Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we (my father and i) took our IQs to a shop around town to see what we could do with the car and he decided to do straight pipe starting right after the cat converter and then have it split so its one on each side and we had the guy cut that grey piece which can be removed. this is a video here its very short but the sound is ohh so sweet (to me atlleast, the old man didn't like it in the end...whatever lol)
photo.jpg and crap its upside down -_- sorry its my iphone but u get the idea

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice sound to it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes sir! i can't wait to get my car done up like that. and i hope it helps the MPGs enough. he drives it like a maniac XD

·
Registered
353 Posts

Looks neat. How loud is your IQ with the straight pipe on the road? Maybe a old fashion cutout is the way to go?

Old fashion manual cutout.

Electric cutout.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You may not like this, but I would just about guarantee you that within a very short
amount of time, you will add at least a low restriction muffler of some sort to your
straight pipe system.

With what you have now along with the characteristics of the CVT tranny, you will
soon be getting tired of the current sound and be wanting to change it .......Don't
get me wrong, I REALLY like the looks of your duals but it does sound like you are
driving a car with a hole in the muffler, imo.
A low restriction muffler would give you both the good looks and a sweet sound. Again,
just my opinion, but its an opinion gained from much previous experience....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i mean this is the old man's car (he is like pushing close to 40 lol) but he said he didn't like the sound and the guy at the shop said that adding a cherry bomb would make the sound a little more refined so if he decides to do that before i do my car then i will see....i could see how it would get annoying after a while but im not even the one driving it. im waiting for him to take his bike to work so i could drive it around for the day. im more worried about the mpg change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not at all knowledgeable on a lot of this but i want to learn. what is it that you are showing me with this cut out. I.E. what is it that this is supposed to do?

·
Registered
353 Posts
What the cutout does is allow you to open the cutout either with the cable (manual type) or with a switch (electrical type ) and that will bypass the muffler and give you the straight pipe.

If you close the cutout then the exhaust goes through the muffler.

It is installed in the exhaust pipe between the catalytic converter and the muffler.

Do a Google search with "exhaust cutout installation photo" and you will get a lot of photos.
Your muffler guy will know about the cutout.

·
Registered
196 Posts
While your at it google what happens to your fuel map (in the engine computer ...controls fuel to the injectors) when you modify the exhaust and screw up the read on the O2 sensors........Kiss your fuel map programing goodbye unless you dyno and re chip.....

Been there on a roller 5.0 Mustang.....

When you start modding a EFI ....you must reprogram the brains.to suit the engine it is NOW controlling.......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok cool....im sitting here talking to dad about it and he said the same thing. thats cool very interesting

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While your at it google what happens to your fuel map (in the engine computer ...controls fuel to the injectors) when you modify the exhaust and screw up the read on the O2 sensors........Kiss your fuel map programing goodbye unless you dyno and re chip.....

Been there on a roller 5.0 Mustang.....

When you start modding a EFI ....you must reprogram the brains.to suit the engine it is NOW controlling.......
well the guy had mentioned that from where he removed and set it up we were not messing with an sensors

·
Registered
353 Posts
blue3vi1,
Is your dad having problem with his IQ after the straight pipe modification ? Any codes showing up?

Seems to me that the modification is way down stream of the O2 sensor like your muffler guy said and should not be a problem. The ECU should be able to handle the change in back pressure.

One of the advantages of the exhaust cutout is that if you close the cutout then you are back to stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Saw the vid, sounds somewhat decent. Can you post up some more vids? I wonder what the car would sound like with glass pack like a cherry bomb?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much did this run you? Does what you did have a name?
He just got the muffler chopped off and had some new pipe run underneath the car. Just straight piping it after the cat converter. If you take your car to an exhaust shop they can duplicate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts