Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've had my iQ for approximately 3 days and I have to say, the sound system is seriously lacking. Perhaps not so much the head unit (I upgraded to premium) but certainly the speakers. I LOVE my car but I'm a little annoyed that I had to sacrifice a great system for this...this....crap. :( I have tweaked all options and I still can't get it to sound great. Anyone else a little disappointed with this aspect of the iQ?

I remember seeing someone here replaced their speakers - not sure who it was. Wonder if it made any difference?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
So youhave found the treble,base,and fade features,the low,mid,high mode,and there are another two settings as well,is it set to IQ,i believe the head unit is set to TC by default.im one withe speaker upgrade,they just havent found there way into the IQ.hope you figure it out.mine sounds pretty good with all my settings set to my likeing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I replaced my door speakers... They are 6.5" round and added a sub. I let the sub handle the bass and push mostly treble through everything else and it sounds a lot better than it did.

The speaker swap in the door is a little tough if you aren't good with replacing things on your own. The panels are tricky to get off... and some screws are hidden. The factory speakers are riveted in and require drilling... and you are left with a hole that is almost as big as the new speaker's mounting ring... which required drilling for more holes and bracing it with screws from the outer ring.

Also... you have to clip the factory wiring harness and be aware of which wire was positive and which was negative before hand.

You'll also be highly impressed when you see how cheap/thin of wire Toyota used to power these speakers. To give you an idea, a cheap pair of headphones has a fatter cable on it.... but I just spliced into it as I didn't feel like rewiring half the car.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... perhaps it's the music I listen to. lol I listen to (mostly) music with a lot of bass. I have found all the settings iqforyou mentioned as well - including the tC/iQ setting. Maybe I'm just too picky. Or maybe I just need better speakers installed. I'll continue to mess around with the settings to see if I find something I like better.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced my door speakers... They are 6.5" round and added a sub. I let the sub handle the bass and push mostly treble through everything else and it sounds a lot better than it did.

The speaker swap in the door is a little tough if you aren't good with replacing things on your own. The panels are tricky to get off... and some screws are hidden. The factory speakers are riveted in and require drilling... and you are left with a hole that is almost as big as the new speaker's mounting ring... which required drilling for more holes and bracing it with screws from the outer ring.

Also... you have to clip the factory wiring harness and be aware of which wire was positive and which was negative before hand.

You'll also be highly impressed when you see how cheap/thin of wire Toyota used to power these speakers. To give you an idea, a cheap pair of headphones has a fatter cable on it.... but I just spliced into it as I didn't feel like rewiring half the car.
Do you think professional installers would have an easier time replacing the speakers?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Do you think professional installers would have an easier time replacing the speakers?
I would like to think PRO installers would have a bit easier of a time,but that said,VANCOUVERS a wee bit of a pro himself.i would,and will take my IQ in to have EVERYTHING installed and all wire upgradef.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I got the sound dialed in through one of the four default eq settings. I think I use "feeling"...which is ironic given that I have none. :) That said, I a) always listen to classical music and b) am half deaf in one ear. Take that as you will.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I got the sound dialed in through one of the four default eq settings. I think I use "feeling"...which is ironic given that I have none. :) That said, I a) always listen to classical music and b) am half deaf in one ear. Take that as you will.
Thankyou for your honesty gokartride,and im sorry for your challenges,LOL.i feel you sir.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It took me a few days as well, set to iQ, set to 'feel' and then had to adjust the fader till I got it good.
I am satisfied for now, it is a great stock system, but cannot even begin to compare to my other vehicles.

For a stock radio to have USB input, sub output and BT pairing that activates when I get in the car I think it is great.
Will I upgrade it? Eventually I will get a Kenwood NAV system, but until then I can live with it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For a stock radio to have USB input, sub output and BT pairing that activates when I get in the car I think it is great.
Will I upgrade it? Eventually I will get a Kenwood NAV system, but until then I can live with it.
True. I just find no matter what I do, some songs just sound better than others but that could also be the quality of the MP3. I believe I will, someday, upgrade as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
True. I just find no matter what I do, some songs just sound better than others but that could also be the quality of the MP3. I believe I will, someday, upgrade as well.
MP3 encoding differences are HUGE when trying to evaluate sound quality, for comparison you would be best to use a CD.
Also when ripping a song to MP3 it is best to use the highest available encoding quality.

My collection has a bigger problem with audio volume between songs rather than quality, I find myself adjusting the volume all the time between different songs...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a pro because I don't specialize in any one thing. But I believe in doing my own work and research and trying to use the right tools if possible. I just explained the details so that you wouldn't run into any surprises if you did try it yourself thinking it was a simple swap. If you have a friend that is handy, buy a case of beer and have at it one weekend. And as always, ask any questions and I (along with anyone else here) will try to help you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've looked and looked, but can't find the thread on how to set the stock radio to iQ instead of TC. Is it here somewhere in the I.C.E. section?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I've looked and looked, but can't find the thread on how to set the stock radio to iQ instead of TC. Is it here somewhere in the I.C.E. section?
i believe you keep car not running but key in the on position and with stereo off you push and hold either the large multi function dial or the power button,i recall mine was a bit different to do than many others.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts