Scion IQ Forums banner

Least expensive way to boost power in the Scion IQ

35655 Views 48 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  nis350
What would be my best bang for buck mod to make to the IQ to boost the engine power?
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This wont give you any more power but it may move your IQ better/Faster.

Try turning off the Traction Control, & Start off in "S" Mode.

Post back your how your IQ did
This wont give you any more power but it may move your IQ better/Faster.

Try turning off the Traction Control, & Start off in "S" Mode.

Post back your how your IQ did
What exactly is "S" mode and why is it important? What kind of gain are we talking for the intake versus the price?
S MODE,in the manuall reffers to it as a braking mode,which i do use it that way often,allso from experience i am finding ALL that S mode seems to do is hold the rpms up around 3000 rpm for a SLIGHTLY quicker throttle response when ALLREADY in motion,when in S mode the ECO fuell saving feature is non exsistent.from a stopped start off i have noticed ABSOLUTELLY NO difference in the excelleration,i find it to be most usefull for coming to stops and not for starting off,i have allso drove in S mode for a complete tank of gas and the iq got considerably less MPG,roughly 50 kilometers less per tank.this is just from my experience of course,HAVE A GREAT DAY TO ALL,PEACE.
A Hayabusa motor is all you need to make the iQ a sleeper. :)
Hahaha! Awesome. :)
Mighty Car Mods just did a test comparing stock air boxes, cone filters and cold air intakes. In most cases there was no noticeable difference in power. In some cases the aftermarket parts generated less power than the stock airbox.

They say it has to create at least a 10% gain in hp to even be felt by the driver. At best, a CAI sticking out of the bumber (not very realistic idea) would increase about 3% hp. In the IQ that/s less than 3hp.
I'm not really sure how the supercharger kit would fare. I would guess it could add around 20% more hp safely. That would be enough to feel, but would barely put the IQ at 120hp. The IQ weighs just over 2,000lbs so I'm thinking it would be like driving a 3600lb car with about 216hp. You would also have to consider how the CVT would react since the Gazoo Supercharged IQ was a 6 speed manual... I have no idea how the CVT would respond to more power. I think it would deal with it well, but it would definitely stress the chain/belt a bit more causing premature (and expensive) failure.

I'm not sure if the initial $5k and future worn out tranny would be worth it... vs. just buying a CRX with a 200hp motor swap.
Another things that seems bad is that the IQ motor is already a high compression engine. If you add forced induction into that mix... I would expect a blown head gasket in the near future.
I'm not really sure how the supercharger kit would fare. I would guess it could add around 20% more hp safely. That would be enough to feel, but would barely put the IQ at 120hp. The IQ weighs just over 2,000lbs so I'm thinking it would be like driving a 3600lb car with about 216hp. You would also have to consider how the CVT would react since the Gazoo Supercharged IQ was a 6 speed manual... I have no idea how the CVT would respond to more power. I think it would deal with it well, but it would definitely stress the chain/belt a bit more causing premature (and expensive) failure.

I'm not sure if the initial $5k and future worn out tranny would be worth it... vs. just buying a CRX with a 200hp motor swap.
Superchargers usually give about 40% increase in hp and torq, which is pretty good but the kits usually cost 3k-5k.
Superchargers usually give about 40% increase in hp and torq, which is pretty good but the kits usually cost 3k-5k.
They can at higher psi, but that's why I said safely. lol
people will notice you!
In an iQ they will notice you either way.
Go try to stick your fingers in the stock air intake port, then tell me a CAI will do nothing. The iQ comes TOO economy tuned. Its like trying to race a greyhound breathing through a straw. Its much peppier at freeway speeds with any CAI at all.

I'm waitin' for somebody to market a bolt-on iQ kit for supercharger. I ain't got the time or the dyno to tune one myself.
The Rotrex SC is a night and day difference just adding about 25 hp. The IQ goes from, feeling like you need to get out an push to, hey this thing is pretty fast!
Agree...Never try, never know.. once u try, u will not under control.. i bet u sure pushing all the way :)

The Rotrex SC is a night and day difference just adding about 25 hp. The IQ goes from, feeling like you need to get out an push to, hey this thing is pretty fast!
re-locate your stock airbox to the outside of your car, you can cut a hole in the bumper just to the left of the hood latch and run the stock airhose out, when i first did this i noticed slightly better acceleration and 45mpg
re-locate your stock airbox to the outside of your car, you can cut a hole in the bumper just to the left of the hood latch and run the stock airhose out, when i first did this i noticed slightly better acceleration and 45mpg
Seriously? Cut The Bumper?!?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
on the cars right, your left, my bumper has been shredded by rocks so i dont really care about cutting the bumper, but it does make the car look weird
I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion of weight savings to improve performance. Every 23 lbs removed from the IQ is an effective HP gain. Taking away weight is the cheapest option. Lighter wheels (which improves unsprung weight), and a rear seat delete would be the cheapest way to make the IQ faster.
Seriously? It's a 1.3L tuned for economy. A retune might get you a little gain, but at the end of the day it's still a very small engine.
Sell the iQ and buy a used Sport bike.

I would say losing weight like Gent mentioned. Didn't cost you a dime.
Reminds me of an old Sport Compact Car magazine article where they chopped up a Nissan Sentra to go faster. That article might be lost due to magazine not existing anymore. I found this pic though.

See less See more
21 - 40 of 49 Posts