Scion IQ Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I tested my 2013 iQ (16,000) miles and I'm not getting a clunk but do hear a slight metallic scrapping noise from one of the tires that doesn't change when I hit the brakes so I'll be taking the wheels off to inspect that. (You can only hear the noise with the windows down so it's not very loud.)

I hear you all about Toyota mechanics. The last time I got my oil changed in my Tacoma the knucklehead must've replaced the 14mm bolt with the impact wretch because it was torqued to about 100! (Since then, I've decided to do all of my changes myself in the garage.)

A co-worker had his older Tacoma lose the engine so he bought a new one ($6,000) and the dealership swapped it out and he must've had to go back 6 times to get problems worked out. (Like them putting the thermostat in upside down causing it to overheat...idiots)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Now that I've driven quite a few miles since shimming up those little plastic push clips that basically secure
all of our plastic fender liners, plastic shrouds, and other plastic body parts to the car.....I no longer have that
big clunking sound when hitting ruts and bumps in the road like I used to....those clips tend to loosen up over
time so it's well worth it to better secure them to take all unwanted movement out of the various body parts
making for a quieter overall ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this forum. My Q has the same problem. Started at about 3,000 miles. Keep having to take it to the dealership. The first two times, they just tightened the strut, which lasted about 3 weeks each time. The third time, they took the strut out and reassembled everything. That lasted about a year, now the noise is back. I hate taking it to the dealership, it takes them days to fix anything, so you're without a car for that time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just started having this problem at 34,000.

What is the consensus on the best fix? Did securing all those loose clips work as a long term solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, i had the exact same problem in my 2009 Toyota IQ. Banging/knocking sound coming from the front left wheel area whenever i turned right and went over some rough road. Sounded like the shock absorber coming loose and banging around. I took it in initially to my Toyota dealer and they simply tightened the strut mount. This lasted for about 1 to 2 weeks. Then the noise returned. Was out one night in the rain and noticed the front right wheel was easily spinning under light acceleration, was not sure if the strut mount had anything to do with it ? Anyway felt dangerous and immediately took it back again and they replaced both strut mounts saying the left one had failed and the one on the right was on its way out as well. Cost, just under 500 euro. Car is back on the road and absolutely no noise from the front. Feels brand new again. Hope this helps. Car has 70k km on the clock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi ppl,

I have the same sound on my IQ 2009 with approximately 50K km. It rattles a lot on bumpy road and when the bump is slightly bigger it feels like a direct hit to the chases. It started with a very low sound in the left front side and in a period of few weeks it went to the real hard bump sound.

Yesterday I went to my mechanic and we did found that the top bolt on the left front was loose. We have tightened it and added "tight lock" but unfortunately the sound is not gone... :( It sounds even worse then before. I am going for a new session ASAP...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news! It turned out we just forgot to tighten another bolt. So, 100% my sound was because of the top bolt on the strut !

Scary ! ! ! Anyway, if you get to it, just unscrew them, with car on the ground, put lock tight and screw them back. If I knew this I would have done it long time ago and spare myself several hours, a lot of nerves and some bucks as well....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 IQ with the same problem, "clunking sound when turning right". It started at about 10,00 miles, dealer tightened upper strut nut and that helped somewhat. At 13,000miles clunking got worse, dealer could not find anything wrong. Dealer told me there is nothing wrong with my car, I have put up with the "clunk" for another 14,000 miles. Just for fun I "Googled" "clunking when turning right", up came this site. Now I can go back to dealer and tell them how fix the problem.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I believe that the "clunking" noise in the front end when hitting bumps is due to our suspension and the
plastic front end body parts loosening up over time....at least a lot of it anyway? The fenders and front
fascia are held on basically by a kind of clips....My opinion anyway????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should've posted this awhile ago to let everyone know, but 4 months ago I actually got my dealer to replace the entire strut under warranty and it fixed the problem. I had to do ALOT of complaining and whining and even had to risk a $110 dollar fee if they determined a fix did not count under the warranty. They also tried to stall me for time because I was about 1,000 miles from the warranty from being up.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I had to fight for it, but getting them to just replace the entire strut worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this forum when googling for help with this exact issue. 53k miles, got my breaks fixed, got the car back and a few days later the dreaded clunking/knocking. Brought it back in and was told (out of warranty) $1600 to fix everything. Got the car back without any repairs (they can't find any of the parts), but the noise stopped! That tells me that it was the loose strut nut and it got tightened properly when they put the car back together after the diagnosis. Whew. Y'all just took a huge weight off my shoulders... until the noise comes back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm at 24,000 Miles 2008 iQ with Rear Sway Bar Addon. I have a similar clunking noise. Dealer said the strut nut was not loose, and recommended replacing Front and Rear Sway Bar Links. I haven't seen anyone on here with this specific service, so please let me know if this doesn't sound right. I don't 100% trust that this dealership knows what to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You say your car has an add on rear sway bar? In the old days I used to add better sway bars to VW bugs. A common problem on units with polyurethane bushings is they would get "grabby" making noises. Was not really a problem but I used to spray liquid graphite into the joint. No more problems. Not sure if this would help, but one more thing to look for.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts