Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. I just traded my Smart convertible for an iQ. I still needed a small car to fit 4 motorcycles (I own 2 of them) and 1 car in my one parking space and the iQ is still just right. So, goodbye Smart, hello iQ! Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
110 Posts
you made the right choice! congrats on picking up an iQ

now that I see a pic of both cars together....the iQ looks way better than the Smart car.

What do you like/dislike about the iQ? and how about the Smart car?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! To be honest, it was a give and take thing. For example, I gave up the Smart's 41MPG for the iQ's 37MPG, but then I can use 87 octane instead of the Smart's 91 minimum octane recommended. I save about $300-$400 per year in gas by switching to the iQ. The iQ is 14" longer than my Smart. It sticks out a little more than I'd like it to but it'll do. My Smart was a convertible. In San Diego, you NEED a convertible to soak up the sun! ;-) This is SoCal! But after all of the considerations, the iQ wins hands down. Take it from me, a (previous) Smart car owner. I have more things to say between the two. But I'll save it for another thread.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks! To be honest, it was a give and take thing. For example, I gave up the Smart's 41MPG for the iQ's 37MPG, but then I can use 87 octane instead of the Smart's 91 minimum octane recommended. I save about $300-$400 per year in gas by switching to the iQ. The iQ is 14" longer than my Smart. It sticks out a little more than I'd like it to but it'll do. My Smart was a convertible. In San Diego, you NEED a convertible to soak up the sun! ;-) This is SoCal! But after all of the considerations, the iQ wins hands down. Take it from me, a (previous) Smart car owner. I have more things to say between the two. But I'll save it for another thread.
I heard Scion has plans for a Scion iQ convertible to compete with the Fiat 500 convertible. You might be in luck soon enough!!! Consider trading in your current Scion iQ once the convertible iQ variant becomes available :)

congratulations on the iQ dude, White iQ FTW!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noooo!!! LOL Not another wheeling and dealing with a car salemen LOL! I understood the Scion Pure Pricing. No haggling. What I had to haggle with is the trade-in value for my Smart. I finally got a good deal (better than what CarMax was asking for) and so I went with the dealership that offered it. A convertible (again) would be nice.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'm enjoying the new ride. Looks like this is a keeper. The Smart was one of those cars that quickly became impractical to me even though it served its purpose (for a while). The iQ is the perfect replacement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
RexIQ, I owned a smart for 2 years, and enjoyed it very much.

I'm curious about your comment that the smart became impractical. In what way? And how does the iQ change that?

Nice color. I'm likely to be getting a white one also by the New Year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dave. I do love the Smart, and still do. But I just couldn't get used to the rocking back and forth effect of the transmission. When coming to a large, major intersection and it's my turn to go through or turn left, in the middle of the intersection is when the Smart loses power and shifts to the next gear. The time it takes to shift from one gear to the next is too long even at manual (using the paddle shifters or +/- on the lever). I have no power and I'm like a sitting duck just coasting in the middle of the intersection waiting for the next gear to come up. The iQ's CVT takes care of that with one continuous motion. I do miss the Smart's 39 (real world) MPG. I'm getting about 33MPG right now (since it's just new -- I heard it gets better).

Also, there have been quite a few times when it would have been nice to include 2 more of my motorcycle friends at various events when the weather or driving conditions call for "caging" it. The iQ's backseat takes care of that :) I do miss my Smart's convertible feature though. But I'm much happier with the iQ.

Here are more reasons from one of my posts taken from another thread:

1. I can use 87 octane again. The Smart demanded 91 or better.
2. I can take 2 more passengers.
3. It's still small enough to fit my 2 motorbikes, my roommates 2 motorbikes, and this iQ in one parking space without having to move any vehicle in order to get one out.
4. The stock Pioneer head with Bluetooth is better than the Smart's radio.
5. The CVT engine is better than the Smart's assisted manual transmission, better response.
6. More horsepower than the Smart.
7. More airbags.
8. Smoother ride, less stiffthan the Smart.
9. More dealer support.
10. It still has all of the safety features like TRAC, ABS, VSC, etc. OMG!
11. The new car smell on the Smart has dissipated... LOL!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Agreed with almost all you said. I almost never used Premium fuel in my smart. Regular was OK in my book. The transmission was/is horrible and I was not an apologist for it.

The number one reason I sold the smart was that I had no confidence the brand would survive. Didn't want to have a Yugo or Saab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts