Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a Scion IQ 2012. The sale's lady told me it can last as long as other regular Toyota such as Toyota Camry, as it is built with the same engine. I doubt about it, as Camry can last about 200k. I read a discuss about Smart car which can last about 100k. Can anyone expert help me with this question please? Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am no expert and I am looking to get an IQ hopefully by month's end but Toyotas are known for longevity. I heard a story once there was an older Corolla with 200,000 miles that was set on fire and still started up and ran when the fire was put out. The story was either a YouTube video or one of those reality shows. Can't remember because I heard this story 10 years ago.
As far as Smart cars go, people who live in Europe and live here in Florida part of the year have Smart cars here and in Europe. They say a Smart will go 150,000. I have driven both the IQ and the Smart and the IQ blows the Smart away. 3 cylinder engine against 4 cylinder in the IQ. More power and better safety with 11 airbags and better warranty with 2 yrs free maintance so I figure an IQ would beat the 150k of the Smart if properly cared for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We have run Toyota products out to 300,000+ miles without significant mechanical difficulties. (There were the occasional blown AC compressor, a water pump that wore out and stuff like that. But, the fundamentals of the drive train, suspension, body integrity and so on wore very well.)

Cosmetically (as in looking dated), the cars and vans became obsolete. But, as a means of transport, they wore very well.

We had a 2009 smart Passion coupe that wore very well as well. Only ran it out to 50,000 miles, however, so I can't speak to the long term there.

Damn'd thing rode like an armored personnel carrier with the front snubbers missing, though. Had to trade it in to preserve our spnes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just traded few weeks ago my 2012iq for a 2014 anniversary edition traded it with 32000 miles on it never had one singel problem with it only to dealer for tire rotation and oil changes oh and I had to buy 1 tire for it becus it got a small bubble

·
Registered
47 Posts
For me, I would like to call IQ is a toy car (and you guys may say so), because it is very small and very cute; but, it is a real transportation car that take you from point A to point B with very convenience in city, and even with long distance driving. As I said IQ is a real car, so it can last very long as Toyota or Honda as long as we keep it with a good maintenance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One thing Toyota is UNBEATEN at is longevity. Have you ever watched the British show, "Top Gear?" A few years ago, they had a series called, "Killing a Toyota" and it's awesome! (And true...the trucks are as close to "indestructible" as you can get.) I've been to 18 countries in the US Air Force and one common older vehicle, especially in the Middle East, are the Toyota trucks! (Watch the news, sometime, from over there and notice all the older Toyota trucks!)

Here's Part 1...be sure to watch all 3!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow, 158,000 miles!! How many sets of tires you been through? Do you get the same OEM tire every time? Any engine or transmission probs at all? How about brakes, have you replaced them?

My 2014 IQ has 11,000 miles.

Felkers

·
Registered
7 Posts
My IQ have about 45k kilometers, yesterday i examined my brake pads without taking them out i just put a mobile phone near and made a photo and they looked like new, maybe left about 70-80% on them, i think they can easily last for more than 100k kilometers

Great to see that IQ with 158k miles did not has any problems, that's the power of Toyota :cool:

Alex.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had my IQ for 3 years now. Great car I've put 158k miles on it. You heard me right. 158,000 miles. No problems out of it. Always make sure the tires are good and oil is fresh.
Interesting and good to know :)

One question about your mileage.... Would you consider these to be hard driven miles -or- just simple highway miles? Just curious to know how hard these cars can be driven and how well the transmission has been holding up?!

Thanks in advance!
DL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to buy a Scion IQ 2012. The sale's lady told me it can last as long as other regular Toyota such as Toyota Camry, as it is built with the same engine. I doubt about it, as Camry can last about 200k. I read a discuss about Smart car which can last about 100k. Can anyone expert help me with this question please? Thank you.
Today I just rolled past 212,000 miles in my 2013 IQ. Its never been in the shop for repairs of any type. I change the oil and have been through 3 sets of tires. Never any problems with the engine ir transmission. I did replace the front disc brake pads and calipers that cost me about $80.00 which I did myself. The back drums brakes are still good. I do alot of both stop and go city driving and highway miles on this car. I would definitely recommend the Scion IQ, especially for city driving. It is a fun little car to zip around town and is one of the most dependable cars we have ever owned. I have no doubt I will get another 100,000 miles out of it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
how often did you change the engine oil and transmission fluid?

how much life left on the rear drum brakes after 212k miles?

Today I just rolled past 212,000 miles in my 2013 IQ. Its never been in the shop for repairs of any type. I change the oil and have been through 3 sets of tires. Never any problems with the engine ir transmission. I did replace the front disc brake pads and calipers that cost me about $80.00 which I did myself. The back drums brakes are still good. I do alot of both stop and go city driving and highway miles on this car. I would definitely recommend the Scion IQ, especially for city driving. It is a fun little car to zip around town and is one of the most dependable cars we have ever owned. I have no doubt I will get another 100,000 miles out of it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts