Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well drove the iQ on a long trip to Chicago and back.
On the way back the gauge was at 2/6th of a tank. Then all of a sudden it started flashing one bar !
I was expecting it to go down to one bar and then start flashing when it got to a gallon or so ?
Needless to say the next stop I went to took 7.077 of gas.
And it holds 8.5g so I had about 1.4g left ! Or about 49.56 miles till dry..

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
According to Cracked, fuel gauges are all lying bastards
8 Gadgets That Lie to You Every Day | Cracked.com

The fact the iQ has a broad, shallow tank meant to squeeze into the confined space available to it probably doesn't help with accuracy.

That floater is touching bottom but there's still quite a bit of gas spread out over the relatively broad tank, more than enough to get a gas-sipper like the iQ across town.

Still, best not to chance it. Always head for the gas station as soon as it starts reading low.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Amen Cliffjumper ! When my fuel guage starts flashing at me I filler up.....Theres no since in playing around, besides who likes a flasher ? Sorry, I could'nt resist that one..................

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree on getting gas when it starts flashing.
But I went from two bars to a flashing bar.
That I don't like.
Going from two to one and then start flashing would be the correct order.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So far mine has stared flashing with a little over 6gal used. I think a safe rule of thumb would be when the light starts flashing check your current average MPG and that's how far you have to find a gas station. Most likely you have more but even though our iQ is small I don't want to be pushing it. LOL!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I almost drove my IQ to the end kept a gas can for backup. I did not run out of gas before i decided to fill up.
Owner Manual mention something about 1.5 gallons after gauge starts to blink. Now i know my limit is around 50 miles after gauge starts to blink.

Tank topped off:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope you didn't keep adding fuel after it clicked off the first time. This can fill up the tube down to the tank and may give you a extra gallon. But it can cause serious problems with the evap system. By flooding the charcoal canister with raw fuel.
One or two click to round off your purchase is OK. But if you fill it to the top where the gas cap is, you are asking for trouble. It also will not allow expansion of the fuel on warm/hot days.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nothing surprises me when it comes to fuel gauges. On the iQ, once anything starts flashing I'm in for fuel...period.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I hope you didn't keep adding fuel after it clicked off the first time. This can fill up the tube down to the tank and may give you a extra gallon. But it can cause serious problems with the evap system. By flooding the charcoal canister with raw fuel.
One or two click to round off your purchase is OK. But if you fill it to the top where the gas cap is, you are asking for trouble. It also will not allow expansion of the fuel on warm/hot days.
I did not fill tank until gas flowed out the top but i did slow fill until second click off. I'm not sure where the charcoal canister is located but i hope the hose is higher then the tank and filler tube.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts