Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like keeping my iQ shiny and clean and so have a variety of detailing supplies on hand to accomplish this task. Here kinda how I tackle this:

- Hand wash at coin-op place...I have a definite method for this. I bring my own bucket and mitt, using Meguiar's Gold Class and the rinse cycle only. Drying involves three different types of microfiber towels/cloths.

- I have used Klasse All-In-One and Sealant Glaze (Klasse Twins) for years and now use it on my iQ. Works great for me (long lasting) and my working conditions.

- Mothers Quick Detailer has been my favorite for years....not sure why. I guess I like the way it works with the Klasse finish.

- I use Stoner's Invisible Glass (spray bottle) for glass.

- For my tires I have used a variety of products but am planning to try out a Meguiar's protect.

- Inside I have used 303 Aerospace Protectant but once my supply runs out I may try something more readily available.

I used to have to order all of my supplies, but I am finding them more and more available at local vendors. I keep the basics in my iQ at all time just to keep things spruced up.

So there are lots of ways to go about all this. Do you have any favorite products or tips?

·
Registered
156 Posts
As I live in an apartment complex, they frown on using the hose bib and a water hose.
What I have found works well in this situation Optima no rinse wash.
It takes two buckets, minimal amount of water and produces an excellant wash. If I need to "clay" the surface I will do that now, then wash again ... if not, it's time for polish.
After the wash it's Nu Finish (liquid) for the polish. I like to use two coats as it's easy to do, creates the "slickest" long lasting finish I have ever found.
Interior plastics I use the Nu Finish product for that.
Tire dressing - Armor All ( nine months out of the year we have enough rain here that nothing lasts long in the water)

·
Registered
24 Posts
hmmmmm . . . . i'm going to have to go home tonight and see what our product inventory consists of. Other than only using specific products, we/he has a very specific method of cleaning: the vehicle (trucks, bikes, iQ) sits inside the air-conditioned garage until the sun is about to set. then it's pulled out into the shade for washing. next: two warm water suds buckets, and two mitts . . one set for tires and wheels, wheel wells and extreme bottom of chasis (that's me . . . . . cuz i'm short) and the other for the body and exterior glass. next: the entire body is gently sprayed with cool water to loosen grit. we move around the car, me following below washing and rinsing each quarter, and the top. a hose nozzle rinse all over, and then taking the nozzle off letting a gentle stream of water run from top to bottom. with a waxed finish, each water drop will collect together and sheet run off without leaving a bazillion water drips to wipe. micro fiber towels, each finer then the last till dry. after the door jambs, sills, gaskets and gas cap are clean then a blow dry in the nooks and crannies as i micro-fiber-catch any hiding water. next, i pull up the shop stool and go round and round detailing the wheels and catching anything else that catches my eye. and this is what we call our night-out together :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
So romantic :) ....My baby just trod through her first mudbath.....and has a bug collection on the front the Museum called and asked for....

Anyhow.....

I have been using odds and ends I had left from the Mini Coop........Black Magic on the interior......not sure I like it enough to buy more....its like spreading vegetable oil around in your car....and DO not get it around your eyes................UGH did that suck....

Tried Megwuires (whatever) wipes in a plastic "box" .....ok I guess........on clearance so I tried em....kinda weak kneed

I also use a trusty old Black and Decker Deluxe 12V car Vac....think Dustbuster with attachments.,,,,,I try to keep every speck off the carpets.....at least 3 times a week....if not more ....I vac it out....

Both times I did the .25 cent car wash thing ,,,,,it rained......8o( .....She needs a good scrubbing now.......

And.... whats with the clay thing?......

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And.... whats with the clay thing?......
I clayed my iQ a few months back, too, just before I applied the Klasse products. Ideally, one would wash the car in using a solution of water and Dawn dishwashing soap...this will strip off any old wax. Once this is done, one would use the clay bar. Kits are sold with all you would need for this. Gently rubbing the clay over the surface of the paint (using quick detailer as a lubricant) removes any imbedded contaminants. Then, with everything perfectly prepped, the car can receive the final polish/wax treatment of choice. That's how clay works per my understanding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hubby clay bars as well. brought the surface of the old Chevy back to smoother than glass. also clayed the iQ when i thought the dealer had a sufficient coat of wax on it, and my first day at work a bird left lunch on the front hood that proceeded to bake into the finish on a 90-degree sunny day. rubbing compound wouldn't lift it, but the clay bar worked very well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
How does that work for you...I've never tried one. Do you have to do much touch-up afterward? How does it work if the car is really dirty?
I have never been a person who washes their car. Around here we have constant dust in the air and mud rains on the rare occasion that we get moisture. But this is after all the first car that I was first owner on, so I am washing it once and awhile. When I do wash it it is really dirty.

The touchless works great. Our city water is very hard and the filtered water the autowash places use is nice. I am not too picky, if I were I might take a chamois with me to wipe the small bit of water off after. It gets all the sticky red clay dust and bug splat off without a trace. No brushes just high pressure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok so i washed it again thismorning and .....IT rained ...........we are in a drought BUT every time i wash my car BAM rain............all 3 times ...in a row.....

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Although my iQ isn't a daily driver I do wash it once a week and more often if there is a show on the weekend.

I use cleaning products from the Chemical Guys. Paul and the crew are geniuses and make the products that are repackaged for many well known and expensive brands. (insert SmartWax here). All of their products are top notch and easy to use.

I wax the iQ every other week and clay it once a month. My needs are different than most since the car is on display at car shows quite a bit. The wax builds up quickly and needs to be removed at least once a month.

Some of their products that I use...

They also supply professional auto detailers and teach classes and workshops on car care.

·
Registered
196 Posts
https://www.simonizdetaildirect.com/Products/Instant_Shine_with_Power_Trigger/

Just tried this stuff....very impressed for $10 bux....comes with battery operated spritzing trigger....puffs out little sprays with each pull of the button/trigger....comes with batteries and ready to go.....I did the $0.25 carwash thing .....towel dried about 95% and hit it with this stuff and clean terry towels.....Looks great and feels smooth and slick....

Autozone had it on sale .....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Although my iQ isn't a daily driver I do wash it once a week and more often if there is a show on the weekend.

I use cleaning products from the Chemical Guys. Paul and the crew are geniuses and make the products that are repackaged for many well known and expensive brands. (insert SmartWax here). All of their products are top notch and easy to use.

I wax the iQ every other week and clay it once a month. My needs are different than most since the car is on display at car shows quite a bit. The wax builds up quickly and needs to be removed at least once a month.

Some of their products that I use...

They also supply professional auto detailers and teach classes and workshops on car care.

Chemical Guys huh? I'll have to check that out ... thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts