Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
It depends how fast you go.

I would say if you drive "normal" you will get about 34 mpg overall once you get used to the car. That with traffic idling and a top speed of 65-70 on occasion.

If I still lived on the East Coast where most people traveled at least 80mph I probably wouldn't buy this car. It seems to be optimal power-wise and efficiency-wise around 55 mph.

As far as handling on the freeway, it's not bad. Mine is lowered and has bigger rims now which made a big difference. When you drive a stock one and aren't quite used to the electric power steering it can feel weird at times, but I like mine now... I have no complaints.

The ride is average when it comes to bumps and what not. The wheelbase is short and the car is light, so I suppose that's normal. It handles pretty well after a little modding. I drive mine in "S" mode taking off ramps going as fast as I want and I haven't broke traction yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So far I like that hardly anyone else has one, so it draws attention at times. I like that it's been really easy to mod (some of my older cars were not). It's pretty easy at the fuel pump.... most weeks I spend about $25 or so. I also like the size of the car because it makes getting in/out of downtown easier for me... easier to change lanes and park...etc. I also enjoy the design of the car in the first place and appreciate a lot of the innovation that went into it. It took a lot of work to make it small/make it fit and still have it look cool and be functional.

The CVT (transmission) is also kind of neat. You sometimes don't realize how quick you can really go because you don't feel it "shift" (because it doesn't really), but you'll notice often that you can pick up and go quicker than a lot of cars despite having less than 100 horsepower. Sure, it's not a race car, but if you learn to use "S" and "B" mode on the shifter you can definitely accelerate as fast as you need to at any point and time.

Um... I also really like the mods I have... rims/springs = better handling..... speakers/amp/sub = better audio system. I feel like I get to reap the rewards each day I get to drive it, and it was also fun (for me) to install it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think with the IQ you know it's for you when you first see it. I knew I wanted one the first time I seen an ad for one on Craigslist. I was looking for something small and came across it by accident, my search ended there.

Other people have different opinions. Some think it's cool/cute... some laugh because of how short the car is (or maybe I'm just funny looking). People in big trucks think they are cooler, but at the gas pump I'm cooler.

Some people even complain with intensity because it's a little car and it DOES NOT get 45mpg+.... That's kind of dumb. It's not a hybrid and it's only a 1.3L engine. Ever the engine is pretty neat because it's a high compression motor (which normally would require premium fuel) but it runs on low octane (saves money).

Some people say stupid stuff to me like, "That looks cool, but good luck if you get in a car accident."

-REALLY!? It has a 4 Star safety rating and 11 airbags... I wonder how many their car has. Plus traction control and 4 wheel ABS.

And perhaps the most common complaint is when people compare the price to other cars in that range. Some say you can get 4 doors, more space... etc... this and that. I don't care. Other cars are not an IQ. I don't want a Prius. I didn't want a Fit... and I know I would hate the ride of a Smart. I got what I wanted when I bought the IQ.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i test drove the Iq last sunday, and i loved it, but family and some friends are telling me to look at other cars and bla bla and now I'm not sure what to do....
i've always liked small cars, i've had 2 vw beetles (1974 and a 1969)
I'm just a a little worried about the Mpg, some folks on this forum are not getting 30 mpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
You have to try really hard to get under 30mpg. It's because they are flooring it at every green light and probably driving 80 on the highway. With this car, the easier you take it, the better mpg you'll get. That's why I said if you drive it "normal" you'll get about 34mpg. I have heavy 18" rims and I am getting about 33mpg right now... and I don't always take it easy on the way home after work... I get her going pretty good sometimes.

It's wise to check your options, but you still have to drive your choice at the end of the day. Personally, in my life I end up doing what I want. Buy what you like.

Often I regret buying various things in my life because I'm impulsive, but so far I still like this car. In fact, I like it more now than when I first bought it.... it's weird.

NOTE:
You'll also notice there are people on this forum that claim 45mpg over hundreds of miles. It really depends how you drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
You have to try really hard to get under 30mpg. It's because they are flooring it at every green light and probably driving 80 on the highway. With this car, the easier you take it, the better mpg you'll get. That's why I said if you drive it "normal" you'll get about 34mpg. I have heavy 18" rims and I am getting about 33mpg right now... and I don't always take it easy on the way home after work... I get her going pretty good sometimes.

It's wise to check your options, but you still have to drive your choice at the end of the day. Personally, in my life I end up doing what I want. Buy what you like.

Often I regret buying various things in my life because I'm impulsive, but so far I still like this car. In fact, I like it more now than when I first bought it.... it's weird.

NOTE:
You'll also notice there are people on this forum that claim 45mpg over hundreds of miles. It really depends how you drive it.
im the guilty party,i do not get good mileage,but i certainly dont try,and you have seen the interior layout and probably realize you WILL not get four large humans in this car without the driver in a dangerous driving position,if most of your driving is city with mainly 2 people,there is nothing better,non hybrid out there.THE CAR IS A BLAST.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i drive on the freeway to work (40 to 50 miles a day) with just me and my girlfriend, never more then just us.. I'm thinking this car will be just fine for going to work and my daily driver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right now i drive a V6 mustang, i drive mostly 60 to 70 on the high way, I don't drive to fast now'a days

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the advice and knowledge, I'm going to test drive the Iq tomorrow for the 2nd time, if i like it the 2nd time around, i will buy it

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think with the IQ you know it's for you when you first see it. I knew I wanted one the first time I seen an ad for one on Craigslist. I was looking for something small and came across it by accident, my search ended there.

Other people have different opinions. Some think it's cool/cute... some laugh because of how short the car is (or maybe I'm just funny looking). People in big trucks think they are cooler, but at the gas pump I'm cooler.

Some people even complain with intensity because it's a little car and it DOES NOT get 45mpg+.... That's kind of dumb. It's not a hybrid and it's only a 1.3L engine. Ever the engine is pretty neat because it's a high compression motor (which normally would require premium fuel) but it runs on low octane (saves money).

Some people say stupid stuff to me like, "That looks cool, but good luck if you get in a car accident."

-REALLY!? It has a 4 Star safety rating and 11 airbags... I wonder how many their car has. Plus traction control and 4 wheel ABS.

And perhaps the most common complaint is when people compare the price to other cars in that range. Some say you can get 4 doors, more space... etc... this and that. I don't care. Other cars are not an IQ. I don't want a Prius. I didn't want a Fit... and I know I would hate the ride of a Smart. I got what I wanted when I bought the IQ.
I am totally agree with you. I have been waited for the iQ for so long (since the day Scion brought the iQ concept car over to US couple years ago). I drive 130miles everyday on the iQ (between work and home), mostly on the freeway. Been trying to drive slow around 65-75 and easy on gas when accelerate, and been getting 37-38MPG. Found that I can save even more gas when driving behind other cars with about 2 cars length distance in between to block some of that air drag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I drive my IQ all over LA (downtown, Beverly hills, Wilshire district). This is the perfect car for LA driving. Parking and mpg are excellent. I'm getting an avg of 35 mpg with "normal" driving. I highly recommend this car

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't buy an iQ just to beat on. There are plenty of used Civics at half the cost out there that deserve the beating.

If you're THAT hard up about the mpg go buy a Prius and leave us alone.

Buy an iQ if you've fallen in love with it at first sight.
Buy an iQ if you plan on making it your family pet and dressing it up funny in public.
Buy an iQ if you want a pocket rocket that will wipe the Smart off four two and eat Fiat 500's for breakfast.
Buy an iQ if you want to out-nerd your snobby sportscar-driving neighbors for less than half the cost.
Buy an iQ if "stock" is a 4-letter word to you.

Go unique or go home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts