Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to a recent Bloomberg article (link below), U.S. iQ sales are within the projected range, which is good news. But I was surprised to read this quote from a Scion VP: “The early indication is it’s more of a third vehicle, and a little more of a higher-income buyer,” Hollis said. “This is the highest mpg car in the country, non-hybrid, and what I think is happening is people are seeing that.”

Maybe the writer did a bad job of pasting quotes together or those two statements weren't meant to be connected, because it doesn't make sense to me at all that someone affluent enough to afford a third vehicle would buy an iQ to save money on gas. So maybe the second sentence is more of a general thought? What do you think? Or maybe people are keeping their old, paid-off cars for versatility instead of trading them for an iQ? And is anyone else surprised to hear about this third vehicle trend? Well, maybe the early indications are inaccurate. Personally I'm surprised because my iQ is my daily driver.

Toyota

·
Registered
94 Posts
The iQ is my daily driver but my wife has a Camry for family trips or vacations. Even though we are only a family of 3 I would not want to take a vacation in the iQ. It works for me as our second vehicle. I remember reading on here that someone had a F250 and bought the iQ as an fuel efficient alternative when they did not need a full sized pickup. AKA "Third Vehicle". Having a functional back seat allows the iQ to fill many rolls from Only car to Third car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The iQ is my daily driver but my wife has a Camry for family trips or vacations. Even though we are only a family of 3 I would not want to take a vacation in the iQ. It works for me as our second vehicle. I remember reading on here that someone had a F250 and bought the iQ as an fuel efficient alternative when they did not need a full sized pickup. AKA "Third Vehicle". Having a functional back seat allows the iQ to fill many rolls from Only car to Third car.

Exactly, well said

Also, they recently launched on the east coast I believe in april so you have to give it more time. I have not seen any ads for them as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me it does make sense. This is the third vehicle for me, as I also have a Lexus LS460 for sedan and a mustang cobra. The iQ is my daily, I bought it for that purpose and also save a little on gas, it fits the perfet role. If its my only car, I probably wouldnt pick up the iQ, cuz of its size but thats what I love about this car, if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
For the household, this'll be the second car after the Bonneville. That said, it's personally my first car and I'm likely to be the only person in the family using it regularly. If I were on my own it would still probably be my first choice as a primary car.

First off, I just plain like it. Besides that though, it's exactly as big as it needs to be to haul just my fat ass and maybe a friend or two around. If I need to go for groceries I just fold the back seats down and stuff that now sizable cargo bay. I could get a smaller, cheaper car in the form of a smart, but then I have no room. I could get a bigger, cheaper car with more room than I need, but it's more than I need and frankly not as nice. The iq costs a little more than some people think it should given its size, but you get a degree of luxury compared to a no-frills cheapie car.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
my iq is NOT good on gas,absolutely impractical,and is only good for two with very little storage space.AND I LOVE IT.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My iQ is a second car. I knew I was not going to get much if I traded my sedan in so I just kept it, specially since it only costs $20 to insure it wih the iQ.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That was me.

I use my IQ for work (Monday-Friday), my wife uses our newly purchased 2012 Honda civic lx as her daily driver. The F250 is our occasional driver since its much bigger and is less fuel efficient than the other two cars.

Which one would be our third vehicle?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It was almost a third car for me. I had my modified '11 GTI (405HP) and my '08 Miata with the power hardtop. I drove them both, but mostly the GTI. They both require premium fuel and neither gets very good gas mileage. I wanted something for my daily driver that was cheap to maintain and run. The iQ was a perfect fit. I did not want to give up either car so the iQ was going to be number three. Then came the decision about which car would not have a spot in the garage. I only have a two car garage. I came to the decision that the iQ would have to sit in the driveway. That plan changed when I found out how much my car insurance was going to go up. Since I had over $10K invested in mods for the GTI, the Miata lost the battle and was traded in. Now the iQ is the daily driver and the GTI is for weekend fun. Since it is already reaching 95 degrees every day, I do not miss the convertible right now. Come October, I may get an itch to go car shopping again. A convertible Subaru BRZ sounds like fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I'm single and the iQ is my second car. I did buy it because I wanted to save on gas. I drive 70 miles a day and this thing gets almost twice the gas mileage as my Honda Element (but my commute is rural and perfect for the iQ so I'm getting 42 mpg on my work route). So - I guess I kind of fit the profile. Except for the 'affluent' part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
its the third car in our house :shrug: (just me and my wife as drivers).

mostly purchased because she wants a ridiculous small car.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Its my second car, third in the family. I bought it when I got my new job and my old 96' Suzuki Sidekick JX daily beater started getting long in the tooth (210k miles and maintenance bills rivaling car payments). So I suppose I'm bang-on for "third car, affluent driver".

"Tigger", my 'zuki is now my weekend car, especially good for haulin' a load of cute girls around town in with the top off. They love it, giggle all the way, and ask for it by name.

So what the flarp did Scion exec's expect? Sure the iQ BASE price is sub $20k (with tax and license: barely). But its marketed to the modders! By the time some of us are done we'll be as bare in the wallets as the BMW-bouncing morons! If you've got less than 10 choices for dinner tonight, you shouldn't be forking out $20k for a car, not when there are reliable used cars on Craig's list that fit entirely inside "down payment" budgets.

I think management school causes more brain damage than a full frontal lobotomy. You could get mule-kicked up-side the head by an actual mule, stand up, and say smarter things than I've heard out of executives lately. Its not just Scion either. They're everywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts