't break 30 AT ALL. Compared to my prior 6 cylinder gas guzzler, I'll gladly take the 28mpg, but it's still frustrating to see how others even mention MPG as high as 43... Something has to be up.
and it wont be untill this issue is brought up to the powers to be,BY MANY OF US ,that anything will be done,well,im glad im not the only one.but as i have said before,I DRIVE IT HARD.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It all depends on how you drive it. I'm getting mid-30s with no problem, but I'm not putting my pedal on the floor, or driving it like it's my old Mustang. It's not built for that. Keep that ECO light on. It will do wonders.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It all depends on how you drive it. I'm getting mid-30s with no problem, but I'm not putting my pedal on the floor, or driving it like it's my old Mustang. It's not built for that. Keep that ECO light on. It will do wonders.
That is how I drive, ECO light on as much as possible except for basic acceleration. Best average per tank mileage I have so far is 27mpg. The rest are closer to 25mpg per tank. I use to get 30-32mpg per tank in my '09 Honda Fit.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The engine is built to and will take full throttle all day longBUT getting substantial airetime over traintracks on long country roads and reverse dougnuts and hard cornering which feels like the bead of the rubber is guna pop outa the rim is NOT recomended, that said, those are the challenges my little buggy faces,i will let you know if,when i break something,so far so good.4 months.i jumped my 5 day old nissan cube at the river and it went wrong and crunched the front end,3900$.yeehaw.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
That is how I drive, ECO light on as much as possible except for basic acceleration. Best average per tank mileage I have so far is 27mpg. The rest are closer to 25mpg per tank. I use to get 30-32mpg per tank in my '09 Honda Fit.
High five Bohemian.them are terrible #s, mine may be SLIGHTLY better but i am solid heavy on the throttle.what do you feel about this, i dont expect much with my driving habbits,but it does sound like you try sometimes and you #s are terrible and you really take it well.i havent heard you come unglued once on here,lol.good job,but man there could be something wrong with our cars,i will look into it when mine goes in for warranty work when i snap a wheel or two of.dukes of hazard style.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Look at the difference in the look of the colours of your cars.both hot lava a vegases to me looksared to yours.cool. allmost red com

·
Registered
120 Posts
Since I got my iQ in February, the lowest I've gotten is 36. The average meter on the car says I'm getting 40.2 and the highest I've gotten was 42 so far. My mileage has improved as the engine is broken into. Just give it some time.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Since I got my iQ in February, the lowest I've gotten is 36. The average meter on the car says I'm getting 40.2 and the highest I've gotten was 42 so far. My mileage has improved as the engine is broken into. Just give it some time.
i was the first owner in canada,ive had it allmost 5 months,but i may be the exception to the rule,LOL.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess I baby mine too much...
I only notice reduced MPG when on the Interstate, traveling 65-75 MPH. Lucky to get 35 then.
But on rural state (paved) rods with minimal traffic I can get 40-45.

Sometimes I coast down hills, other times I just try to keep the ECO light on.
No hard starts or stops, and I am certainly not doing donuts or squealing the tires all day long like iqforyou...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have had mine for 2 months, 700 miles, and 5 1/2 tanks of gas. I pretty much baby the throttle looking for better mileage. Unless there is something wrong with my car that Toyota can fix, I feel I will never see 30mpg or better.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I guess I baby mine too much...
I only notice reduced MPG when on the Interstate, traveling 65-75 MPH. Lucky to get 35 then.
But on rural state (paved) rods with minimal traffic I can get 40-45.

Sometimes I coast down hills, other times I just try to keep the ECO light on.
No hard starts or stops, and I am certainly not doing donuts or squealing the tires all day long like iqforyou...
oh,no,this car CANT squeal the tires,no such torque bottom end,the hesitation to GET UP AND GO IS large.im not hard on it ALLWAYS,just often,doesnt say much for what i have owned but the IQ is the sportiest funnest car I have had the pleasures of driving.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is it normal to only get 19-20 on the freeway if you push past 65mph? seems pretty crazy.. this might actually have worse MPG than my current car :(

·
Registered
985 Posts
Is it normal to only get 19-20 on the freeway if you push past 65mph?
I seldom push much past 65, but cruising at that speed I see 38-40 mpg. Same around town if I try...if not more like 35-36. A bit better than my Yaris.

I suspect the iQ's 94 hp engine is does best mileage-wise when you cooperate with it a bit. If not....well, it is only has 94 hp. The wide flux in mpg between driving for performance and driving for mpg may simply have to do with the simple fact that the engine is relatively small. I drive with economy in mind and I find the #s agree with EPA estimates, if not slightly better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i Drive my IQ on the freeway 5 to 6 days a week to work and back, i hit 60 my least mph and 80my highest Mph and I'm still getting 36.5 mpg
i have over 1000 miles on it and only have had it for about a month (and keep my Eco light on as much as possible )

·
Registered
72 Posts
i Drive my IQ on the freeway 5 to 6 days a week to work and back, i hit 60 my least mph and 80my highest Mph and I'm still getting 36.5 mpg
i have over 1000 miles on it and only have had it for about a month (and keep my Eco light on as much as possible )
I'm on the freeway at over 70mph, and I'm getting 33+mpg. Once you figure out how to keep that Eco light on, it's really easy to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts