Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the thing: I want an iQ, I love the car, I think it looks awesome, I like how it drives, I like all the stuff you can do to it...but I want it in RED

I want a ridiculously tiny, toy-like RED car.
Why? Because A) red is awesome, and B) I collect transformers and one of my favorites is Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper is a pint-sized badass. The iQ is a pind-sized badass. Cliffjumper packs shockingly huge guns around and nobody's sure where he puts them. The iQ has a shockingly large interior space capble of holding several grown adults and nobody;s sure how.

I plan to replace the scion badges with chrome Autobot logos, I've got a custom bumper sticker made up and waiting at cafepress with Cliffjumper's G1 tech specs on it.

My car will be Cliffjumper.

But Cliffjumper is not orange.

For some insane reason, the iQ is only available in a handful of colors and none of them are red. It's kind of weird for a brand that's all about customization to only offer a couple of colors, but whatever.

So here's my question: The dealership doesn't have a Hot Lava IQ on-hand, and pictures online I've seen make it look either really orange, or basically red.

So...how red/orange is Hot Lava? Is someone going to look at it and see a red car? Can I say "oh, mine's the red one?" or is it really pretty much orange?

Also, has anyone had any luck getting a custom color from the dealership?
I know they've got red paint at the Toyota factory, I've seen other scions in red. How hard can it be to get them to point the red paint at mine when they build it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
536 Posts
welcome!

search on forum , theres a lot of Hot Lava (but it's not red....)
you can make a total covering

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think Hot Lava is more Burnt Orange. Think orange with a tint of red in it. Since you want Red I think Hot Lava will disappoint you.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree. I bought the Hot Lava and it's more of a burnt orange like Bohemian said. Here's a pic that will give you a good idea of what the colour looks like...

However, there are also a lot of pics on here of the actual Hot Lava iQ that will give you the same idea. Either way, hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys. I've seen so many pics and videos and half the time they look orange and half the time they look red. I suppose it depends on the lighting conditions.

These ones look red

But these look more obviously orange

Such an unusual color.

Oh well, hopefully my dealer can work some mojo with the factory. I really don't want to take a brand new car in for a re-spray, especially since I can't really afford a couple thousand for a high-quality job.

Anyone out there know good, cost-effective ways to change your color? Does a $500 Maco special really look awful?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm sure Hot Lava is a pretty complex paint treatment (Blizzard Pearl is) and perhaps that is why it reads differently in different light/photos. Most of the print ads I have seen feature a Hot Lava iQ and it looks very orange, but the one I saw in person appeared much darker and more nuanced.....but it was in no way red.

Only way to get a truly red iQ is a respray I'm afraid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was disappointed as well that red isn't available. I traded my red xD for an iQ but couldn't get red again, so I went with purple. No offense to Hot Lava owners, but orange is my least favorite color. I don't ever wear it - ever. I've seen those same pictures online, Cliffjumper, and noticed the difference in color as well, so I went to see the car in person, and I feel it is certainly orange. A burnt orange or reddish orange, but certainly orange. Cliffjumper, I wonder if the car in the second picture you posted was a red test car or something. I've seen red (true red) iQs in an online video that talked about the "upcoming" Scion iQ, before it was released. So maybe there was a red in the test cars/colors? I think the Hot Lava iQ might possibly look red in extreme low light or very different colored light, but other than that, 99.9 percent of the time, it is (for me) unfortunately orange.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. I wonder if my dealership can just have a Toyota iQ barged in. Shit, they wouldn;t even have to rebdge it, I;d love to have the only red toyota iq in north america.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if my dealership can just have a Toyota iQ barged in. Shit, they wouldn;t even have to rebdge it, I;d love to have the only red toyota iq in north america.
wont happen,but sure would be cool

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They bring cars over from japan all the time anyway. I mean, that's where a lava orange one would come from, why not just roll a different one into the shipping container or whatever?

Ah well, I'm sure there's probably some red tape mumbo jumbo preventing it.

It just doesn't seem that unreasonable. It's a color that exists in their inventory already. I'm not asking for a custom shade that doesn't exist. Hell, they even have the exact car I want already painted red with a different stick-on badge. If they must re-brand it, fine whatever, The car exists in this color. They;d probably have to have any one I wanted shipped in from Japan as it is, why should this be any different? Especially since i'm willing to pay the premium paint price.

Ah well, the manager I talked to will be in tomorrow, I'll call him up and see where I'm at.

just seems silly to me that the brand that's all about customization can;t simply give me something that already exists.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will do. I'm not expecting miracles, but they really seemed to be listening when I brought it up. They said they'd need to send it down the line and see what they could do, but they've done custom orders before, and the floor manager I talked to agreed it wasn't an unreasonable request, so I guess we'll see.

I mean, if they want my 18k (I will be picking up some upgrades) then it's in their interest to give me the car I want. All they have to do is either spray some paint they already have on a bare one, or roll an already red toyota into a crate and BAM, that sale is made. If they can;t deliver that then suddenly I'm either looking at a different car or else I'm looking at buying a lot less flash because suddenly I have to pay for a recolor.

Sure, my not buying an iQ won't break Toyota, or even the dealership, really but when they stand to make or loose thousands on a decision that costs them basically nothing but a little time and logistics it doesn;t make any sense to me why they wouldn't just go the extra mile.

Especially since if they did, you bet your ass it would be all over the net. I'll shout it from the rooftops, take a group photo of the sales staff piled around my brand new red iq and face-tweet that sucker all around the blogotumblrsphere.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good luck to ya! I'd think it would be easier just to have a car repainted but who knows? Looking at the picture of the Toyota iQ a question comes to mind: will you have to special order in accessories from Japan? It looks like you wouldn't even have the option for fog lights if you wanted as it looks like there is no where to put them.

I do like the coloured mirrors on that one. I wish our mirrors were the same colour as the car instead of grey.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts