Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Days ago I have topped up the fuel tank at my toyota iq 2009 , 1000cc and even when they were topping it up, gas was leaking (cannot remember if the pump stopped filling and he continued). After that , I have noticed that whenever I am topping up ,gas is leaking from this small black pipe (the upper one) . I will check it with my mechanic at monday that he is available at any chance or ideas what that might be? This is a photo from below. and towards the fuel cap (rear left)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The small black hose is the vent hose that goes to the charcoal canister. It would seem that it's been overfilled and the canister is now full of fuel. You will need to remove and replace it with a new one. :(

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,
I dont have an engine light on , or low mileage tbh so I left the evap system untouched for now. Only on filling the tank i have this issue. I will change the clutch soon to avoid those vibrations and solve the first main issue that I have and tell them to check the canister and the fuel system as well. It is like I am losing so much range.
I went to a toyota official garage though and they told me the small pipe is the overfilling pipe and It is normal to throw out the fuel when maxxed out due to gas station mistake

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe this is the vent hose you have in the picture. Part number is 77404-74030 and the MSRP is about $60 USD.

White Black Organism Handwriting Font

Part number for the Scion iQ canister is 77706-74010 with an MSRP of about $95 USD. I would guess the Toyota version would be approximately the same amount. ;)

I would guess that if the evap hose/system was compromised or not connected, the check engine light would be on and a few codes set. The fact that fuel is leaking out worries me as the system is supposed to be closed. ;)

You can see how the charcoal canister is connected to the top of the fuel tank. ;)
White Product Organism Font Auto part

Probably one of the best things you can do is to hook up a bi-directional scan tool and a smoke machine and see if the system is working correctly. A smoke machine should easily find any cracks or system compromises in the evap system. ;)

This is what the charcoal canister should look like. ;)
Camera accessory Auto part Automotive lighting Cylinder Automotive exterior

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys thanx so much for the answers I am gonna check it out soon . I will leave the car for a clutch replacement and calibration of driver side mirror so I will tell them to check it out. Thanx. all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts