Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo!

I just purchased a new iQ yesterday in San Diego after seeing a commercial for it over the holidays. My fiancee and I have been casually looking for a new car, but this one just made sense for living in place with extremely limited parking. I'm going to be driving it back to the Bay Area next week (not sure where we'll fit everything!).

So far, I love my iQ.

-Joe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Drive conservatively when you head to SFO, like never over 65 (I know that's hard on California freeways) and let us know your mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Welcome to the forums and enjoy your new ride. As stated above, you will require a break in period on your new engine of 1,000 miles. During that time try to keep your speed at or below 65 mph. If you are on the freeway for an extended period of time, raise and lower your speed to avoid keeping the same rpm and mph. This will help to break in your engine and avoid burning a valve. If you can, drive for thirty minutes while varying your speed and then pull off for some surface street driving. This extra care during your break in period will provide you much longer life on your engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankfully for the iQ, but not for my patience, traffic was pretty terrible the entire way home and there was plenty of lower-speed and varied speed driving. There won't be much more freeway driving from here on out!

We averaged about 33 MPG, mostly because of the hills.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Thankfully for the iQ, but not for my patience, traffic was pretty terrible the entire way home and there was plenty of lower-speed and varied speed driving. There won't be much more freeway driving from here on out!

We averaged about 33 MPG, mostly because of the hills.
LOL That's a long enough drive without the traffic added to it. Glad you made it home safely!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, you've snatched an iQ from San Diego! LOL! We had about 30 in the county when I was looking. I test drove one all the way to my garage to make sure it still fits along with 4 motorcycles in my parking space. I finally bought one (traded my Smart car). Welcome!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm curious about how the iQ has been performing on hilly areas. I really like the look of them, but I'm worried about my long commute over hilly mountains. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my situation: I'm thinking of getting an iQ as a summer/nice weather commuter car. My drive to work is about 34 miles one way on rural two-lane roads. On the whole trek, there are only 2 stop lights and maybe two stop signs. Its a pretty relaxing country route, but its over a mountain so there's a steady incline and decline both ways. Along with a good bit of twisting turns.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I'm curious about how the iQ has been performing on hilly areas. I really like the look of them, but I'm worried about my long commute over hilly mountains. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my situation: I'm thinking of getting an iQ as a summer/nice weather commuter car. My drive to work is about 34 miles one way on rural two-lane roads. On the whole trek, there are only 2 stop lights and maybe two stop signs. Its a pretty relaxing country route, but its over a mountain so there's a steady incline and decline both ways. Along with a good bit of twisting turns.

Thanks!
If found my iQ to be a champ on the hills. There are several passes to climb on the way from my home to Las Vegas, one reaching an altitude of 4,000 feet. The iQ pulled right along and stayed with traffic. I was actually rather surprised and pleased with the performance. Of course gas mileage doesn't come into play on the climb. LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome Joe! Post pic of your iQ if you have any :D any plans to modify/personalize your iQ?

If found my iQ to be a champ on the hills. There are several passes to climb on the way from my home to Las Vegas, one reaching an altitude of 4,000 feet. The iQ pulled right along and stayed with traffic. I was actually rather surprised and pleased with the performance. Of course gas mileage doesn't come into play on the climb. LOL

Thanks for answering that, I was curious about this seeing the iQ is a small car with a small engine. There's a lot of hills where I live and commute to, so its good to know that won't be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts