Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking for weeks.(United States)
The only 175/60 r16 tires in stock on the web or locally are Goodyear $150 each (average).

I bought four Forenza FD2 a couple of years ago, and now I need at least two new ones.
I paid like $60 per tire back then.

Now, no one has those or Dunlap or Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc. Only Goodyear$.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Yes sorry I just went and searched for that Federal Formoza tire and it seems to be gone from stock anywhere.

I'm personally waiting for my current Goodyear tires to fail me, they have cracks on the very edge of the tread next to the sidewall that I am concerned about even though the tread is still good.

My plan is to purchase some wider wheels which will accommodate size 195/55R16. Very economical options appear to be available in that size, my personal goal is RunFlats. (Not cheaper but just a personal preference since the iQ doesn't have a spare).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
Actually we may be all forced to a different size tire, which is fine by me since the those tires seem to develop cracks early in life. I went to Goodyear.com and the only tire listed for that size was a winter Dunlop RunFlat. I can't, (at least personally), use a winter tire in our Southern California weather...

·
Registered
217 Posts
mine has only 14k miles and have developed more cracks on the sidewall now. I don't know if that would cause a blowout or the rubber will just chunk off in pieces. I never had any tires cracked like that with such low mileage. I would never buy any set of Goodyears and will likely to go with 185/60 instead.

I'm personally waiting for my current Goodyear tires to fail me, they have cracks on the very edge of the tread next to the sidewall that I am concerned about even though the tread is still good.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
mine has only 14k miles and have developed more cracks on the sidewall now. I don't know if that would cause a blowout or the rubber will just chunk off in pieces. I never had any tires cracked like that with such low mileage. I would never buy any set of Goodyears and will likely to go with 185/60 instead.

If the crack that I'm seeing extends all around the circumference I expect eventually the tread will separate. I've never driven on the raw belts before but I'd expect sparks/flames (check YouTube) and loss of control.

Good to see you around thank you for sharing an option that fits the original Scion 16" wheels!

·
Registered
217 Posts
there were 'retread' tires long ago that had tread completely separated from the tires. I don't see any major cracks on the actual tread (the part of the tire that roll on the road). I'd be surprised if the Goodyear would do that, but it is just an assumption/hope.

If the crack that I'm seeing extends all around the circumference I expect eventually the tread will separate. I've never driven on the raw belts before but I'd expect sparks/flames (check YouTube) and loss of control.

Good to see you around thank you for sharing an option that fits the original Scion 16" wheels!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum!!!

Yes sorry I just went and searched for that Federal Formoza tire and it seems to be gone from stock anywhere.

My plan is to purchase some wider wheels which will accommodate size 195/55R16. Very economical options appear to be available in that size, my personal goal is RunFlats. (Not cheaper but just a personal preference since the iQ doesn't have a spare).

Hi. Thank you for the welcome and the response. Will 195/55 r16 fit with no rubbing in the wheelwell? Will the speedometer read correctly? Im still trying to figure out what other wheel sizes would work, if i go that route. Expensive up front cost, but more and cheaper tire options now, and the future.
Are there other sizes that would work, too? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with 185/55/16 on the OEM rims.
Insignificant size difference with minimal effect on behavior and speedometer accuracy, the car looks better and there were more than one tires to choose from.
BTW, I never keep tires for more than 5 years regardless of mileage as I believe that age is also important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. Thank you for the welcome and the response. Will 195/55 r16 fit with no rubbing in the wheelwell? Will the speedometer read correctly? Im still trying to figure out what other wheel sizes would work, if i go that route. Expensive up front cost, but more and cheaper tire options now, and the future.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
While I haven't confirmed in person, I did get the tire size recommendation from www.tirerack.com .

This black wheel is the cheapest option on Tire Rack at $136 a piece for 16x7 ET +40.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I've been using 195/55/16 for years. That's as big as you can go. 185/55/16 is virtually identical to 17/60/16 in circumference and only 1cm wider . You could even mix them with OEM if you put 185s in the back 175s in front. 185 can be had for as cheap as $50 if you look around. 175/60/16 is a specific size just for IQ and Goodyear Assurance is the only tire available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
185/55/16 185/60 won't fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went with 185/55/16 on the OEM rims.
Insignificant size difference with minimal effect on behavior and speedometer accuracy, the car looks better and there were more than one tires to choose from.
BTW, I never keep tires for more than 5 years regardless of mileage as I believe that age is also important.

View attachment 17165
Wow! You can put that size on the original rims?😲
Thank you
I went to www.tires.com (Discount Tire aka America's Tire) website.

It gave 185/60R16 as an optional choice. Were you able to try this size and got rubbing?
Really confusing. Amazon gave this as the only alternative for our 16" wheels
Azure Rectangle Font Aqua Parallel

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
@Rand I went to Tire Rack's website and checked the specs four of each:

185/60R16 will fit down to a minimum 5" wide wheel per tire manufacturer

205/50R16 will fit down to a minimum 5.5" wide wheel per tire manufacturer

Our OE wheels are 5" wide so I'm afraid Amazon is mistaken.

(I just bought my college student two eBook textbook gifts. Because they were redeemed they are non-refundable! Argh if they were purchased directly by me or him they may have returned the money but gifted no. Sigh. I hope they put the warning on their webpages I am going to avoid them if possible from now on...)

·
Registered
217 Posts
185/55/16 185/60 won't fit.
both tires are 10mm wider. so the only difference for 185/55 is about 3mm shorter on the sidewall and 185/60 is about 6mm taller as compared to 175/60

neither tire is perfect fit, but the difference is insignificant to effect the performance of the car.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
it is not recommended to put 175/60 on the front and 185/55 on the back. You don't want taller tire on the front than the back.
This is an interesting concern. Thank you for the thought.

I noticed something strange on my mother's 2009 Mercedes C350 in the past so I dug it up:

Front 225/45R17
Rear 245/40R17

Per America's Tire calculator
Difference
Sidewall height -0.13"
Tire height -0.26"
Tire circumference -0.82"
Rev/mi +8.52

Rear brake pads wore out QUICK like in under 30k mi. Front pads still thick at time.

For the proposed:
175/60R16
185/55R16

Per America's Tire calculator
Difference
Sidewall height -0.12"
Tire height -0.24"
Tire circumference -0.76"
Rev/mi +8.37

It may just work if Mercedes goes a little further...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts