Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a cvt transmission replaced because it was making a whining sound. The transmission it was replaced with is making the same sound. It has me wondering whether this is normal. I just recently bought the car used with (warranty) 50,000 mi on the ODO. The car also seems to have some sort of rattling coming from the dash when parked with the key in the on position not running. Any info/help/experiences are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had the whine before, is it only happening under load or even when idle? Mine was under load if I was flooring it. I changed the CVT fluid with Eneos and the whine went away. I have 100,000 kms on my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the hint. I'll try it. The Eneos ECO CVT Fluid claims a maximum of 5% noise reduction however. My car has always whined under heavy acceleration. And after 120 K-miles the only repair needed other than maintenance was broken alternator belt. I did not opt for transmission replacement like the other fellow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought mine 2014 iQ 10 new in 2014 but only got 30,000 KM on it, I always followed the recommended service schedule even long before the mileage due (But Date due), I have never experienced any of the CVT transmission issue (it meant to make a Revving sound to bring the RPM up instead of the normal smoothly shifting up to next gear), since my mileage is so low, might be it is still too early to tell, and i hope i don't run into the same problem. I had been buying and selling lots of cars (because driving different cars was my biggest hobby) every time i bought a used car, I always got a lemon, fixing up the previous owner's problem. after learning lessons after lessons, I only buying new car from then on...Actually, nowadays, it is cheaper to buy a new car than a used car since there always 0 percent interest up to as long as 7 years, put your money in term deposit and pay 0 percent monthly (depending on Brand), while a used car might cost 3 to 5 or even higher percent interest (unless you pay cash in full). a new car at least got 3 yrs or even longer of Total coverage on everything, just do your regular maintenance, while a used car might cost you a fortune trying to fixed up one area and the other.*** Unfortunately, when you want to buy an iQ, you just have to buy a used one since mine was the last year model Scion made. So sad to see Scion line faded out, Toyota should carry on to make the iQ or even the iQ EV, if the Smart Car can do it, for sure the iQ can do better because the iQ is a lot better car, especially the 2014 year model, I tested drive the Smart car before I decided to get the iQ because the iQ is a lot more roomy, more powerful, better handling, drive like a real car and not like a lawn mower..I did put 4 adult (the one behind me had to cross legs up on seat :) but never overloaded the car. Overloading the car might damaged the transmission especially for a little one. ***the problem is: since the iQ is so good, whoever owns it seldom let go of it unless it was involved with big accident. But the iQ is safe enough with 11 air bags (even a Curtain Rear hatch Air bag) surrounding you, and a Crash Test better than a lot of bigger cars. I love my iQ so much I always take good care of it because i would want to keeping it for a long time. YouTube review on the iQ only up to 2012, never review my year model (2014) which is totally opposite to the negative rating they were having. my iQ is NOT slow, pick up even faster that a lot of cars, not sure if it is because mine is the 10 year Anniversary model or whatever...or Toyota corrected all issues after 2012. I got one question here: my car got a badge on dash board marking #xxx of 900, does it mean that Scion only made 900 units of this car model? (around the world? or North America?) I did not purposely buy the 10 years Anniversary Model but that was the only ONE Left at the dealer (No more iQ availablefor sale anymore), no choice. The 10 years Anniversary was $1,500 more than the regular iQ. I was just lucky to get the last new iQ on the market. Regarding replacing the transmission, I would say go back to Toyota (Scion) Dealer to get done instead of getting a rebuilt from just any garage, if you love your iQ you got to give it a good organ, it might be expensive but it's worth while because it might become a collective item later.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you changed the CVT fluid? I got my IQ with about 100,000 on the odometer. Mine was whining after the warming up - after 20 minutes on a highway etc. Changing CVT fluid completely fixed the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts