Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been around 90+ here in SOCAL and my IQ's AC is just cool enough, but not cold. Being a fairly inexpensive tiny car, I am curious how effective/cold the AC system is? What's your experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I would put mine into 'cool enough' as well. We have 90+ as well, and once it cools off - it is fairly comfortable. I usually go to Fan 3 and dial the 'cool' dial a bit back (towards warm) to make it more comfortable. That said, I spend a lot of time outside, so my comfort scale might be a bit scewed.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
895 Posts
I remember when I first got the iQ I was happy with the AC, meaning it is (as typical of Japanese vehicles in general) good to excellent, somewhere in the range. When I bought it in Sacramento the GPS to get there interestingly noted exactly 400 mi, so I had to drive it home a significant distance. I do not recall a time (in all past experience with it) where I was concerned with coolness, (although I must admit not driving it much mileage wise).

Turning the manual controls I have the cool warm knob counterclockwise one turn from the end. One more click to the left and recirculate would automatically turn on, meaning there is more available cooling that I am not finding a need to tap. I also don’t use MAX cooling button. I definitely upgraded from the Smart Fortwo when it comes to cool AC. In extremely HOT weather that one was what you say is cool enough, just adequate. (The engine was under a panel right behind the seats)…

I wonder how much the AC has possibly degraded during the 8 years or so (due to age). In using 8 I am just selecting 2014 my model year).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks both for your responses. My experience is very similar to yours. It is cool enough/comfortable for a 90+ degrees day in socal, especially traveling at fwy speed. It does get a bit warmer when stuck in traffic which is normal due to less air flow through the front.

In regard to your question about the possible degradation over time, I checked the AC sight glass while it is on, and I do see some bubbles now. I can't confirm if it is normal for the IQ, but I recalled seeing some bubbles back in 2018 with about 11K miles. My IQ is also 2014 with about 15K miles.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
895 Posts
To confirm we should have our iQs together one day next to each other, ACs on in the exact same way, and look at the sight glass. It is unclear from the literature except that in (extremely) HOT conditions that bubbles may form.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you might see less bubbles during hot condition as the gas expands.... Do you see any bubbles on the sight glass while it is running at idle speed.. You can miss it once you pop the hood.

To confirm we should have our iQs together one day next to each other, ACs on in the exact same way, and look at the sight glass. It is unclear from the literature except that in (extremely) HOT conditions that bubbles may form.

·
Registered
2012 Scion iQ
1 Posts
I'm in Southern California. We have been having a heat wave, 90+ daily. I purchase my 2012 iQ used and I have to say that the A/C works great. Takes just a couple of minutes to cool off the car and I have to dial the fan back otherwise the car get too cold. My car is not garaged, so it can get very hot from sitting in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's great... just curious if you see any bubble in the sight glass while the AC is on at idle speed? My AC's performance is satisfactory and I do see some bubbles at idle speed. I suspect that maybe normal for the IQ, but I can't really confirmed.

I'm in Southern California. We have been having a heat wave, 90+ daily. I purchase my 2012 iQ used and I have to say that the A/C works great. Takes just a couple of minutes to cool off the car and I have to dial the fan back otherwise the car get too cold. My car is not garaged, so it can get very hot from sitting in direct sunlight.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
895 Posts
Sorry I didn't get to this yet! Just to be equal, can you be specific on the AC settings? Windows open/closed? Doors open/closed? Hatch opened/closed? Manual is sometimes pretty specific about these things when testing. (I'm beginning to suspect yours may be a little low). Engine warmed up I assume? (Cold engine light off)? I am happy to take a video of what I see....

·
Registered
Toyota IQ 2009 1.0
10 Posts
The AC blows very cold on mine. I live in Norway though, it does not get anywhere near as hot here. The AC usually holds up great here on these cars, so i suggest getting a gas test done with a sniffing device, not sure what they are called in English, just to rule out any leaks and maybe a gas refill with UV reacting fluid in it to more easily detect leaks should it become worse. That way, you can visually detect leaks with a UV flashlight :)

bubbling in the looking glass is normal, as long ss its not excessive or looks similar to foam in there. AC systems need servicing once in a while, so a quick top up with oil and gas might just be needed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
engine at normal operating temp and AC compressor engaged at idle speed. Outside temp around 80's. I don't think the doors or hatch would effect the indication on the sight glass.

Sorry I didn't get to this yet! Just to be equal, can you be specific on the AC settings? Windows open/closed? Doors open/closed? Hatch opened/closed? Manual is sometimes pretty specific about these things when testing. (I'm beginning to suspect yours may be a little low). Engine warmed up I assume? (Cold engine light off)? I am happy to take a video of what I see....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you so much for the video... I think mine is similar... sometime bubbles like around the 35 to 45 sec on your video and other time less. Guess I'll be good for the next few days as it will stay around triple digit heat.

84 F per display on dash, driver door wide open, settings as shown, engine cold light off air filter is not the original has carbon impregnation. Video is somewhat poor from my REVVL V+ 5G. I see some bubbling but not consistent. Will upload to Google Drive and link.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
895 Posts
It's horribly hot. So hot I have been trying to convince my wife to get a used EV while we wait to see what develops of our remaining (Tesla Model Y reservation fell through) Cybertruck, VinFast VF8, and VinFast VF9 reservations. (We are very likely to pick one of the three).

It's been a few years since I've needed to add freon to any vehicle. The latest type seems to be R-1234yf, but our iQs use R-134a I believe. My favorite product line has been A/C Pro. They have a new premium line called Extreme which comes in two versions, 1 with a digital gauge which walks you through the refilling process and another called SmartCharge which has a smartphone app and Bluetooth adapter to make recharging easy....

If you have any concern about A/C performance I think it's wise to invest in one of these and check/refill/top off as needed. Why? Because as I understand as/if the system has lost some freon then it has to work harder to cool down your car. This increase wear and may cause premature failure. I would not hesitate to check the level since you already have a question about performance. (I mean why have the question in the first place if you didn't sense something might be off)....

Like I noted these are new products that I haven't gotten around to trying. I do have an AC gauge set from Harbor Freight that I also have used in the past. Let me know if you'd like to try with that. If I recall correctly your reference to Toyota of Pasadena (in the past) most likely means you are local to me...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both used and new cars (ICE and EV) are so expensive these days. I would certainly wait a bit unless you really needed one immediately. My friend got the Model Y and is happy with it. There's probably 2 years wait for the Cybertruck?? I'm not sold on EV's quite yet. I'll wait for the solid state battery which will allow faster charging and longer range.

I think the AC in my IQ is fine and will certainly go with your recommendations if I have recharge it. I still have an very old car that uses R12, and I have recharged it a couple of times over the years with the $15 hose kit.

Thanks again for your help.

It's horribly hot. So hot I have been trying to convince my wife to get a used EV while we wait to see what develops of our remaining (Tesla Model Y reservation fell through) Cybertruck, VinFast VF8, and VinFast VF9 reservations. (We are very likely to pick one of the three).

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
895 Posts
For the Y my wife made a reservation the first day maybe within a couple hours of opening reservations. Tesla didn't conclude that they will not make this LR RWD model until the end/December of 2021, at which time we were faced with change to one that is made, at substantially higher price than original if we had picked an AWD model in the first place $10k or so, and would not even honor the original Full Self Driving price. Basically they didn't care to lose us as a customer. For the Cybertruck similar 1st day reservation, and then they are going to raise pricing on that too. At least reserving that was $100 vs $2500 for the Y reservation.

VinFast is new and provided significant incentives to reserve early, with a $200 refundable deposit. We'll see how that pans out...

Yes I agree supply and demand have dictated HIGH prices right now. Thank you...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sorry that the deal didn't work out for you, but like other dealerships, they are taking advantage of the situation to make huge profits on their cars. The markups is insane with both used and new cars. My brother took his one year old car in for service, and the dealer offered him $40k more than what he paid. Well, EVERYTHING is so expensive these days while we're heading into a recession. I am very worried about how it will play out.

For the non-auto related issues - crime rate, environmental (water, heat), and politics as the country is getting more divided everyday. There are so many negatives that something big will blow up inevitably.

Anyhow... have a good long weekend and stay cool.

For the Y my wife made a reservation the first day maybe within a couple hours of opening reservations. Tesla didn't conclude that they will not make this LR RWD model until the end/December of 2021, at which time we were faced with change to one that is made, at substantially higher price than original if we had picked an AWD model in the first place $10k or so, and would not even honor the original Full Self Driving price. Basically they didn't care to lose us as a customer. For the Cybertruck similar 1st day reservation, and then they are going to raise pricing on that too. At least reserving that was $100 vs $2500 for the Y reservation.

VinFast is new and provided significant incentives to reserve early, with a $200 refundable deposit. We'll see how that pans out...

Yes I agree supply and demand have dictated HIGH prices right now. Thank you...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts