Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for ideas to dress up the stock IQ steel wheels without hub caps. Chrome lug nuts, rim tape, etc? Photos please.
Thanks

·
Registered
985 Posts
If it were me, I stop with chrome lug nuts. The steelies are what they are....I think it'd be best to not try and dress them up beyond reason. Keep 'em honest...maybe that'll look best. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Upon consideration, striping might look good if you powdercoated the wheels nicely...that would dress them up a bit. The stock paint finish isn't all that great, although it's perfectly serviceable for its intended use. In the end, though, if money is to be spent I recommend saving up for some aftermarket wheels that offer some weight savings over the steelies. That'd help the car's physics out alot. I did this and, for what I got out of the project, it was not all that costly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chrome acorn nuts and some kind of wheel center cap is what I think I will go for. Just need to measure the diameter of the hole in the wheel and find out the wheel stud size.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
For what you would spend on powdercoating the wheels you could buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels.

If you are set on keeping the steelies, one look would be as stated above, chrome lug nuts, a chrome center cap and add a chrome trim ring.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No plans to powder coat the steel wheels. I'm happy with the steel wheels.

Ordered the Chrome Acorn Bulge Lug Nuts 12x1.5mmoff Ebay just now. Will measure the center hole diameter for the cap tomorrow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like this? This is a Yaris but where I think I am headed. Maybe no chrome ring. Nice and simple. The cap is from Napa's Balkamp catalog # 730-2411 in this photo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is also pre circular formed rim tape (some reflective - some not) in a huge variety of colors that is used for motorcycle and scooter wheels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've actually removed the wheel covers from my IQ and I'm starting to tape them up. I'm just going to paint them. The plan goes like this, I have the wide seven spoke pattern covers. They have a raised ridge in the middle of the spoke. I'm taping off the center ridge (as best I can, I suck at this stuff), then I'm going to gloss black paint the rest of the wheel cover. That will give the raised area more of the appearance of being a 7 spoke rim while the gloss black should match the steelies pretty well. I know this isn't the greatest plan in the whole world, so if it doesn't work, I'll go get gunmetal grey rattle can and just paint the entire cover that color instead of silver. I just hate silver... What do you all think?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scarter4work,
Sounds good to me. Please post photos when you are done.

The place where I ordered the chrome lug nuts sent me four locking lug bolts so I am waiting for the proper shipment before continuing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've gotten two of the covers taped so far. With 5 kiddos running around till 9pm, finding time to get them done quickly can be tricky. I'm off tomorrow, so I should be able to get started with painting then if the weather cooperates... And I will post pics when they are done.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installed the dust caps and the chrome acorn lug nut today and it turned out pretty nice. The caps fit snug and I put a few spots of super glue on them just for insurance.
Dust caps (part # 1520 2.44") from Southwest Wheel at https://www.southwestwheel.com/store/search.aspx?SearchTerm=1520

When I wear out the oem tires I'll probably go with mag wheels and larger tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, the painted wheel covers turned out ok, but in the end, I destroyed the paint with an incompatible clear coat. Ticked off was not the right word. I went to Amazon and got some wheel covers... Pilot WH521-16C-B All Black 16" Indy Wheel Cover. These should look pretty nice. I'll try to get some pics up when I get them in. The price was definitely right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
car.JPG Looking good . I lost a hupcap to a Indy pothole and I am leasing so I getting these hupcaps too. I am thinking of getting two sets so I will be ready for the potholes on Indys streets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts