Scion IQ Forums banner

Least expensive way to boost power in the Scion IQ

40K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  nis350 
Premium octane pump gasoline plus octane booster, specifically Lucas octane booster. $8 to $12 a bottle and it can treat up to 25 gallons of fuel. It's proven to raise octane by 3 numbers so 91 AKI octane fuel becomes 94 AKI octane fuel. (94 AKI octane = 99 RON.)

Our engines come from the factory with an 11.5:1 static compression ratio and a "wideband" flat response knock sensor.

The high compression, increased detonation resistance of the fuel, plus the ECU's advanced knock detection capability causes the latter to advance ignition timing, run cleaner (via increased combustion efficiency) and make extra power.

Note the increased power and higher torque at less RPM the EEC market 1NR-FE makes on 95 RON fuel versus the JIS market 1NR-FE makes on 91 RON.

Assuming similar gains with 99 RON fuel it would be good for roughly 103 PS and 145 Nm or 101.59 horsepower and 106.95 lb-ft of torque. I've never validated it via a dyno, but in practice it feels about right.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

Thank you for sharing that higher octane fuel makes a difference!

Um, that Lucas octane booster has MMT, they just rearranged the order of the letters to start with T. (Check the SDS and technical sheet attachment you can download from their website. I’m afraid they put an amount beyond the legal street limit as well). (I did not rearrange “legal street limit” that way on purpose, it just seemed the correct order when I typed it)!

MMT from research coats everything a strange orange/rusty color. Most (all that I am aware of) vehicle manufacturers instructions say not to use the stuff but I haven’t seen them explain why.

I guess similar to lead manganese (in that form) is an octane booster, but may be a health hazard…
It can potentially cause premature wear of spark plugs over time. Definitely not optimal long-term but it's an inexpensive short-term track oriented solution. This AutoGuide article is a good read about all the pros and cons of octane boosters.

High quality premium fuel by itself still offers decent gains over regular fuel for daily use. Shell V-Power for the win. 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.