Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I use the hand free every single person I talk to says the voice quality is extremely poor. My cell phone is crystal clear on other hands free devices. I have a parrot ck in my 4runner and the voice quality is fine. I've connected other cell phones and no improvement. Anyone have similar problems? Wondering if i have a defective mic or if it is just low quality. The reception on my end is excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Hey RJG,i havent used mine a ton but my better half tells me sound quality is good,but it does sound like im on speakerphone.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
My quality is fine, unless I'm driving on the freeway. I've had several people tell me they were having trouble hearing me when my speed was above 60 mph. I think the background noise inside the cabin is causing issues with the Bluetooth mic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine seems to work well in all situations.. I use it quite often. if people do complain I realize my arm is blocking line of sight to the mic. I move and it is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
For those who are not having issues with the Bluetooth mic, where do you have it mounted?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
it was in place when i picked up the car,on the steering column.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that the Bluetooth is a little sketchy compared to our Sequoia. I sound hallow and raspy (?) to those I am talking to. Maybe moving the mic would help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my local dealer look at the mic quality situation. There is a volume adjustment that appears at the bottom of the display screen when you dial a phone number. This adjustment controls the mic volume only. It should be set between 18 and 22. Setting the volume at this level stopped my voice from cutting in and out and folks on the receiving end could understand me much better. However, the quality isn't even close to other hands free units I've used. My brother in law's Prius is much clearer. I think Scion is using a cheap mic. Also one of the technicians speculated that the mic may not be properly matched to such a small car. That the small interior creates feedback accounting for the "hollow, tinny" sound.

If I deleted complaining clients from my Facebook, they would teach me a lesson by going elsewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correction to my previous post. Contrary to what the dealer technician told me, the volume control adjusts the incoming call volume, not mic volume. Apparently feedback from the incoming voice can cause mic problems. I think I have a defective mic. The dealer is making an appointment for a technician from Toyota to look at the problem. My voice is pretty scrambled at 55 mph with windows up.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I usually only use mine at 40 or below but I've never had anyone complain about quality. I asked and they generally say it just sounds like speakerphone.

My mic is mounted on the console, right in front of the window for the gauges

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe taz posted a fix to this somewhere on here. The problem seemed to be that its noise that is heard from the outside that makes it scratchy sounding. IIRC he said something along the lines of posting it up in the upper eft of the windshield where there is a "dead zone" of noise. Im tempted to try this just not sure yet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine is located in the speed/tach cluster. So I don' think location shouldbe a problem??
That is the default factory location, at least on the 2012 models. Taz's solution is based on the idea that that area is not a dead zone but very active with unwanted sound. The upper left hand corner of the windshield is said to be a dead zone for unwanted sound. I am inclined to agree. Most cars I have been in have the mic's up near the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is the default factory location, at least on the 2012 models. Taz's solution is based on the idea that that area is not a dead zone but very active with unwanted sound. The upper left hand corner of the windshield is said to be a dead zone for unwanted sound. I am inclined to agree. Most cars I have been in have the mic's up near the top of the windshield.
I can accept that theory. It looks like I have another IQ Project:) I will post the results.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I haven't had any complaints with my mic, maybe they are putting better ones in the 2013's.

I can't find ANY instructions for the Panasonic system and wondering how I get phone numbers in the system when I push the "Call" button? (It looks like I can present numbers in slots 1-5 but I can't fingure it out.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts