Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to get it. I just have to figure out the shipping end of it. Hopefully they can ship it here. If not I will have to find someone to ship it or have it shipped to the border and pick it up from there.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
You can fit anything on anything, it's just a matter of know how and ability.

Do the iQ's in Canada have rear drum brakes or disc? In the States Scion gave us rear drums. Booooo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FastScions will ship to Canada. BBK has been ordered. There are other brand/options for even bigger kits. They are more expensive and some will not work with 16" rims. The 11" kit being only 1" larger should help slightly in braking but should help immensely in the looks department when choosing larger wheels.

They should be here in 10-14 days.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Alloy wheel
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Hood
I purchased one from fast scions .com and after waiting a month patiently for the kit it arrived yesterday with a couple of missing parts. I finally figured out who actually manufactures the kit, which is fast brakes .com. I spoke with Brian there whom told me he is the person who actually manufacture these kits. My kit arrived yesterday and one of the main brake line adapters was missing I spoke with Brian and he did overnight it to me to solve the issue. His customer service was very Good. Down to the actual kit. The rotor itself looks like a universal rotor with two different sets of 4 bolt patterns on it. The quality of the rotor I got was not the best! Mine had a missing piece near one of the cooling veins that looked like a bad mold mark. They do not come painted like in the picture, they come electro plated no color. The brackets also come raw aluminum no color. The calipers have been machined down at their mounting points to give clearance for them to fit( I spoke with Brian whom assured me this is not an issue) back to the rotors the actual surface the pads will contact is not the entire rotor surface so a good 3/4 inches of the rotors surface may develop ugly rust. The brake lines look to be pretty good quality, although you will have to drill one of the tabs to be able to attach them to the factory bracket. In my opinion The rotor should be designed to have only the contact surface in a raw form. In summary good customer service :) but I personally wish I had saved a little more money and gone with a kit using a bigger rotor. I spoke with Brian at Fastbrakes.com and he is working on putting together a better kit for our scions that will use a two piece rotor, not modify the calipers and use adapter brackets with steel inserts. I will buy one as soon as it is available!!

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Update on the brake kit. I was able to install it last night. The brakes are working good. It does stop the car much faster than the stock brakes. If they would make a few mods to this kit it could be decent. If I where to make this kit I would either make the adapter brackets out of steel ( to avoid the chances of stripping threads) or add steel inserts at the thread points. I would also make the kit only available in a size where modifying the calipers would not be necessary. On a kit around 12-13 inch rotors you should not need to shave down the caliper mounting points. I would also design a rotor specific to this application where the contact surface between the rotor and friction surface of the pads was the only raw metal surface.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Ok I spoke with Brian, and he has developed a new better and yet bigger brake kit for our scion iq that covers all the issues I found with the 11 inch kit that I purchased and reviewed for you guys. The new kit will have a 2piece hat and rotor combo using a 11.75" rotor . It will also have brackets with steel inserts. The calipers will be in their original form with no modifications. Best of all you can order it with the dynalite 4 pot calipers or the Dynapro 6 pot versions. Mine is on order so when it comes in once again I will review the new kit. I hope I have been able to help some of you trying to make a brake choice out. I'm also glad that after I brought all my concerns with the 11inch kit to Brian's attention that he quickly addressed the issues and developed a better kit for us :)

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Thanks for the leg work and reviews. Looking forward to seeing how the new kit works out for you.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Bad news !!
i got the new big brake kit in and this one didn't work out any better actually worse!!
The caliper adapter bracket turned out to be to short and is holding the caliper 3mm to close to the spindle which caused the rotor to rub against the caliper.
being as it is the holidays I have not been able to get ahold of Brian over at fastbrakes as of yet although I have sent him numerous emails detailing the issue, and possible solution as to how we can solve this issue and finally have a well designed kit for our scion IQ

i will say this combined with the Megan coilover suspension I have the brake kit I tested looked nothing short of amazing!!!

Im hoping Brian can find a way to correct this issue!!

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Ok I was able to measure everything and draw up the bracket to correct the issues with the kit I got from Fastbrakes.com I sent the drawings over to Brian over at Fastbrakes and he is going to have the correct brackets made. I can now say with full certainty that it is safe to buy the kit from Fastbrakes. It cost me a bunch extra to figure out what needed to be fixed, but I hope at least I was able to hope the rest of you who may want to buy one of these kits. If you want pictures of mine feel free to email me :)

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
I have been having difficulties and have been unable to post a picture. My email address is [email protected] if anyone wants to see a picture of this brake conversion and all it's parts feel free to email me. In the meantime I will continue trying to add a picture to this thread. I have at this point been able to finish my brake upgrade and have it all working perfect. Brian sent me my corrected adapters. Fastbrakes.com is on their end fabricating proper brackets that will make the brake kit function the way it was meant to function. At this point I would give this brake kit a green light. I can definitely tell you it is a dramatic improvement over the factory brakes!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.