Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I found these...

They're about 3 3/4" chrome when not activated and perfect to replace at least my rear scion badge (maybe the front too).

I'm thinking maybe blue for the front (I like blue, and it's an autobot color), not sure how it'd go with the red wrap, but it's $10, if it doesn;t work I can pull it off and try a different one.

Red makes the most sense for the red since it can pull double duty as a brake light

Only one problem: I have no clue in hell how to wire these!
They're 12v so that shouldn't be an issue...but where/how do I hook them in?

I'm guessing the front logo would be best wired into the headlights or maybe parking lights?
Rear either brake or tail lights.

Are there diagrams of the wiring to be found?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Front would be wired up to a running light, Suggest white to avoid police issues
Red would be a rear running light

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
You can splice into the wires for the front running lights in the engine compartment and the rear running lights from the small door on the rear quarter panels.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the badges on the iq are just stuck on with 3m mounting tape, so easy to remove (see the lwe don't need no stinking...' thread for details)

My only concern now is how to get the rear wire inside. The front one therels that little slot under the middle of the badge, but the ear just has those two tiny, widely-spaced holes which will probably end up on either side of the badge rather than under it. I may have to drill...

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, the pins nd holes are just so they line up right, you can just pop them off and stick something new on top of the blank spot.. it's all covered in the other thread. Easy peasy

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just make sure you find something appropriately sized. The rear badge leaves a pair of holes about four inches apart which you'll want to cover up (I'm getting wrapped, so I'm literally covered in that regard) The front badge leaves a weird triangular slit but it;s small and centrally located so just about anything will cover it.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question: is there some kind of y-adapter I can get so I can, for instance, jut plug these in between the wiring harness and the head/tail lights without having to hack into any wires?

Also thinking about a pair of them one on the inside of each door wired to the dome light so they light up when it opens, add some style and visibility to keep people from swiping my door off if I open it into the street at night

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if maybe they just plugged into the wiring harness like a molex connector on a computer power supply. I know in the 'brake light/reflector' thread there was an adapter used so I figured i'd check to see if one would work for this too

·
Registered
181 Posts
A back-lit stained glass Thundercats logo is on my someday wish list. Google sez I'll have to fab one up m'self (nothing exists to my licking) so it'll be a long forever before I have one. In the mean time: plain and boring plug-a-hole:
IMAG0847.jpg

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: finally got them hooked up.

Trying to run a line through the inside of the hatch, through that rubber pipe and down the inside of the car to get to one of the hatches for the tail lights looked fucking DAUNTING
So I took the coward's way out and just wired it directly to the middle brake light on the window. Someday I may cowboy up and try to run a line all the way inside to the tail lights, but for now it;ll certainly get attention when I brake. hit the brakes the logo goes read. Beautiful.

I was only able to find the crimp-style tie-ins and they only had the larger gauge size, making it impossible to use on the super-thin wires leading to the middle brake light, so for the rear one I just stripped insulation, wrapped the leads around and taped them up.

The front ones however had nice beefy wires and those tie ins worked great. I used a few inches of heavy gauge wire to connect to the tie in then stripped the end and wrapped the weedy little wires from the badge into the thicker strand I used for the tap in. Bunged it all into the right headlight wires, works like a charm.

Pics as soon as it gets dark

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pics!

Front With and Without Flash

Rear With and Without Flash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts