Scion IQ Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
it may work because the car was designed with the specific tire size... there are cars with different diameter wheels/tires for the front and rear, 18 in. front/19 in. rear.

the IQ have same size tire all around. In the case of 175/60 and 185/55, the difference is so small that it may work ok, but that's something that I personally wouldn't consider with such a short wheelbase.

It may just work if Mercedes goes a little further...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
it may work because the car was designed with the specific tire size... there are cars with different diameter wheels/tires for the front and rear, 18 in. front/19 in. rear.

the IQ have same size tire all around. In the case of 175/60 and 185/55, the difference is so small that it may work ok, but that's something that I personally wouldn't consider with such a short wheelbase.
For the Mercedes, I suspect the slightly shorter rear tires caused the rear brake pads to wear out super fast vs the front. Maybe I should do this to burn out my brake shoes? Then I won’t feel guilty tearing everything apart to change to rear discs and I can finally update the drum fo disc thread…

·
Registered
217 Posts
perhaps the rear brake pads are smaller than the front and had to work harder/wear faster.

For the Mercedes, I suspect the slightly shorter rear tires caused the rear brake pads to wear out super fast vs the front. Maybe I should do this to burn out my brake shoes? Then I won’t feel guilty tearing everything apart to change to rear discs and I can finally update the drum fo disc thread…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Everyone is so helpful. Thanks, y'all. Im trying to wade through all of the posts, and make a decision, so... I'm thinking 185/55 r16, since the specs were so close.
(However, 185/60 r16 is second choice?)
From my understanding of the posts, I would put the 185/55 r16 with the OEM wheels on the back, and put the OEM still good tires & wheels on the front, until i replace those next? I mostly do in-town driving, and some highway driving.
Is my understanding of all of the info correct?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts