Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to my garage tonight and heard a buzzing/humming noise from the iQ. It was very apparent when I put my ear up to the driver's side wheel wells. I got in to pop the hood, and just as I popped the hood, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what would be running when the car is off? This was about 4-5hrs after I had parked it. If it happens again I will get my phone out and record a video of it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooh, I googled around and found the same situation in a 4runner. This was the answer: "It is for emissions, read your manual, it is in there. The fuel pump runs every four hours I believe." So hopefully this is it. I will have to go out and check out the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Ooh, I googled around and found the same situation in a 4runner. This was the answer: "It is for emissions, read your manual, it is in there. The fuel pump runs every four hours I believe." So hopefully this is it. I will have to go out and check out the manual.
That is it,no worries,i experienced this as well when i first got my car,AND YES,i was going to admire my new IQ after parking it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My wife scared me last night with this same strange noise. The car had been in the garage for about 3 hours and, when going to bed, she opened the door to the garage to make sure the door was closed and heard the noise.

I went out there and it was coming from the left/rear of the car. I started the car and didn't have any warning lights and then turned it off...no noise.

My main concern is it draining the battery doing that...that battery isn't very big.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My wife scared me last night with this same strange noise. The car had been in the garage for about 3 hours and, when going to bed, she opened the door to the garage to make sure the door was closed and heard the noise.I went out there and it was coming from the left/rear of the car. I started the car and didn't have any warning lights and then turned it off...no noise.
My main concern is it draining the battery doing that...that battery isn't very big.
Not to worry, it's normal and will not deplete your battery. It turns on and shuts off by
itself. Its part of your anti-polution system and is in-line with your gas tank. It is that
square black box with hoses running in and out of it, underneath the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me what page in the manual? I read the manual from cover to cover the day I bought the car. Before reading this forum I called Toyota to inquire about the issue. They explained and I asked if it was in the manual. They told me it was not. But after reading this forum I thought maybe it is in there so I read it again. I still can't find it. It does talk about an OBD system. However, I live in Florida and we do NOT have emission inspections and it does NOT mention anything about this system doing checks every 3 or 5 hours even when the car is off NOR does it mention ANYTHING about a "HUMMING" noise. So if it's in there can someone tell me what page it's on? Now, in the warranty & maintenance guide on page 17 it does list a warranty parts list and it does talk about the Evaporative Control System and it's parts. But this is the only mention of this system I can find.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2012 iQ Owner's Manual, Page 17 under "Noise from under vehicle after turning off the engine" states "Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and it does not indicate a malfunction." The same statement is on Page 18 of the Owner's Manual for my 2010 Toyota RAV4. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.