Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals!

I really, really want a tow hook mounted license plate.

There's a company willing to make one, they just need to borrow your iQ for fitment.
Here's the info:

PTUNING; said:
PTUNING is currently looking for a local Scion IQ to design our Adjustable Front License Plate Holder. If you are located in Northern Virginia (zipcode: 20110), please pm us for more details.

Thank you.
Please reply here if you're interested: PTUNING: Adjustable Front License Plate Holder w/ Tow Hook Mount (tC, tC2, xB2, xD) - Scionlife.com

Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
what is the function of this item ?......
I would say, it is to give an alternate front mounting area for licence plate other than the center iQ logo spot. Front plates are requiered in my state, but because of a rewrite of the law, they left out the penalty part. So it is up to the courts if a ticket would be ligitamate. I like the center iQ cover and am not going to put a plate there. At least until I get pulled over. If so a side mount in the tow hook area might look nicer to me. I would have to see it finished.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will you put the plastic iQ plate back in the center spot or do you have other plans?
The main reason I'm doing this is because I don't want to remove the plastic iQ plate from my car. I was at a car meet and someone suggested that I look into this option.

what is the function of this item ?......
So that I don't have to drill holes in my car to relocate the license plate

Bump for anyone near or driving distance to Virginia! My 90 days is almost up and I need to put plates but no way am I taking that iQ sign in front.

Also, I need to confirm this, but I've been told that California has a new law starting July 1st that prohibits new cars from being driven after 90 days if they don't have their plates. The window sticker is no longer enough and the owner takes responsibility for getting the plates installed within 90 days

·
Registered
353 Posts
Why not just rig up a license plate bracket to attach to your existing tow hook or get a bolt the right size and attach a bracket to it?
BTW, nice video about the tow hook

·
Registered
985 Posts
The main reason I'm doing this is because I don't want to remove the plastic iQ plate from my car.
That makes sense....even moreso if you find front plates are now required.

It'd be cool if you could modify a spare iQ plate to hold a license place and then switch them out if you are at a car show. I think the blasted double-sided tape kills that option though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That makes sense....even moreso if you find front plates are now required.

It'd be cool if you could modify a spare iQ plate to hold a license place and then switch them out if you are at a car show. I think the blasted double-sided tape kills that option though.
where's the double sided tape?

·
Registered
985 Posts
where's the double sided tape?
On the iQ plate (I have one uninstalled) a strip of double-sided tape runs along each end right at the outer edge (whether installers use this or not is another question, especially if it is to be temporary). There are two mechanical fasteners, too, so you probably already have holes in your bumper for these. The fasteners are at the top of the plate about 3 inches in from the edges. I suspect these correspond to traditional plate mountings so no additional holes would be needed...just a guess.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Another thought....MINI owners (and perhaps others) have had tow-hook-mounted plate holders for many years. They sell lots of them. Perhaps you could check on-line to see if threading would match up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the iQ plate (I have one uninstalled) a strip of double-sided tape runs along each end right at the outer edge (whether installers use this or not is another question, especially if it is to be temporary). There are two mechanical fasteners, too, so you probably already have holes in your bumper for these. The fasteners are at the top of the plate about 3 inches in from the edges. I suspect these correspond to traditional plate mountings so no additional holes would be needed...just a guess.

Uhm.. yeah, my iQ plastic plate did not come installed either. The dealer took it upon themselves to drill another set of holes for the dealer license plate holder. I snapped in the plate using the plastic fasteners and I have a feeling that you'd have to take out the whole bumper to get it off now lol

as far as using another one for a different car, I tried the tow hook from an xA and that doesn't even match. the hole for the iQ is too shallow so a generic mount might be too long for it, just a guess

·
Registered
24 Posts
you have to run with a front tag in maryland. so my husband removed the plastic iQ logo tag and fastened it onto the wall in the iQ's bay on the garage wall. #1 it sort of reserves that spot for the iQ, and #2 he put it so that I can also rest my door against it if needed and not hit the wall.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting idea using the the tow hook threaded connection. Wonder if a small piece of "metric threaded" plastic pipe in the hole and then mount a licence plate mount to that ....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Still nobody in the north Virginia area to let them get a fitment for this? In the other forums they said who ever let's them use their iQ gets the first production model free of charge. If you don't like it you could always sell it in the classifieds.

I would love one of these so I can paint my iQ plate and put it back on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
Couldn't they engineer it just from the attachment any iQ owner has in their trunk? How much could it cost to mail that thing to them? (I'll mail them mine if they give me an address...I'll never use it!)

BTW, I'd definitely buy one....drilling holes in my front bumper makes me cringe! (In a few other iQ's I've seen in Colorado, some just put the plate in the front window since it's the law here to have it on both front/back.)

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Couldn't they engineer it just from the attachment any iQ owner has in their trunk? How much could it cost to mail that thing to them? (I'll mail them mine if they give me an address...I'll never use it!)

BTW, I'd definitely buy one....drilling holes in my front bumper makes me cringe! (In a few other iQ's I've seen in Colorado, some just put the plate in the front window since it's the law here to have it on both front/back.)
Agreed appears all they really need is the specs on the threads, if anything else a measurement from the end of the threads to the edge of the bumper itself, but shouldn't be so complicated as to need the entire car from pics of their other products I have seen. Heck ill lend them my tow hook if they want, no big deal

·
Registered
281 Posts
Agreed appears all they really need is the specs on the threads, if anything else a measurement from the end of the threads to the edge of the bumper itself, but shouldn't be so complicated as to need the entire car from pics of their other products I have seen. Heck ill lend them my tow hook if they want, no big deal

I was thinking the same thing. I contacted them and waiting to hear back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts