Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I had not started a thread on the HAOLEBUILT II iQ. I'll be posting the mods in the order they were installed since the car was brought home new.

I've had a blast building the car and I hope you enjoy the thread...

First off, the name HAOLEBUILT, I feel more at home in the Hawaiian Islands even though I am not Hawaiian. The Hawaiian word for white guy is Haole. Hence the name HAOLEBUILT. The iQ is my second build with this name so it's HAOLEBUILT II.

Here is the first HAOLEBUILT, my 2006 Scion xB.

This is how it appeared right before I sold it in July of 2011...

I had so much fun building this xB and it did well at shows receiving over 80 trophies. I miss it quite a bit but I only have room for four cars at my house so one had to go to make room for the iQ.

I purchased my iQ from Scion of Glendora. I have known the sales manager there for a while and he gave me a great deal. I bought the iQ with the Navigation head unit, fog lights, wing and floor mats.

Here are Hector, Mike and myself the night I bought the iQ...

A proud new owner...

Detailed and with a full tank of gas ready for the ride home...

Seven miles on the odometer...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first night home with my new iQ...

Plenty of room in the garage for the iQ...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing I did to the iQ was to have clear bra installed to protect the paint. A trip down the coast to Clear Pro and Lance did a great job installing the 3M paint protection film. There were no patterns available at the time so all the work was done freehand. A very impressive job and it provided the protection from rock chips that I wanted.

They do mobile calls as well.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It was now time to lend out the iQ to aftermarket companies so they could measure for parts. First on the list was Tanabe USA. James and Danh fitted the iQ for a front strut bar, frame brace and an exhaust. They installed a set of NF-210 lowering springs to reduce the wheel gap.

The strut bar and frame brace would go into production at this point and be ready some months later.

The iQ back home with my 1982 Toyota Pickup.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next stop was San Diego to see MGP Caliper Covers. My buddies Andy and Rodney made the trip with me so we could say hello to old friends and try out some great eating places.

The iQ being fitted for MGP Caliper Covers. Angel is hard at work...

The owner Mike is also a hands on kind of guy...

Even at a height of 6'4" Mike was able to fit in the iQ and take it for a test drive.

Many thanks to the great guys at MGP Caliper Covers for the opportunity to provide R&D with the iQ. The covers would arrive later just in time to appear on TV in San Diego...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next stop on the trip was Hoddad's burgers. Amazing food! If you're ever in San Diego you have to try it out.

After an amazing lunch it was on to see our friends at AutoFashion in San Diego. It's a toy store for car enthusiasts. So much good Japanese stuff to drool over.

After a nice visit it was time to head back to Orange County and drop in on Shin and the guys at Air-Runner Inc to talk about the air suspension for the iQ.

Talks went well and the installation will be soon. The kit has to be ordered from Japan and we will express delivery so it can be installed in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time to remove the stock antenna and add a shark fin antenna from Beat-Sonic USA. Eric and the guys hooked me up with a color matched shark fin that was so easy to install it only took me 15 minutes.

Thank you Beat-Sonic, I think it looks much better this way.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next modification is from Air-Runner / ACC International. Shin and Osam did an amazing job on the air suspension installation. The kit is designed specifically for the iQ and is the best quality air suspension system I've ever used.

Installation of the air tank, compressor and air lines where the back seat used to be.

Air lines for the paddles...

The paddles...

The Dakota Digital gauges...

Back home from Air-Runner, the iQ at full lift...

And full drop...

The rear bags...

The front struts...

The original installation of the air tank and compressor. (it was moved later)

Thank you Shin and Osam for the great work on the Air-Runner air suspension system and Dakota Digital gauges.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very Sweet!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next stop on the adventure was FIVE:AD / Five Axis in Huntington Beach for wheels and body kit.

The kit needed to be painted so I took all the parts plus a few extras from the iQ to the great guys at Imperial Body Shop in La Habra. They have done all my paint work for the past six years, always excellent workmanship.

The kit was done in a few weeks and with my tires from Toyo it was time to install the body kit and wheels. My buddy Rodney came over and we got too it. Super easy to install, everything is a perfect fit.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tire Sponsor is Toyo. I went to their warehouse to pick up the tires and was amazed at how big it is. Over one million square feet of tires. I've always like the smell of new tires but this was overwhelming to say the least. Super nice guys.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Carbon Disulfide, Benzene, and Carbon Black. All attributable to; increased risk of heart disease, carcinogen, and serious respiratory effects....
Well yes, there is that....add it to the long list of other lovely automotive aromas.

Taz, what size tires are those (I can almost make it out)? Do they fit okay, or do your new wheels help out w/ that size?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well yes, there is that....add it to the long list of other lovely automotive aromas.

Taz, what size tires are those (I can almost make it out)? Do they fit okay, or do your new wheels help out w/ that size?
They are 215/40/18. I changed them out a week later for 213/35/18 to help with the wheel well clearance. I would really like to have had a 205/30/18 but they don't make them in that size.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I removed the side mirrors and installed some Japanese side mirror lights. They contain turn signal, entry lights and daytime running lights.

The finished install,

Courtesy puddle lights

Turn signal

Daytime running lights

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really needed some window tint so my buddy Eugene from X'quisite Designs hooked me up with 5% on the back and 20% on the sides. I will be changing the sides out to 5% in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time to upgrade the lighting so I headed over to see my buddy Dale at O-NEX. He hooked me up with some 6K HID headlights and 3K yellow HID fog lights.

I installed them in no time at all. An easy and worthwhile upgrade to be sure.

Dale also gave me some LED string lights that I mounted around the headlamp housing. They are connected to the running lights. I removed the side running light amber bulbs.

The increased visibility is amazing.

Many thanks to Dale at O-NEX.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DC Sports was next on the list. They used my iQ for the R&D on a short ram air intake. It took about four months to develop and produce but the prototype is on my iQ now. Production for mass sales is underway and should be on the market by October 2012.

With the intake installed it was time to dyno the car.

An increase of about five horsepower and the sound is really nice too.

They have finished the exhaust for the iQ and it will be test fitted next week.

Many thanks to Jimmy, Andy and William at DC Sports for all the cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to install a sunroof in the iQ and I talked to several companies about it. None of the companies would install the in roof type I wanted. I knew that Mike Vu had one installed on the MV SEMA iQ and I went to talk to him. He hooked me up with the guys at Classic Soft Trim and Signature Sunroofs. They agreed to do the type of installation I wanted and it turned out great! They said it was way more work than they expected but they didn't give up and the results speak for themselves...

1 - 20 of 143 Posts