Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had so many people complain that they can't hear me well when I'm using my cell phone in the iQ. I'm wondering if it's just the mic. I have no complaints when I have it paired in my Vanagon or on my headset at work.

Have you had any issues with the sound quality of the mic? I hear the other caller perfectly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was recently told by a caller that my voice wasn't real clear. That was the first time anyone had told me that, so maybe a bad connection? I do know , if I have the AC blasting , the fan noise drowns out my voice. once I turn it down, they hear me fine...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine sounds kind of hollow -- talking through a mailing tube. I had a friend sit in the car while I called from my cell; it could be better!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've only used mine once, and it was the day it was installed. My wife called and I forgot I had it hooked up. Answered it and had her voice coming in through all speakers. She couldn't understand me at all. It was awful. I need to try again and see if I was just in a bad area or what it was.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you resolve the mic issue? I've used several different phones in my iQ and I have the same problem. I can hear the caller's voice just fine, but mine is garbled. Had the dealer address the problem and the response was that's how hands free bluetooth sounds. I've used my phone on a Prius and other bluetooth hands free devices without a problem. In my iQ, people can understand me only if I stop and park and even then the quality is poor. I've taken all recommend actions, adjusting volume, making sure the phone is fully charged or plugged in. Nothing helps

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have found a solution to the problem. The mic location, on top of the steering wheel housing or on the lower shelf of the gauge cluster is a very noisy place. My problem was only when I was driving at speed on the freeway. I talked to my buddy who owns an audio shop and he told me the best place to mount the mic is on the windshield up and to the left of the driver. I removed my mic and placed in the "dead zone" that was suggested. I have yet to drive the iQ on the freeway since I moved it so I don't have a conclusion as to whether or not it will improve the situation. I'll be driving to Las Vegas this weekend and have a chance to test it out. I'll post up my findings.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, looks like I found a solution to my problem with the help of my buddy Gene who is a professional audio installer. He told me that the location of the Bluetooth mic on top of the steering column is one of the worst locations in the car. That area is hit by lots of reflective noise from inside the vehicle. My mic sounded fine when I wasn't moving but at speed no one could understand what I was saying. Gene suggested mounting the mic in what he referred to as "a dead zone". It's the upper left hand corner of the windshield. He said that for whatever reason that location gets the least amount of noise. I followed his suggestion and moved the mic to that spot and it works perfectly. I made several calls from the highway and the person on the other end was able to hear me just fine. Gone was the skipping and breaking up of the audio that had plagued me when the mic was mounted on the steering column. This has made me very happy! If you are suffering from the same issue with your mic try moving it. There is plenty of slack in the wire to reach the windshield.

Remove the small side piece of the dash. This will allow you to pull the dash section that houses the gauges. Once you pull that loose you'll see the mic wire. Pull it back through the dash and thread it up through the dash to the driver side A pillar. Tuck the wire behind the A pillar and use some 3M tape to attach the mic to the windshield. Your finished project will look something like this...

As seen from the outside...

·
Registered
160 Posts
What's the round black thing on the windshield? Glad to hear it works better there. I still don't have my iQ, but will consider this. I know it's asking a lot, but for those who aren't as familiar with pulling their dash apart, or are afrain of breaking something, a photo DIY would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The round black thing is the antenna for the Advanced Keys keyless entry system. There is one just like it in the rear side window.

I'll try and post some pics but it's really just a matter of grab and pull. LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
scl, I went out and pulled and yanked on my loaner car, and see now how things popped off and how the mic is attached. Thanks for your guidance.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a few quick shots for reference.

Once the lower knee panel has been removed and the door rubber is pulled back you can pry out the side cover of the dash...

Grab on the gauge cluster housing and pull the entire piece up...

This will allow you to reach the mic for removal and replacement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interestingly, the only difference I've seen in a 2013 is the location of the BT microphone, which is now to the left of the heating controls. It would appear they learned of people's concerns. Too bad they didn't improve the dome light.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is the new location for the BT microphone. I have no idea if it's better, as I didn't use the old one and haven't tried this one.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not meaning to offend Dave....but....I think that someone at Scion got lazy when
it came to mounting that mic. It really looks just tacked on, like its placement was
a total after-thought, what were they thinking? I think I'd rather have mine on the
dash where it at least semi-blends in a bit and you can't see the wire, or, move it
to where Taz did his?
Sorry, I'm not tying to be rude, just my opinion, however much thats worth? Glad
you finally got your replacement car....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts