Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..... I am in the market for a lightly used IQ for my wife and I. We need it as a 2nd family car, I plan to retire my 2008 Accord which I have had since new. No kids, no pets so I think the Iq will fit our needs for running around town. We are almost 60ish so I like the big doors and it's sort of odd nature. My 2008 Accord was a good car BUT it was recalled many times for air bags, brakes and for excessive oil consumption. The dealer was great but I want a fairly problem free car this time...I know all cars have bugs etc... but I don't want a repeat. With the Iq is there a preferred model year?? I have heard some people say to stay away the 1st year of a model as they have bugs and kinks to work out. Is that true with the IQ?? Seems to me I have seen some posts about excessive oil usage(Bad Rings) in 2012's. Is there any truth to that? Was it specific to any certain Model year to steer clear of ??? There are quite a few listings for them within a 5 hour drive. I have seen 2012's with 25 k on them for sale as well as 13's, 14's and 15's..... Are there any upgrades to the newer models feature wise that I should consider??? or are they all the same except for the series 10.... As always I am looking for the best bang for my buck and would appreciate any suggestions from the membership....I tend to keep my cars for ten years so they are pretty used up when I am finished with them...Looking for some input from IQ owners 2012..2013..2014 or 2015....Thanks Big AL

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
771 Posts
I found two ‘14 iQ Monogram Editions when I was searching last year. One was at Toyota of Puyallup in WA, the other was at a smaller non-Toyota dealership in Sacramento. We drove to see the one in Sacramento exactly 400 miles as noted on the navigation system. I came home with it after maybe an hour or two at the dealership.

The ‘12 white color seems to have quite a few people having paint peeling complaints.

The newer ones have a more updated infotainment system. So try to research a little about the difference. I was specifically looking for a Monogram. It has a larger screen as I understand. I like the newer one, and bought a used nav box from LKQ and retrofitted it. One warning is that I have not figured out if there is a current/recent map update for it.....

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
771 Posts
I have not had any noise issues from the CVT, but I have read some about it. Mine has less than 15k miles at the moment, the one new member who posted about a whine has 95.5k miles. I suggested trying to get the CVT fluid checked/changed...

I may look into a Valvoline or Amsoil CVT fluid equivalent when the time comes to change it.

I did my first oil change last year on September 17 I think I saw in my post. I used a very fancy Mobil 1 Annual Protection which I buy at Walmart. I like how it runs with it, but may be just me feeling good about spending money on her....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all good info.....I use Pensoil 5-20 synthetic oil in my current car...Walmart special....Have you heard anything on high oil usage on the 2012 IQ? For example with my Accord it was bad 6-7 month run only poor quality rings..They re-built it but it was a pain getting there.....There has to be a lot of Toyota DNA in that Scion iQ...Big AL

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
771 Posts
I think I may have read a little about it in a sticky, towards the top of a forum page on a computer. (I’m mostly on TapaTalk though, where I don’t see them much).

Hopefully someone else can chime in!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked at it this way. Yes, 2012 was the first production year in the US, but not for the car. According to Wikipedia, it began production in 2008. I just purchased a one owner, 2012 iQ myself, with 71,xxx miles on it. I have only been driving it for less than two weeks, so I cannot comment any further.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
771 Posts
That’s a good point. We have an ‘04 Toyota Sienna. First year of 2nd Generation. I have received quite a few recall notices/warranty enhancement notices which have extra coverage, up to 10 years for sticky/cracked dash. (That is a more high volume vehicle here in the US though).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True enough folks.....There are 2012's with 25-30 kms...which is super low milage..... I want one with low enough milage to add cruise control...Did all the years have GPS as an option? Satellite radio option??

·
Registered
219 Posts
some 2012 models have rod knock issues that required replacement of the engine in some cases.. some pearl white models have peeling issues. the 2014 and up models have touch screen radio with Nav options instead of the ones with push buttons. there are options like alloy wheels, rear hatch spoiler, fog lights, kick door plate etc...

i don't know if or when toyota updated rod/crank lubricant components to address the rod knock issues... Not sure if the IQ CVT trans is any good, but I heard toyota has one of the better built one in the market in general.

i personally would get the 2013 and up models just to be safe as the price isn't that much difference.

I bought my 2014 over a year ago for similar reasons as yours, and I am quite happy with it. It drives surprisingly well on the highway and my husky fits well at the back with the back seats folded down. I have only put gas in the car so far and I gets between 35 to 38 mpg.

good luck...

True enough folks.....There are 2012's with 25-30 kms...which is super low milage..... I want one with low enough milage to add cruise control...Did all the years have GPS as an option? Satellite radio option??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 is with right around 70k miles on it, factory spoiler and fog lamps, and it came with aftermarket wheels. It's Blizzard Pearl White, which started peeling about two weeks after I bought it. The Honda dealership I purchased it from said I'm SOL, as did the Toyota dealership in the same group owned by Roger Penske. I also contacted (numerous times) Toyota USA and was told it was a dealership issue.

At the dealerships and Toyota USA corporate, each one pointed to the other. I made point of the number of forum threads and posts about the paint peeling from iQs of this colour. Their response to that gas consistently been that, because there were no bulletins or recalls, it's not a problem.

Thankfully, I have had no other major issues. Occasionally it will produce a whining noise under the bonnet (hood) that will also come from the radio if it's on. I think that's an alternator issue, so at 70k miles, I write that off as something which comes with age and mileage. I haven't checked the oil in a few weeks, but the last time I checked it, there was no marked loss. It's only had about 1k more put on it since buying it (I changed the oil shortly after purchase), and the oil is still clean. I used brand name 0w50 and a genuine Toyota filter.

The only modifications I've made to the car was installing a cold air intake a week after buying it. I have a list of other things I want to do to it, but it all depends on the outcome of one more visit to the service manager at the dealership. This time I'll ask for only 50% of the cost of a repaint. If they deny this time, I may just have the car repainted at the cheapest place I can find, other than Sheib or however its spelled, tgen trade it in on a Honda Fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would not over think the iq, the thing will last, 2012 with 122,000 plus miles
brakes last, engine does not leak, great gas mileage 39 miles mpg burb driving not city.
does burn a pint of oil every oil change
there is a recall intake and valve cover gaskets plugs that pretty much guarantees another 100k
durable in snow actually rain and snow is quite good
got mine for 7900 at 52000 miles from drive time, black pearl
would love to get a second one with the better entertainment center, i think post 2012 that got the video center touch screen

·
Registered
219 Posts
what exactly is this part that involved with the recall? what kind of problems does it cause? is it for the all model year?

i would not over think the iq, the thing will last, 2012 with 122,000 plus miles
brakes last, engine does not leak, great gas mileage 39 miles mpg burb driving not city.
does burn a pint of oil every oil change
there is a recall intake and valve cover gaskets plugs that pretty much guarantees another 100k
durable in snow actually rain and snow is quite good
got mine for 7900 at 52000 miles from drive time, black pearl
would love to get a second one with the better entertainment center, i think post 2012 that got the video center touch screen

·
Registered
38 Posts
So..... I am in the market for a lightly used IQ for my wife and I. We need it as a 2nd family car, I plan to retire my 2008 Accord which I have had since new. No kids, no pets so I think the Iq will fit our needs for running around town. We are almost 60ish so I like the big doors and it's sort of odd nature. My 2008 Accord was a good car BUT it was recalled many times for air bags, brakes and for excessive oil consumption. The dealer was great but I want a fairly problem free car this time...I know all cars have bugs etc... but I don't want a repeat. With the Iq is there a preferred model year?? I have heard some people say to stay away the 1st year of a model as they have bugs and kinks to work out. Is that true with the IQ?? Seems to me I have seen some posts about excessive oil usage(Bad Rings) in 2012's. Is there any truth to that? Was it specific to any certain Model year to steer clear of ??? There are quite a few listings for them within a 5 hour drive. I have seen 2012's with 25 k on them for sale as well as 13's, 14's and 15's..... Are there any upgrades to the newer models feature wise that I should consider??? or are they all the same except for the series 10.... As always I am looking for the best bang for my buck and would appreciate any suggestions from the membership....I tend to keep my cars for ten years so they are pretty used up when I am finished with them...Looking for some input from IQ owners 2012..2013..2014 or 2015....Thanks Big AL
sorry for reading your post a few years later, mine is the 2014 iQ10 Model=the 10 Years Anniversary Model, and I love it very much, it has been almost 7 years now and Never have had any of the posted issue found in this Forum. I highly recommend the 2014 10year Anniversary model, too bad, it was the LAST year model Canada can buy. Might be being the last year model, Toyota had already ironed out all issues from the iQ, I have been enjoying my iQ every minute since I bought it new. There is a sliver Badge on the dash marking #xxx of 900, anyone knows if Toyota only made 900 units of this Model? World Wide?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Tribute 123,
Mine is the 2014 1Q-10 (10 year Anniversary Model-Silver colored), with a badge saying #xxx of 900 ( I believed they only made 900 Units of such model, correct me if i am wrong), I only got 32373 KM (yes, no mis-typed, exact mileage) on it since I also got other cars before until lately I got rid of all other cars, keeping only the iQ.(since I retired 11 years ago). I would say, the 2014 year model is the best of them all because I have never had any problem as mentioned in the iQ Forum (might be I am just lucky), i just followed the recommended maintenance schedule even though the mileage was not up for service yet but "date schedule" was due. I would rather spent a little extra money to keep all maintenance up to date then having trouble. Anyway, I love every single minute driving my little iQ, I had my two back seats down all the time as a trunk, so, the little car is big enough for me now. (got rid of my 7 passenger vans as well after children grown up). youtube Review the 2012 iQ pick up was very slow...but I found my 2014 iQ pick up is very FAST especially noticeable at stop light, i was way ahead of other cars when it turns green (I did not intentionally Rev up my engine or flooring it but the CVT engine just liked to move fast. I did not see any review of the 2014 year iQ Speed test but I feel my iQ is moving fast anyway. I just loved it. 2014 is the year model to recommend, at least in Canada (I live in Vancouver,BC, Canada), not knowing if the cars are different in other region or part of the world.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts