Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you transport an 8-foot kayak on the iQ? Easy. I bought a Lifetime™ Lotus 8-foot single-rider kayak from Sports Authority today ($179.99) and a Yakima Kayak Carrier (part #04054) made for roofs with racks or no racks. After spending about 15-30min trying to figure out how to mount the kayak on the iQ for the first along with a couple of duffle bag shoulder straps and carabiner laying around the house, I got it on and made it home safely. I didn't use all of the included straps from the kayak carrying kit. When I got home, I made a couple of improvements to my transporting method. Enjoy the pics!

The Lifetime™ brand Lotus 8' single-rider kayak (formerly known as Calypso) is just 2 feet shorter than the iQ.

First, attached the non-skid foam blocks. Don't let the blocks touch the ground or else it'll attract dirt. It'll scratch your paint. Secure the blocks with straps.

Remove the stock antenna by twisting it (lefty loosey). Load the kayak on the roof. It only weighs 40 pounds. I'm glad I've been working out ;)

This was a quick solution which I improved later. I've attached a loop that will catch onto the latch of the hatchback. See improved method at the end.

This (marginally) secures the stern. I made improvements when I got home. I did make it home safely.

I've attached another loop that catches the hood's latch. I'm sure I'll improve this part sometime soon.

The bow is secured.

Lastly, the entire beam (middle part of the kayak or boat) is secured with a strap that goes through the interior of the car.

All (marginally) secured and ready to go home. I will take it out on the lake maybe tomorrow.

Still on? Good. Let's keep driving.

Stopped by Home Depot to find other solutions. Didn't find what I was looking for.

Lookin' good!

Not bad for a little bugger with big dreams! :)

Home. You can see (one of) the reasons why I bought an iQ. Condo. One parking space. Three (used to be four) motorcycles in my household. :cool:

Another look.

One little improvement. Get the strap once or twice around the built-in handle on the kayak.

Another improvement.

There you have it. I'm sure I'll make more improvements on the way I transport my new kayak. Now get out there and enjoy the outdoors!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
RexIQ,
Nice kayak, I assume you use it in the surf? Also neat V7 Classic Moto Guzzi. Can't make out the other two bikes.
I have two rubber duckies that we use in whitewater here in WNC. I'm going to rig up my trailer to carry them behind my IQ next year when I don't have my truck here.
I'm down to one moto, a 2001 Kawasaki W650. Hopefully no more MBS (Multi Bike Syndrome) for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very creative - good job!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Barnone, I haven't used it in the surf yet. I will try it one of these days. For now, I'm just cruising down the lake and the bay.

I own the Moto Guzzi. I used to have, get this, 5 bikes in that parking space and my SUV had to park outside. I owned a Suzuki SV650, BMW K75 and a Vespa GTV250 all at once. Then my roommate has the Moto Guzzi Breva and Aprilia Shiver you see in the picture. I'm down to just one bike and I'm very happy with it. Onto other, less expensive hobbies I guess. LOL.

RexIQ,
Nice kayak, I assume you use it in the surf? Also neat V7 Classic Moto Guzzi. Can't make out the other two bikes.
I have two rubber duckies that we use in whitewater here in WNC. I'm going to rig up my trailer to carry them behind my IQ next year when I don't have my truck here.
I'm down to one moto, a 2001 Kawasaki W650. Hopefully no more MBS (Multi Bike Syndrome) for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts