Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hardwired their radar detector in the iQ? without an optional auto-dimm mirror, just wondering what you'd hardwire into to get the auto on/off with ignition.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Do those things even work? Radar detectors, I mean.
It might catch an unmanned radar trap, but actual police use lasers most of the time, and even the radar guns only come on *after* they see you and suspect you of speeding and whip out the gun to confirm. By that point you're already screwed. How's a radar detector going to help you when it'll only start screaming once you've already been zapped by the cop?

better to just save your money and maybe not speed so much ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Do those things even work? Radar detectors, I mean.
It might catch an unmanned radar trap, but actual police use lasers most of the time, and even the radar guns only come on *after* they see you and suspect you of speeding and whip out the gun to confirm. By that point you're already screwed. How's a radar detector going to help you when it'll only start screaming once you've already been zapped by the cop?

better to just save your money and maybe not speed so much ;-)
They look cool?? But i have and will never use one, i am in the market for a nice gps though, functionality and aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
They look cool?? But i have and will never use one, i am in the market for a nice gps though, functionality and aesthetics.
Aston-Martin-Cygnet-White-4.jpg I've thought about the same thing, Brent. It would be nice to find one that would mount on the dash nicely like they have the screen mounted here in the Cygnat.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I believe the mounting bracket that comes with most navi units are capable of such.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a radar detector in my IQ.

It has all the radar detection including two types of laser detection. I cannot tell you how many times it has saved me. I think of it as a speed reminder to slow down.

As soon as i hear it go off I mash the brake. then check my speed.

I have a lot of 25 and 30 mph streets in town and the city has speed check vans that have radar and cameras that change location's every day, not to mention the traffic lights, and police vehicles. Hey lets face it some times I may have been speeding and may be not paying attention to the speed on the street or i missed the posted speed limit.

I have a Detector in the IQ, But the one in my IQ is not hidden, Yet.

I did hide the one in my Miata.

I will have to find out what the power draw on my detector is, cause i would like to use both the detector and my garmin off the same power port. Maybe i should check power draw on both. I like the idea of wiring it in to spare fuse in the fuse box

Here how i did it;
There are a few different ways to do this, depending on the location of detector you want. In my miata, I have it almost down the middle of the dash maybe slightly to the passenger side, same as in the IQ, but how I hid my wire is I wired a receptacle power port into the back of the power port like the one on the IQ in front of the shifter, then i ran the wiring under the dash toward the passenger side, then up along the corner edge of the dash, and poked the wire down into where the front windshield meets the dash so the wire is hidden by the edge of the dash and let just the connector stick out. I also stuck some velcro on the bottom of my detector but did not peel & stick it to the dash, just stuck it to the detector, i did not want the glue on the dash but wanted a little cushion to keep the noise down.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Checking my cruise installation, I believe this would be the wire that you want to tap into for a auto on/off. It is located at the bottom left A pillar behind the black plastic cover. Look at my cruise in the DIY for more pictures. But here is the one..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts