Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a additional step by step instruction. Please read the enclosed instructions with the unit first !
You will need.
A 10mm deep socket,short extension and 1/4" ratchet
Soldering gun, solder and tape
Exacto knife
4" of double sided tape
Cruise control >> 2012 Scion IQ Be sure to tell them you are a member of this forum and would like the next day free upgrade shipping.

This is what you will get in the mail.

This is the part that will hook into the OBD II diagnostic connector.

The control unit.

This is the part that hooks into the control stalk.

This plugs into the throttle pedal, power and ground.

Control stalk.

Tie straps and connector terminals for the control stalk.

Remove this 10mm bolt.

Remove the left black cover, it just snaps in. The plastic part over the door sill will have to be unsnapped part way. Release the OBD II connector.

Once you can see this remove this 10mm bolt.

Remove the hood release, un-clip the TPMS reset button, and the OBD II connector. If not removed yet.

This is where the hole for the stalk is drilled. It puts it closer to the dash so your knee won't hit it and snap it off !
This cover just snaps off below the steering wheel, and will look like this. You can move it farther out like the instructions.
But I have seen a lot of people hit them with their knees and damage them.
After drilling the hole, put the wires thru, tighten the nut to secure the stalk.
Install them into the white and black connector as per instructions.
Route the wires in a safe route. Secure with tie straps.

Release the throttle power connector.

Plug in the new throttle wiring harness for the cruise.

Route the wire over the brace and secure it to the OE wire harness to keep from falling down.

Hook the ground here to this stud. It will be very tight, so watch your knuckles !

Disconnect this blue connector, you can see where it went behind the wiring harness.

Trim off part of the insulation on the green wire mention in the instructions, and spread the wires like this.

Put the wire thru, then twist around and solder good ! Tape over with black insulation tape.

Another view of the ground connection. Gather up all the wires and use a tie strap to secure them.

Plug in all the connectors, put a piece of double sided tape like so.

It will fit perfectly in this location and be held by the double sided tape.

Plug in the OBD II connectors like so and the other ones disconnected earlier.
Put the trim pieces back on. Snap the trim piece holding the control stalk back on if you have not done in previous step.
Turn the key on and test drive it !

Its done

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got this on order through a local installer and anticipate it showing up this week. This is a great write up although being a short, bald, left handed old man I'm hesitant to take it on myself. I will share it with them though. Every bit of knowledge helps.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
i've got this on order through a local installer and anticipate it showing up this week. This is a great write up although being a short, bald, left handed old man i'm hesitant to take it on myself. I will share it with them though. Every bit of knowledge helps.
dont be so hard on yourself friend.lol

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
JL, let us know how much time they bill you for when you have it installed. I may see if the dealership would be willing to hook this up for me. I know just enough to know i don;t know what i'm doing messing with the wiring of a brand new car ;-)

·
Registered
98 Posts
JL, let us know how much time they bill you for when you have it installed. I may see if the dealership would be willing to hook this up for me. I know just enough to know i don;t know what i'm doing messing with the wiring of a brand new car ;-)
I was quoted $425 supplied and installed and about an hour to do the job. They come out to the house in their Scion xB/xD "vans" and do the work on site.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
That's not bad, especially if they're coming to you. I wonder if they have something like that in my area

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Thank you. Excellent write up. Please let us know how it performs on the road.

I made this a sticky. We are working on adding a DIY section to the forums and this will be moved there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tested it in town and interstate. In town the Eco reading stayed between 45-53 mpg. On the interstate it held the speed really good. Maybe this weekend I will take a road trip and see what kind of fuel mileage I get.
Thanks for making it a sticky. I love to help people out. It is really easy to install. I did it in about half a hour. But I figured most people might take longer. It is one of the easiest ones to install I have ever done.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well so far traveling at 35 mph this is where the ECO reading is hovering. I have noticed that the ECO light actually stays on a lot more with the cruise control on. As I am sure it is more accurate than my size 12 foot.......I need to go on a road trip this weekend to test it on a longer highway trip..

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Spidious,

Just finished mine, your write up was great. I printed it out and used it page by page as a guide. Took me about 45 minutes to install. Took it for a drive and I noticed more ECO to with the mileage climbing quicker than ever before, can't wait to get it out on the open road again to compare, as I just had gotten back from a roadtrip without cruise.

Thanks again for the great write up!

JD

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$300 is a bargain. Look at the stickers on new cars and see what they charge for them. But of course they usually hide it in a package deal.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts