Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering,which tends to get a wee bit dangerous for me to do.i reall dont have any experience with such fancy new cars with usb and such,my cube had aux in and thats it and never used it,i was wondering,i have a brand new external harddrive that i would like to completely load up with MANTY THOUSANDS OF SONGS,if thats even possible,and i was wondering if there is a specific cable that can be used to listen to the music on the external hardrive in the IQ.or the cable that came with it to plug into the computer,can it be used cuzz it is a usb connection,imjust a janitor and dont mind asking for help.I AM JUST 1 MAN.
thanks,PEACE.
Brent.:p

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
If they are MP3 files the head unit can play them. As far as an external hard drive, how is it powered? Do you need to use a converter? Keep in mind that the head unit will read the file system as it would on your computer, with that many songs it would take a while to find a specific one.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are MP3 files the head unit can play them. As far as an external hard drive, how is it powered? Do you need to use a converter? Keep in mind that the head unit will read the file system as it would on your computer, with that many songs it would take a while to find a specific one.
oh dear,sure i guess they could all be mp3,isnt it just powerd by the 1 cable it comes with that plugs into the usb jack on a hardrive,gee its still in the box,i just mught have to have a gander.i was hoping to put thousands of songs on it and mount it atop my head unit with the chord that came with it that has a usb connection,or is it not that easy.is anything easy/

·
Registered
536 Posts
very intersting idea, so i try it.
i take an HDD powered by USB cord and with MP3 on it, and .... nothing?!
my audio /Gps TNS510 don't recognise HDD ( led on it blinking but not seen on screen)
may be your audio system can do it :confused:

·
Registered
304 Posts
You need to be aware - The audio system will only read FAT32 formatting. If it is NTFS or GPT done on a Mac, it worn't play...

Gonna try this with a little 2.5" drive... I hope there is enough power on the USB port...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY MICKY, i actually thought of you and your technical wizadry after thinking more on this,i do not have a MAC,just a pc,and my bare bones stock headunit plays MP3,AND ,WMA.all my music is on WMA,so i thought it would be as simple as loading the little external hard drive i got with A TON of music in either of those formats plugg it in to the USB,and im set.the head unit of course has all the functions to shuffle the music and such,and i thought the sleek little external harddrive would look pretty darn cool mounted to the top of my head unit.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE,so i plugged it in to MY IQ,man i love that little car,and it powered up nice couple cool little led lights which looks cool,and when i chose the usb selection on head unit it read for maybe 5 seconds and then said,NO SONGS,that to me is a step in the right direction.i went and got myself all excited now.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE,so i plugged it in to MY IQ,man i love that little car,and it powered up nice couple cool little led lights which looks cool,and when i chose the usb selection on head unit it read for maybe 5 seconds and then said,NO SONGS,that to me is a step in the right direction.i went and got myself all excited now.
this is the unit.500gigs. Blue Rectangle Gadget Electric blue Wood

·
Registered
304 Posts
The drive needs to be formatted a special way.
It needs to be FAT32.
Plug it into your computer, right-click the drive, choose properties.
It will say what format it is, it needs to be FAT32...

I am gonna try this tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remember - If you re-format a drive you will lose the data.
no worries,it is brandnew so i wouldnt think there would be any data on it.now just to get the audio of my PC working so i can hear whats goin on to the drive,allways something.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Watching this with interest...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im off at 930pm toonight a ouple hours early so when i arrive home i will try and throwm an album on just to c what happens,yes ,thanks micky,in that format,then to find a great place to mount it that is both inconspicuous and visible at the same time,i would love to put it up top my head unit,then i have the problem with the wire,and IM SCARED to start poppin pieces off to run the wire hidden.ohhh if you were only close TAZ,a couple beers and a quick mod.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
im off at 930pm toonight a ouple hours early so when i arrive home i will try and throwm an album on just to c what happens,yes ,thanks micky,in that format,then to find a great place to mount it that is both inconspicuous and visible at the same time,i would love to put it up top my head unit,then i have the problem with the wire,and IM SCARED to start poppin pieces off to run the wire hidden.ohhh if you were only close TAZ,a couple beers and a quick mod.
Dude! I swear, grab and pull. That's all there is to it. Take out the triangle piece first, then the piece covering the headunit.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HA,IM NOT FAMILLIAR WITH THAT MAN,should i be,no offence,but to me IT LOOKS like he may stink a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember - If you re-format a drive you will lose the data.
UPDATE,booooo to me,okay micky,first i went to windows media audio,yes old school but thats all i know and thats where my music is,anyway,whenever i chose to sync and connect a device it has allways recognized it,so i did so before anything with the external HD,no recognition,so i found the drive on my computer,right clicked,and went to properties,click,i got to a pie graph area which did show,FILE SYSTEMS NTFS,wich you couldnt change by clicking directly on it,so i went to a search bar above that said external hardrive,erased that and added,FAT 32,PERFORMED TASK and the file system did not change,stillNTFS.i did try to connect it again after i chose sync device on WMA,PLUGGED IT IN,and again was not recognized,and thats the extent of my skill level,VERY LOW,but thanks anyway for your instruction,boooo to me.i thou8ght it was a cool idea,UNLESS you still have a simple idea and the time to direct me.cheers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ha ha! Works for me!

Like I told you the drive needs to be formatted FAT32.

I used a 16gb SSD drive I had laying around, formatted it FAT32 and then copied both my flash drives filled with favorite songs to it. Songs are in folders to keep them organized, but now I have a single device I can leave in the center compartment.

In order to re-format the drive follow these instructions:

Insert the device into your computer
Copy/backup the contents to your computer somewhere
Right click the device and choose Format
When the Format dialog comes up, choose FAT32 from the drop down list
Click Start
When it is done copy your music to the device

Easy huh?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Curious to find out if the head unit has any trouble with my mp3 collection of 24,000+ files on a 600gb drive. Gonna try it later.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought my flash drives were bad at first, then I read the manual.
Amazing what happens when you RTFM...

·
Registered
584 Posts
One thing I hate about mp3 players (cars included) is that they read files based upon disk order rather than names. I found and use this to correct that. DriveSort

1 - 20 of 31 Posts