Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum has been very helpful so I figured I’d join. Love my 2012 so far, and have had for a couple months now. 79k miles on the odo and everything is working great. A few days ago, however, I noticed a noise coming from the stereo head. I have the non touch screen Pioneer with Bluetooth. It’s intermittent but has become more frequent over the last couple of days, and happens even when the car is off and key is in acc position. It sounds like a CD trying to eject, but also a whirring noise. There is no CD inserted and I read this could be a fan motor going bad within the radio? It happens when the system is on or off, on every setting. I’d hate to buy a new radio but I’m not sure how to fix otherwise. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and thank you for your question. It's difficult for me to say what the noise is from a description vs actually hearing it. I wonder if you are able to record the sound somehow and post it?
Thank you, I was able to upload + here’s the link:
It’s more pronounced near the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely a horrible sound!

And it definitely sounds like a fan failing. (My 2nd guess would be HDD failure but I don't think there's one in that model).

There's sometimes a small model number printed on the front. I would:

1. Google that number and "replace fan".

2. Search www.car-part.com for a replacement radio.

3. Buy a new replacement from an online discount Toyota parts like www.oempartstoyou.com

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip! I’ll check it out. I also called a couple of Toyota dealers in my area and nobody was familiar with the issue. I’ve read of similar issues in other Toyota cars, not limited to the iQ.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts