Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried some LED brake lights in their iQ?
What about turn lamps?

If so, what brand/vendor have you used?

I know it takes a 7443 / T20 equivalent...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Not yet but it's on the list of things to do.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i do! but when break are "on" the light and all the dashboard light too !!! i buy two module for correct this error,(led i buy allready correct this error normaly) and it's the same thing
so i came back OEM and send all light to dealer ....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey master-yoda... how the how did you do that ?
LED bulbs are direct replacement items :confused: you shouldn't have any of these problems !

I am currently using superbrightleds.com # 7443-R45-T (very pleased with them; 45-LED construction is their brightest 7443)
45-LED 7440/7443 Tower Wedge Bulb Specifications

important notes worth going thru:
Super Bright LEDs - Conversion to LED Car Bulbs

Most (all?) 3157 will not make it thru the access hole. Scion iQ socket is not mounted on a sub-ass'y but rather direct into the tail lamp housing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I've bought many items from superbriteleds.com, great stuff and good prices too!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LED bulbs are direct replacement items :confused: you shouldn't have any of these problems !

I am currently using superbrightleds.com # 7443-R45-T (very pleased with them; 45-LED construction is their brightest 7443)

Most (all?) 3157 will not make it thru the access hole. Scion iQ socket is not mounted on a sub-ass'y but rather direct into the tail lamp housing
So did you need load resistors for anything?
Are they a direct replacement?
And lastly, did you notice a big difference in visibility?
(I know, hard to tell when you are driving...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Direct replacement for brake/tail applications; LED low curent draw is not an issue... it even is favorable to your brake pedal switch which will last forever.

Turn signal applications to behave properly require an electronic flasher or load resistors (to emulate an incandescent lamp)... go thru the notes on the site above.

Brighter and instantaneous they are... no question compared to incandescent.
This is what commands attention in heavy traffic

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I will need to find a relay replacement.
Probably dig into that this weekend.
Did you replace your turn-signal bulbs with led's?
(sorry for all the questions...)

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Looks like I will need to find a relay replacement.
Probably dig into that this weekend.
Did you replace your turn-signal bulbs with led's?
(sorry for all the questions...)
questions are very welcome here mr.Micky,ask away.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pardon me if this sounds like a dumb question, but what is the point in replacing bulbs with LED's...? Brightness? Energy consumption? I don't understand.... and as a troubleshooter, if all of those LED bulbs didn't work for you, are you sure they were getting the right voltage or they were the right polarity? I doubt all the bulbs were bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You'll find that the light on the dash is due to the LED's not creating the electrical resistance of a normal bulb, so yes you'll need to either buy the bulbs that are classed as 'CANBUS' or fit the extra resistors in the wires.

Fish

·
Registered
536 Posts

i know, i buy no OBD error led like you, but they don't work, the led work correctly, but when i push break pedal, the front light go on and the dashboard to, like i turn on the light...

i replace my turn-signal bulbs with led's no OBD error too, and they light very fast, i buy special ressistor for this but same issue.

i replace rear fog light and forward light too, no soucy except brightness not realy efficient

i replace my front fog light and no lighting with new light

so i came back oem (except for T10 in front and licence plate light)

my car had 20 000km and go on service last week, nothing to signal, nothing wrong on electric circuit...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pardon me if this sounds like a dumb question, but what is the point in replacing bulbs with LED's...? Brightness? Energy consumption? I don't understand.... and as a troubleshooter, if all of those LED bulbs didn't work for you, are you sure they were getting the right voltage or they were the right polarity? I doubt all the bulbs were bad.
That is it exactly. Power consumption and brightness. Not to mention longevity. LED's will last 100 times longer than regular filament bulbs, and they are also much 'quicker' to turn on and off. In a directional light situation, it is much more noticeable than a standard filament bulb, which in comparison seemingly glows on then glows off. An LED is instant on, instant off, and with the superbright LED's available these days, using less power and having a brighter bulb is a good thing.

The anemic little battery in the iQ looks like it doesn't have a lot of reserve power, so anything I can do to reduce the load and prevent the charging system from working so hard should, IMHO, actually improve mileage. This is why it will be important to replace the relays if needed, to avoid having power-robbing load resistors in the circuit.

Just my take on the situation, YMMV...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
That is it exactly. Power consumption and brightness. Not to mention longevity. LED's will last 100 times longer than regular filament bulbs, and they are also much 'quicker' to turn on and off. In a directional light situation, it is much more noticeable than a standard filament bulb, which in comparison seemingly glows on then glows off. An LED is instant on, instant off, and with the superbright LED's available these days, using less power and having a brighter bulb is a good thing.

The anemic little battery in the iQ looks like it doesn't have a lot of reserve power, so anything I can do to reduce the load and prevent the charging system from working so hard should, IMHO, actually improve mileage. This is why it will be important to replace the relays if needed, to avoid having power-robbing load resistors in the circuit.

Just my take on the situation, YMMV...
thank you micky,for the explanation,now i will see about this for my iq.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I need to find the turn signal relay.
I don't actually know if I need to replace it yet, but if I do, I want to know exactly the model number and type.

Anyone have any ideas where it is and how to get to it?

It is not located in any of the three fuse boxes, so there must be some other panel where this relay plugs in.

I ordered the LED brake lamps today, we;ll see how that goes. I am not gonna order the turn signal lamps until I know if I have to replace the relay as well in order to avoid load resistors...

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Micky, yes you will have to add resistors the current relay is not worth changing as the ones available are only good for a two bulb change. Resistors all the way around for me no need to take apart the dash for a half ass job!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts