Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon!
Ive had my new Black Pearl IQ for about a week now and I'm lovin it.
My one gripe though is the lack of interior light.
The interior light kit wasnt an option here in Toronto when I was purchasing, but I'm seeing it online.
When I called Toyota parts they were super confused and not sure they could install it?

So I guess my questions are...

1. Anyone else here from Canada who successfully installed the interior light kit?

2. Anyone who had the interior light kit that can comment on how well it works? Pics perhaps?

3. This is my first new car and I'm anxious to upgrade with new parts, is there a website that anyone can recommend that delivers to Canada that I can buy parts from?

Any help would be MUCHO appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have see 1 in italy but the light is low....if u buy a lightledstrip u make a better job...
I was looking into LED's as an option as well... how would you hook them up? and where? Do you know of a good online store I could get some from?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, while I'm asking... Is there maybe an led bulb I could replace the dinky bulb in the dome with?
My condo garage is VERY dark and when I park, I'm stumbling around looking for things in the car with the small radius of light I have to work with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just got my interior light kit installed last Friday (and they somehow left my heater/AC unplugged).

Anywho its just a couple'a LEDs in the corners under the dash. It hardly does anything as far as useful lighting. Worse: the standard wiring harness only powers the kit on when the doors are open, it runs on the same controller as the illuminated door sills.

Altogether I wish I had my full retail back. It wa$n't worth it, not by a long shot. My advice: go custom and get'er done right. I've seen a friend who has LED's inside the side hanger handles that look and work a lot better. I've also seen people use drawer pulls from Home Depot as sconces for rear cabin lighting in their xB's. Infinite possibilities with LED cabin lighting. Scion seriously phoned it in on this one.

It doesn't even come with the bulbs under the front seats for the rear compartment floor lighting that my wife's xA kit came with. The factory iQ kit is a total WAAAAAAY overpriced bit of scrap.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I just got my interior light kit installed last Friday (and they somehow left my heater/AC unplugged).

Anywho its just a couple'a LEDs in the corners under the dash. It hardly does anything as far as useful lighting. Worse: the standard wiring harness only powers the kit on when the doors are open, it runs on the same controller as the illuminated door sills.

Altogether I wish I had my full retail back. It wa$n't worth it, not by a long shot. My advice: go custom and get'er done right. I've seen a friend who has LED's inside the side hanger handles that look and work a lot better. I've also seen people use drawer pulls from Home Depot as sconces for rear cabin lighting in their xB's. Infinite possibilities with LED cabin lighting. Scion seriously phoned it in on this one.

It doesn't even come with the bulbs under the front seats for the rear compartment floor lighting that my wife's xA kit came with. The factory iQ kit is a total WAAAAAAY overpriced bit of scrap.
agreed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Dude, thank you... You saved me about $400 bucks...

Could you point me in the direction of a website I could get the necessary LED parts from?

... and... stupid question... but who the heck would I look up to help install this kinda thing? Is there a certain kind of garage that specializes in customizations? what would I search for? Im such a noob to this kind of thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dude, thank you... You saved me about $400 bucks...
... and... stupid question... but who the heck would I look up to help install this kinda thing? Is there a certain kind of garage that specializes in customizations? what would I search for? Im such a noob to this kind of thing.
We don't need no $tinking garage$. All my modding is being done in my own shop/garage/driveway... and the hard stuff in the Target parking lot at the NorCal Scions Wednesday night meet. Seriously find your local Scion street modding club. They're a blast and infinitely valuable friends to have for this sort of trouble.

You bought a Lego car. Scions are seriously engineered for amateur modding, the iQ even moreso than previous models. Don't believe me? Go open your back hatch, reach up, grab the plastic panel on the inside of your hatch and give it a good tug straight down. There are 8 or so plastic pop-tabs holding it on. It'll snap off with a few good yanks, and snap on with a few good fist-bumps.

Now realize the entire car interior is put together like that. Towards the front its a bit more complicated but basically the weather stripping around the door is holding everything that's not pop-tabbed on. The weather stripping itself can be pulled off and pressed on too. Easiest part is the door sill cover: it pops off with a good tug. Just go slow, look carefully (like the yellow hooks under the A column need to be twisted out of their slots and back in again), and that's all there is to it.

The only thing you need tools to remove are the seat belts and the seats themselves. A socket wrench and a screwdriver will do.

Getting the interior apart and back together again is a parking-lot mod. You just need a couple'a friends and a couple of hours. That's a third of your interior lighting project.

Another third is designing your custom kit. E-bay should get you a string of 100 or so LED's for around $50, with a color controller. Consider the local hardware store for interesting re-purposed parts (like the afore-mentioned kitchen drawer pulls re-purposed as LED sconces). Design, layout and purchase together are another third of the project. I'm budgeting about $100 for this project all together. I also have a lot of experience in soldering my own wiring harness kits together (all them robot projects back in school), so that part doesn't scare me.

The last third is placing the controller, and tapping the wiring harness for power. You'll at least need a good multimeter and soldering experience. Can't help you there...yet. I'll be headed this way over the summer (after a few vinyl projects). I'll let you know how it goes.

Seriously: local Scion club. There's just no comparison between paying a shop to do it and having done it yourself with a few friend's help. Shops may do it a touch cleaner, but their imaginations (and parts catalogs) are just so limited. My club's forums, Home Depot, computer recyclers, E-Bay, and Craig's List are my parts catalog now. Having personally littered on the Moon I can say the sky is definitely not the modding limit.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I've had a little experience with interior / exterior lighting. It's so much cheaper and easier to do it yourself...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Sweet box! Former rig? Still have it? Do I detect a recurring inverted skunk theme with you?
History doesn't repeat...but it does rhyme, eh? :cool:
I sold the xB last July. It went through several phases and themes. I do like black and white. This is how it looked right before I sold it...

Theadjack over. Sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Scion IQ. I totally agree with the interior lighting. There isn't enough!!! I literally had to buy a flashlight to use when searching around in the car at night or while in the garage! The interior light kit they sell is ridiculous... it illuminates the driver's feet and the passenger's feet!!! I feel like buying those press lights you see on tv and sticking them to the roof!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Scion IQ. I totally agree with the interior lighting. There isn't enough!!! I literally had to buy a flashlight to use when searching around in the car at night or while in the garage! The interior light kit they sell is ridiculous... it illuminates the driver's feet and the passenger's feet!!! I feel like buying those press lights you see on tv and sticking them to the roof!
That is exactly what I did. One in the front and one in the back! Love'm!

Vehicle Car Grey Rim Automotive design

Attachments

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Likewise. I got a 3-pack of triple-LED tap-lights for like $6 at Walgreens.

Two I just peeled and stuck to the center column, one on the driver's side one on the passenger's to light up the footwells/front section, the third I stick where Ironshadow stuck his, center rear to light up the cargo section...that one I had to peel off the double-stick pad and use the hook-side of some industrial strength velcro but it worked fine!

Only problem is tap lights, especially cheap ones can be kind of loose and rattly, so I used a bit of clear tape around the edges of the dome to keep the dome from rattling in the base

1 - 18 of 18 Posts