Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just thought I'd post a pic of the MGP caliper covers on my iQ. Very easy install, & they look great! I found them on Amazon, & they were $116.99 total. When I went to the company's website www.calipercovers.com there was something wrong with their shipping calculator & they were going to charge me $100 to ship the things. So they were going to end up costing me around $225. ummm no thanks! The only down side is Amazon only had them in red, so if you want them in any other color you'll need to try the website. I wanted red, so Amazon worked out nicely.

iQMGPcaliper covers.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks sharp - thanks for the picture!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
If you are having trouble with the shipping just call MGP and speak to Ben Wong. He'll hook you up.

They used my iQ for the R&D, great guys.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Those look nice. The maufacturers say the covers help dissipate heat and keep down brake dust...that's a good thing although I suspect the effect is minimal. I've never seen my brake calipers because I have steelies, but that is changing this week so this is something to consider.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have the black sand pearl iQ....I've already got the red TRD rear anti-sway bar, red
TRD center caps on my wheels, TRD shift knob, and matching red accent stripes and
red TRD emblems front and rear......so these red caliper covers would complement it
all quite nicely.
I just ordered me a set.....red accents against black make an awesome combination!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey guys! Just thought I'd post a pic of the MGP caliper covers on my iQ. Very easy install, & they look great! I found them on Amazon, & they were $116.99 total. When I went to the company's website www.calipercovers.com there was something wrong with their shipping calculator & they were going to charge me $100 to ship the things. So they were going to end up costing me around $225. ummm no thanks! The only down side is Amazon only had them in red, so if you want them in any other color you'll need to try the website. I wanted red, so Amazon worked out nicely.

That's a good price and they look really nice with the hot lava. I want the red ones also but not sure if they'll look good with my silver iq. I have the same wheels and the leather seats with red stitching and leather iq shift knob with (sharpie painted) red stitching so I think it will flow ok...Question for Dr. nick: is the caliper dust actually minimized with the covers?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Hey Taz, do you still have them on yours? The white on white looks really slick.
I currently am not running them. I shaved 3mm off the hubs on my front wheels to allow for more drop. We will need to shave the covers a little more to make the adjustment.

MGP can powder coat or paint the covers any color you wish including factory Scion colors. You can also have the engraving done to your specs. Mike, Ben and Angel along with all the guys at MGP are awesome to work with. If you order a set tell them TAZ sent you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question for Dr. nick: is the caliper dust actually minimized with the covers?
That's a great question! I wash my car pretty frequently, so I haven't noticed a huge build up of brake dust yet. It does appear to be cutting it down though. I guess the only real way to tell would be to take one of the covers off, then go a month without washing it. Here's a question for those with factory alloys, do you notice the front wheels "darker" with brake dust come time to wash, because I never have, & maybe that's due to the covers.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Where and why did you shave off 3mm to get a lower drop ?
3mm isn't very much !
Mistergib has it right. My wheels have a 45 offset and I needed more tuck on the front so I shaved the 3mm. It's actually quite a bit when you're dealing with a small space. The covers will still fit but they rub at the bottom edge. I'll have to trim more off and then repaint them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well, I bought and received the caliper covers....and I installed them. On my black sand
pearl iQ, I have the red TRD rear anti-sway bar, red accent stripes, red TRD center caps in my
aftermarket wheels, and red TRD badging front and rear.....so, I figured that the red caliper
covers would be the final touch.
After installing them, I personally think that they are too dominant behind the wheels
because of their large size...if I had larger 18" wheels and tires, they would probably be just
fine. MGP makes only one size of cover and adapts them to different applications, our
16" wheels and tires almost seem drarfed by these covers....and therefore look a little
odd to me....and scream "add-on" which I always try t stay away from. They just don't
need to be that big to properly cover our calipers.

So....I took them back off and took my mighty dremmel and cut them down to the size
that I think they should be for our small cars....they still cover the calipers just fine, but
they no longer overpower the asthetics of the wheels, by being more proportional in size
in relation to our cars.
It was very easy to do since these are made of aluminum, I will post some picks after the
paint dries and I get them re-installed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Actually it was an easy decision to make....I didn't like the way they looked because
of their size and the "MGP" lettering , and lastly...... I REALLY didn't didn't want to
have wasted $120!! (ouch!)
So, now they drying after being painted all red using high heat, ceramic, spray paint and
then 4 coats of clear-coat on top of that. I will then re-install them and post some pics.

·
Registered
196 Posts
.....be painting mine.......I don't want them to look like size 17 boots....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts