Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up iQs! Love the new car. 2,600+ smiles already.

Has anybody gone past 250 miles on a tank? I zero the counter when I fill up. The gas empty indicator starts blinking at about 200 miles. I immediately get gas thinking I'm running low. I'm able to put only 6 gallons in the tank before the pump clicks indicating I can't put anymore. That means there is about 2.4 gallons left in the tank. Heck, I could go for another 70 miles before I run completely empty (not that I would)! What do you notice about the blinking gas gauge when you start to run (kind of) empty? It think it blinks way too early.

Discuss.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The blinking starts really early and there is no solution!
My iQ (2009) has a changed tank, but this is an old story - the 2012 serie and the US-version is improved.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the digital fuel gauge. Mine starts blinking when I have about two gallons left. I prefer a needle so I can judge better than counting the number of lighted bars on the gauge.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the digital fuel gauge. Mine starts blinking when I have about two gallons left. I prefer a needle so I can judge better than counting the number of lighted bars on the gauge.
I totally agree with you. The indicator blinks once it hit the last bar with about 2 gallons left.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine starts blinking with 1.3 gallons remaining. That's assuming it's an 8.5 gallon tank, as advertised.

I always fill slowly. Let it click off. Wait 15 seconds. Fill slowly to the next click off. Stop.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great. Thanks everyone. I'm not alone. For most of us, it starts blinking early and when we fill up right then, we can only put about 6 gallons before the pump clicks to stop meaning there's about 2 gallons left. It does blink early.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the Flat Under-floor Fuel Tank

The usual place for a car’s fuel tank is beneath the rear seats, but in the compact interior of the iQ this would make it impossible seats. The solution was to create a flat fuel tank, positioned beneath the vehicle floor.
This was no simple task, requiring a number of fundamental engineering challenges to be met. Traditionally a flat fuel tank has been considered too difficult to design, because of the variance in fuel level that would occur, for example when the vehicle is parked on a slope.

A horizontal fuel pump was successfully developed for the “new” tank, and the fuel level indicators were positioned in the center of the tank to ensure a consistently accurate read-out is given. But the tank is flat, just 120mm tall. And this causes the indicator to flash too early.

·
Registered
56 Posts
my manual talks about the fact that 2.5 gals is the threshold for precise measurement in the tank. that is when mine starts blinking as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. So, I did go past 200 miles (I know, I know, I get worried when I see that last bar flashing right at me.) I went to a little over 250 miles before I filled up. I was able to put only 7.4 gallons. That means, I still have 1 gallon left! I'm sure I can go up to 300 miles before filling up but I wouldn't push it. I'm a worry-wart! ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
just for information, you never never had empty tank !!! it can destroy your catalytic !
you can't push or pull the car with empty tank, only call dealer for repair

if you that, you can broke catalytic and it must be replace... for a lot of $$$$ (€€€ here)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just for information, you never never had empty tank !!! it can destroy your catalytic !
you can't push or pull the car with empty tank, only call dealer for repair

if you that, you can broke catalytic and it must be replace... for a lot of $$$$ (€€€ here)
When I started driving at 16 years old, my father ingrained that my mind and to this day, I remember it. It's a good practice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the Flat Under-floor Fuel Tank

The usual place for a car’s fuel tank is beneath the rear seats, but in the compact interior of the iQ this would make it impossible seats. The solution was to create a flat fuel tank, positioned beneath the vehicle floor.
This was no simple task, requiring a number of fundamental engineering challenges to be met. Traditionally a flat fuel tank has been considered too difficult to design, because of the variance in fuel level that would occur, for example when the vehicle is parked on a slope.

A horizontal fuel pump was successfully developed for the “new” tank, and the fuel level indicators were positioned in the center of the tank to ensure a consistently accurate read-out is given. But the tank is flat, just 120mm tall. And this causes the indicator to flash too early.

that makes perfect sense but i had no idea that the car had a flat fuel tank!

thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had 2.2 gallons left in my tank when last fuel indicator light started to flash.

Running your tank low or empty can heat up or burn up your fuel pump, as it is cooled by the fuel it is in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had 2.2 gallons left in my tank when last fuel indicator light started to flash.

Running your tank low or empty can heat up or burn up your fuel pump, as it is cooled by the fuel it is in.
I learned that just last year when my fuel pump went and the mechanic interrogated me on it lol Now, at the least i have 1/4 tank of car in my car. I know tons of people that run their cars till the gas light comes on and even some that push it far beyond that!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Good to know that it's not just my iQ. Blinking at 6 gallons is annoying me. I'm not driving pass 250 on a blinking light and last night, it was blinking at 200 ugh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts