Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Jeff. I've had lots of cars over my life and now I am a proud owner of the Scion IQ 2012.

I'm going to be doing some minor things to it. Tint package, Carbon Fiber wrap the side mirrors.

But I was a moment away from buying a Injet Cold Air Intake when it hit me, why not ask the YOU since you know way more then I every will.

I'm looking to give my IQ more performance. Whats the best way to add some more Pep to the peppy vehicle, what do you do (mods, brand names) to your car? Chips, mufflers, computer tweak, intakes, turbo?

ANY input is appreciated and I will post my mods and car as they are getting done.

Thank you :D

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Congratulations on your new iQ and welcome to the forums Jeff.

I would have to say my favorite additions to the iQ are...

1. The TRD rear sway bar
2. The Tanabe USA Sustec strut tower bar and Sustec Frame brace
3. The DC Sports intake

Those are the most affordable mods I have on my ride.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to add to your iQ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the reply, I read a lot about the DC Sports intake but when I went to the website it didn't list the IQ.

How did you get one? And maybe its a model that is similar but not IQ specific?

Appreciate any feedback. I enjoy the handling of my ride but more PEP would be where I'd like it to go. The DC Sports Inatake would be ideal. If I could get it and find it.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I replied to your PM. DC Sports used my iQ as the R&D vehicle so I got the prototype. It should be in mass production by now. Call the number in the PM and talk to Andy or Jimmy. They can give you the details.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Taz has done it all....his ride is awesome!

On mine, which would be considered mild compared to Taz's, I had a larger diameter cat-back
exhaust system with a hi-flow Magnaflow muffler installed on mine, the TRD rear anti-sway
bar, Injen Cold Air Intake......thats it, thats all I've done performance wise, the rest I've done
is cosmetic. I would give an educated guess that with the intake and exhaust, I gained 6-10hp
along with a great exhaust note.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I went with the Injen intake and prefer it over the dc big time. The quality of the injen is way better than the dc. Just look at the welds if you don't believe me. The DC intake uses a hold down bracket with only one leg the injen welds a second brace to that leg in order to make it stronger. Injen also reduces the size of the pipe at the mass airflow sensor area to keep all its measurements correct. I know some guys have the dc intake on their rides and they may say its better, but no way! The Injen intake is 10 times a more high quality product. I have nothing to gain and I'm not sponsored. By either company so trust me my opinion is based on seeing both products in person feeling the quality and actually using the Injen intake on my car. ( sorry Taz, I know your a DC intake guy, but this injen intake is just hands down a more well designed product) .if you look at the two pictures you can see the difference in the mounting point where the intake mounts to the body of the car. It may seem like a small detail but over time vibration can cause the one legged design to develop stress cracks at the weld points, and I have seen this happen in real life situations. The Injen is not the cheaper of the two options but it is definitely the best !! Even the clamps that come with the Injen intake are stainless steel and marked with the Injen logo. I choose the black version because color wise it matches the theme of my car and I don't have to worry about polishing the pipe all the time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Look up my post called meet Scrappy, I have a list of all my mods. This can give you an idea of some of the things you can do to your iq to make it personalized. Surfcitylocal Taz also has a crap load of posts with cool ideas and pictures of things you can do to your IQ

have fun, and please post lots of pics :)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
There is one more option out there to boost performance, but I'm not sure if we can get our hands on them as of yet. In Japan they are using a supercharger with an inter cooler. It would be oh so beautiful under my hood :)
Man, supercharging is the only way to go if you really want to improve performance (sacrificing some reliability and fuel economy, of course).

Honestly (with no offense meant), I don't see why someone would buy an IQ to punch out more horsepower out of an IQ?

Perhaps, mod the IQ to handle and make it more fun to drive. Lowering springs, rear stabilizer bar, and maybe even a front strut bar + a good set of wheels/tires should improve the handling to the point that it becomes a real fun car. The rest of the stuff will be cosmetics based on your preference.

Nonetheless Jeff, mod the car the way way you want... it's your ride and an extension of your personality. Most of all, have fun doing it. Good luck and share your experience. We love to see pictures. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the Injen intake and prefer it over the dc big time. The quality of the injen is way better than the dc. Just look at the welds if you don't believe me. The DC intake uses a hold down bracket with only one leg the injen welds a second brace to that leg in order to make it stronger. Injen also reduces the size of the pipe at the mass airflow sensor area to keep all its measurements correct. I know some guys have the dc intake on their rides and they may say its better, but no way! The Injen intake is 10 times a more high quality product. I have nothing to gain and I'm not sponsored. By either company so trust me my opinion is based on seeing both products in person feeling the quality and actually using the Injen intake on my car. ( sorry Taz, I know your a DC intake guy, but this injen intake is just hands down a more well designed product) .if you look at the two pictures you can see the difference in the mounting point where the intake mounts to the body of the car. It may seem like a small detail but over time vibration can cause the one legged design to develop stress cracks at the weld points, and I have seen this happen in real life situations. The Injen is not the cheaper of the two options but it is definitely the best !! Even the clamps that come with the Injen intake are stainless steel and marked with the Injen logo. I choose the black version because color wise it matches the theme of my car and I don't have to worry about polishing the pipe all the time.
I guess it should also be mentioned that there is quite the difference in price point as well. The DC Intake sells for $140 and the Injen cold air intake sells for $260. At least from the websites I've seen. So if there is little difference between the two in terms of power then I guess if factoring in the construction and price point I guess it's up to the buyer. I opted to buy the DC intake, not just because it's cheaper but because it's my first time even stepping into the modding world and feel this can't be a bad thing. Appreciate your input :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, supercharging is the only way to go if you really want to improve performance (sacrificing some reliability and fuel economy, of course).

Honestly (with no offense meant), I don't see why someone would buy an IQ to punch out more horsepower out of an IQ?

Perhaps, mod the IQ to handle and make it more fun to drive. Lowering springs, rear stabilizer bar, and maybe even a front strut bar + a good set of wheels/tires should improve the handling to the point that it becomes a real fun car. The rest of the stuff will be cosmetics based on your preference.

Nonetheless Jeff, mod the car the way way you want... it's your ride and an extension of your personality. Most of all, have fun doing it. Good luck and share your experience. We love to see pictures. Welcome to the club!
Oh no offense taken, I do like the car and of course I didn't buy it with power in mind but it's more about the peppiness it has and the quick acceleration around the corner is fun, if a little more boost helps then all the better. I will post plenty of before and after pics, and I am SO new to modding cars. Like brand new.

I would love a tutorial on how to install the DC Sport Ram Intake, also the reason its easier to install is why I went with it as well. If not maybe I'll make my own to post here, Im actually worried I will screw it up. I tend to when it comes to "simple" things lol

It's going in for a full tint job on Saturday. When the weather is good I will get the side windows carbon fibered wrapped. And maybe get a blue tint on the headlights. I'll talk to the guy on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Don't worry man, I'm just picky as hell! Either one is better than he stock piece of crap intake using a filter and a carbon filter. It's like trying to breath with your hand covering your mouth!

The DC will work just fine, the injen is just built with a little more high quality standards, but like you say it shows in the price. Since i know how picky I am a just chose the Injen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sadly my part won't be coming. They charged me $45 for shipping, but now they want a additional $40 ! Forget that, now the prices seem the same, I'm going to wait for the DC new website to launch and buy from them. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
That sucks man! Forget it just order the Injen you can get it from one of the sponsors of the forum " Carid " I got mine from them and it came super fast. It's a bit more money but at least you will be super happy with it. I would take that as a sign that it just wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sadly my part won't be coming. They charged me $45 for shipping, but now they want a additional $40 ! Forget that, now the prices seem the same, I'm going to wait for the DC new website to launch and buy from them. Crazy.
I totally agree with Airbagged, buy the InJen intake, I think, and you will too, that its the better intake anyway. I have always thought that the DC Sports intake was inferior to the InJen intake. Up to you??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sucks man! Forget it just order the Injen you can get it from one of the sponsors of the forum " Carid " I got mine from them and it came super fast. It's a bit more money but at least you will be super happy with it. I would take that as a sign that it just wasn't meant to be.
Only problem is I think the DC Ram was going to be a easy install, something a beginner like me could handle. The Injen cold air intake I hear you have to move sensors and things? I'd probably screw it up and would pay even more to have someone install it. So I guess I'll wait for now. Shame though.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Only problem is I think the DC Ram was going to be a easy install, something a beginner like me could handle. The Injen cold air intake I hear you have to move sensors and things? I'd probably screw it up and would pay even more to have someone install it. So I guess I'll wait for now. Shame though.
I think you are quite wrong, the InJen intake is just as easy and simple to install as
the DC Sports intake, maybe even easier....the install of the InJen is a no-brainer, VERY easy!
You will be shocked at how easy it is. Bottom line is if you have trouble installing the
InJen intake, then you will for sure have trouble installing the DC Sports intake....but I'm
confident you would have no trouble with either one.

·
Registered
988 Posts
GOT IT!!! I think I understand where you got the idea that the Injen would be more
difficult to install. The InJen picture you are looking at makes it look like a long ram
intake which is misleading. The only intake that Injen makes for out iQ's is the Injen
Short Ram.....just like the DC Sports short ram intake except better made and it
possibly extends even a little farther down for cooler air, but really very easy to install.
Seriously speaking, I can swap from the stock intake to the Injen intake OR from the
Injen intake back to the stock one, either way in less than 10 minutes...how difficult
does that sound? It certainly isn't rocket science.

(Long rams technically in the past has the air filter positioned inside the front
fender for maximum cooler air intake, the cooler the air-the more power....our
iQ's have no way and no room for an air filter to go in to the front fender. This
is why they, (Injen and DC Sports), only make a short ram for the iQ).

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Dude seriously the injen intake is beyond easy to instal like mistergib said 10 minutes tops!! Don't stress it make your first mod a good mod! Don't buy crap! Buy a high quality part. There is a reason it costs more money it is way better! And injen does way more R&D with their products. I've owned a crap load of cars and a crap load of cold air intakes my injen is by far my favorite.here is a picture of my actual intake in my actual car, you can't tell me that intake doesn't look bad ass!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts