Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought to myself, self, wouldn't it be great to steam audio from the internet in my iQ? Yes, self, that would be great. And I further thought, wouldn't it be cool to be able to watch Netflix in the iQ? And wouldn't it really be cool to be able to peruse iq-forums.com from the iQ and on a bigger screen than my Droid Razr? Hell yes that would be great!

I rooted my Razr and now use it as a wifi hot spot (without paying Verizon another $30 per month) and connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the internet through the Razr. Now I can stream music, watch Netflix, check my email, browse websites, use Google Maps, play Angry Birds and do my Facebooking on a 10.1 inch screen!!!!!

I made the stand out of two microphone goosenecks, and a base. I used a mic clip and modded it to allow me to make brackets to hold the backing plate I made out of some spare plastic sheet. I'll be painting all the parts black but I have a show in the morning and ran out of time. Easy to make. My wife can also use the Tab, it pivots towards her if she wants to access the internet while I'm driving.

Now, I would never do any of those things while driving of course and you shouldn't either. But I can do it whenever I want while parked.

I have Pandora for streaming music and Google Play Music (still uploading close to 13,000 songs) and the 3.5 mm connection actually sounds better than the USB connected iPod.

Oh happy days!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cool. I use my iPad as a nav computer all the time.
I already have an 8Gb stick into the USB port, so my music is covered.
I am still searching for the right mount, not sure where I wanna put the thing.
I like your idea, but I think I will get a standard iPad mount that will go into the cup holder...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I use my iPad as a nav computer all the time.
I already have an 8Gb stick into the USB port, so my music is covered.
I am still searching for the right mount, not sure where I wanna put the thing.
I like your idea, but I think I will get a standard iPad mount that will go into the cup holder...
I have a 250gb iPod that I usually use for music but I thought this had more of a cool factor. =) A friend of mine has his iPad installed instead of a head unit. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
k,i may be able to talk now,how the heck have you managed to fasten it to the floor you crafty devil?AND,is it fastened to the floor with enough sturdiness to grab the tablet and reposition it.your brain works very differently than much of the population.to great benefit of course.IM SUCH A CAR MOD VIRGIN.i researched this little beutty for a few years,toyota iq of course,and allways recall them saying what an engineering marvel this car is to have such a clever, functionall,tiny interior and here you go stuffin ALL SORTS of extra shi,,,ooops,family friendly brent,STUFF allso even more cleverly than THE PROS.who are you surfcitylocal?LOL.if you ever find yourself stuck for ideas on WHAT ELSE you may do to your little buggy,well dont ask me,i just cant help ya.enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also use my phone as a hot spot while in the car (for free with T-Mobile!). I plug in my iPad to the USB, activate Pandora so that it plays through the head unit, and then I tuck the iPad in the storage tray underneath the passenger seat. A mount would be cool, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. Looks cool, though!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Don't be surprised of version finds out you are using your phone for a wifi hit spot. I have some friends that did the same thing and they were told to stop it or their service would be stopped. After all these are smart phones. And it is a two way street as far as usage information.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The goose necks are mounted to the floor by a microphone stand base. It is secured to the floorpan with three screws and is plenty strong. The problem I found this morning is the goose necks are a bit flimsy when the car is in motion. The freeway on ramp caused the tablet to shift to the right. I will work on a way to make it more sturdy later.

There is a stand / mount on the market that connects to the bolt on the passenger seat rail, I like to make my own stuff when I can. Just need a few more tweaks on this idea. My wife will be able to ride in the passenger seat and use the Tab is she wants to.

As far as Verizon cutting me off, I've been rooted and using my Droid phones as hot spots for about three years now with no problems with the cellular carrier. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan and until they tell me otherwise, I consider unlimited to mean unlimited. =)

This message is being sent from my laptop at a car show in L.A. using my Razr as a hot spot. =)

Thanks for the kind words Brent, stay tuned more cool stuff coming soon.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't happy with the performance of the stand while driving the iQ. It has a tendency to sway with the turns and braking. I used some 3/4" PVC pipe, a cap and a washer I made out of some spare plastic to build a support for the lower part of the goose neck. It doesn't look as smooth and cool as just the goose neck but it does the job. No more swaying side to side and forward when braking.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm already on the 4G network with unlimited data on Verizon. If they do indeed discontinue all unlimited data plans, Sprint here I come.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts