Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my next project...I stripped everything out of my iQ. Dash, seats, carpet, headliner, pretty much everything. This is going to take me about 3 weeks because of work and what nots, but should be fun!

I'm adding new speakers, a new amp, custom ambient lighting (aka Audi, BMW) to include soft glow orange lighting to match the dash. LED lighting will be added to each door cup holder, the small hand grab area behind each door tweeter, console area below power outlet, center cup holder, each footwell area. The lighting will be attached to the dimmer circuit so as to dim with the dash.

I'm also adding a white 5mm dome lamp like LED to each rear "B" pillar so I have more light with the doors and rear hatch open.

I'm adding composite dampening to the roof, rear trunk area, rear wheel wells, firewall (to reduce engine noise) and doors. You don't need much...In fact, those that cover their cars with dynamat from head to toe are not stopping road noise...Just a waste of time, money and adds weight.

My noise killer I will be adding is 3M Thinsulate Acoustic. This is amazing, lightweight and flexible stuff. I'll be adding it everywhere. Headliner, doors, rear wheel well trim, under the carpet, firewall, under dash panel etc...

Here's a few pictures of my day:

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
HOLY SHEEEET You don't mess around......You mean it when you say stripped......DAMN,.........I would be sick doing all that .....afraid I would screw it up and it would rattle and pop apart all the time.....

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would love to pull my headliner out to put some thermal insulation in. The heat that the roof radiates is like having a space heater for a hat till the ac (pointed at the roof) chills it down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is ballsy. I have done interior modifications in the past but this is unreal.

It looks like you parked it overnight in a bad neighborhood.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is ballsy. I have done interior modifications in the past but this is unreal.

It looks like you parked it overnight in a bad neighborhood.
Good one. I'm scared just looking at the pictures. I'm gonna have nightmares after seeing those photos.
No wonder Otter thought installing the Satellite radio was a piece of cake.
I am not worthy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gotta say that you have gone where I would NEVER go! More power to you ... and I can't wait to see what the completed project looks like.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL...I am brave and go where a lot of people never go, however, it was all put together on an assembly line at one point, right? =-) Cars are so easy to take apart...You just have to let go of the fear of doing it. It is fun and it will go back together correctly if you take your time, have the correct tools and document what you removed.

I work for a division of two major auto manufactures, so I do this for my daily work as it is. I have a very strict, personal policy that nothing goes back together with missing or broken parts. Period. If I break a clip, I order a new one. I only broke one trim clip this entire disassembly but already had a new stock of them from prior Scions I have owned. If you put it back together correctly, with no missing clips, screws or bolts, it should never rattle. If it's rattling, then something was put together incorrectly. Another reason I usually don't take my car in for any warranty work...Usually something comes back broken, rattling or just not fixed. Sadly, if I want something done right, I usually do it myself.

I take everything out because it is soooo much easier for me to run my homemade wiring harnesses, amp wiring, etc...I also have the opportunity to wrap certain wiring in cloth tape to prevent rattles and integrate it with the factory wiring so it looks and remains factory-like.

I added the CLD (constrained layer dampers) to the roof already as seen in the last picture. I also added some ensolite peel and stick from RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products. The CLD tiles eliminate the resonance and the ensolite is a sound absorber and thermal insulator. I'm going to add the 3M thinsulate acoustic to the headliner today. All of this will greatly reduce the heat and noise coming into the cabin.

So much to do! OK, back to work.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I work for a division of two major auto manufactures, so I do this for my daily work as it is.
Well in light of this the whole things makes a bit more sense. At the same time, if you saw any of my home projects, you'd know why I would never try such a thing. :) If I were to do so, I would follow your wise protocols and procedures to the letter.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My biggest hold back on doing projects of that scope are 1. Large enough place to do them, driveway and a full garage don't cut it. 2. Being able to tie up my car for that amount of time, it is my only and daily driver.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My biggest hold back on doing projects of that scope are 1. Large enough place to do them, driveway and a full garage don't cut it. 2. Being able to tie up my car for that amount of time, it is my only and daily driver.

I have a one car garage, tight, but it works...I have my dash in my living room right now. LOL

I have a second car, a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Arctic edition...It's my fun gas guzzler, so I'll be putting some miles on it the next few weeks. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ottermobear (or anybody else who has taken their rear seats out),

Did you snap pictures of the bolts that need to come out, when you were disassembling the rear seat?

I want to remove mine, but don't really know where to start.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Ottermobear (or anybody else who has taken their rear seats out),

Did you snap pictures of the bolts that need to come out, when you were disassembling the rear seat?

I want to remove mine, but don't really know where to start.
I couldn't find my pictures but it's really simple. Remove the rear storage bin and the foam pieces from behind the rear seat. You'll see six bolts, three on each side of the seat. Remove the six bolts and the seat is ready to be removed. It's really that simple.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
An awesome undertaking. Props for doing it right, removing everything so you can hit all the spots. Looking forward to seeing the pics before the interior is re-installed. Nice job.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Remove the six bolts and the seat is ready to be removed. It's really that simple.
I'm sure I am overlooking something (probably pretty obvious), but I removed my storage bin and I see the bolts holding the seat hinge down, but there are only 2 bolts on each hinge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The other two bolts (one on each side) are on the front side of the seat. Push the front passenger seat forward to access the back seat and then lift up the rear seat cushion. You'll have to pull up hard on each side since there are two clips. Once the seat cushion is released, the seat cushion folds up to access the other two bolts.

A word of caution though...Before you pull the rear seat out, remove the two covers on each side trim panel that the sides of the rear seat cushion cover. It's easiest to remove them before you flip the cushion up. You'll see them...They are square and you can put a trim tool behind them to pop them out. Without removing these, you will scuff them taking the seat out and it doesn't make them pretty plus the seat is hard to take out without removing them first.

Also, be careful not to damage either side panel with the metal seat frame when taking the seat out...It's easy to do. Put some towels around each end of the seat frame before taking it out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts