Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this video on youtube and I got really curious. It is definitely something I will be using a lot if I got one. But how safe and reliable is it? I found a few reviews online and they're all good reviews about it. But I was hoping someone here first hand experience with this product.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I've used similar products before and found them to be more of a pain than just using the stock nut.

·
Registered
98 Posts
was just going to say the same thing. wiht oil changes every 10K and the dealer will do the first two for you, you'd have to be doing some serious miles to make this worth while.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ive seen reviews of this online and lots of guys really like it. im definitely gonna order one. ill let everyone know my review on it when i get mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Let us know how it is when you get it. I'm just worried about it leaking under high pressure. But according to the video it has two seals(one on each side) preventing it from leaking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tried to install one on my 2008 Miata. The way the valve was threaded, the lever to open and close the valve ended up near the underside of the chassis. It was nearly impossible to open and close the valve. It takes quite a bit of pressure to open it. I decided not to leave it on. I bought two at the same time and will attempt to install the other one on my 2011 GTI at its next oil change. It is a great idea and I hope it works on the GTI.

While I have never done it myself, I have seen a lot of stripped threads on oil pans. It will always be the oil pan threads that fail and that requires a costly repair. The valve will stop any chance of that happening.

If it is successful on the GTI, I will get one for the iQ.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ok but with this item u can risk of touch this in the road if the car is lowered
It does not stick straight down on most cars. On my Miata, it was perpendicular to the road. It will be the same on my GTI. I have not even looked at the drain plug on the iQ yet but most on them do not stick straight down.

The valve is not that much wider than the existing drain plug so there is not much of a chance of it coming close to the road even on a really low car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I found out a few guys I personally know use this and have never ever had a problem with leaking or it breaking. They love it so much they use it on all their vehicles. Gonna order one of these in a couple weeks and I'll personally see how good these things are. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts