Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the last few weeks I've been hearing a clunk coming from the left front every time I turned right, loading up the left, and hit a small bump like a driveway or a crack in the road. I took it into my dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad strut. They'll replace it on Friday under warranty. Bad news/good news I guess. :cool:
Listen up all, I want to find out if this "clunk" is a more common occurrence than reported? JLStrange was first to report it.....I've been noticing the same noise on mine for the past several months, and in talking to Airbagged recently, I found out he had the same "clunk" happening on his Q. JLStrange had his strut replaced, but all Airbagged did, being the mechanic he is, jacked his up, removed the tire/wheel and fender cowling, and found that the shock nut beneath the rubber cover where the strut attaches to the frame, had worked itself loose. He used some lok-tight and then re-tightened it back up which solved the problem. As soon as the temperature in my garage gets above freezing, I will be doing the same thing to see if that is what is causing the noise in mine? If it is this same "loose nut", then I wonder how many other Q owners are experiencing this and don't realize it? JLStrange's problem may have been this loose nut and though maybe not necessary, the replacing of his whole strut would have fixed it also. SO, if anybody else out there is experiencing this "clunking" noise coming from the front when you hit a mild bump, respond to this posting and speak up so we can figure out if the the magnitude of this occurring is more prevalent than we know and if these nuts have a tendency to loosen themselves up or weren't adequately secured/tightened at the factory? I will let you know what I find out with mine.......

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
That's not a very reassuring thought that a stock nut is coming loose...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree Taz.... I've never hit hard bumps or anything that should cause it to possibly loosen up, I baby my car, but, as my past history will affirm, after 14 trips to the dealership and a rebuilt motor that requires a dropping of the whole motor assembly from the front end, maybe they did it then, maybe they didn't......but I will be finding out if we would ever get some warm weather here? My garage is flat COLD! I don't believe that the Toyota mechanics would have any reason to disassemble the strut assembly when working on the motor, but you never know? I'll post what I find.....

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Looking forward to your findings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had asked the Service Advisor how the mechanic knew it was a bad strut and he responded with, "they're experienced and just knew what it was". Not exactly a reassuring answer but typical in this 'replace-don't-diagnose age'. Probably because it's easier to get reimbursed under Warranty than real mechanical work.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had asked the Service Advisor how the mechanic knew it was a bad strut and he responded with, "they're experienced and just knew what it was". Not exactly a reassuring answer but typical in this 'replace-don't-diagnose age'. Probably because it's easier to get reimbursed under Warranty than real mechanical work.
Of the 14 trips me and my Q made to the dealership for service/repair, 6 were because they screwed something else up while attempting to fix my motor problem, so I am a little leery. Now your problem may have actually been a bad strut and not a loose bolt, that we will never know? But, before I take my Q back in to the shop, I will first eliminate the loose shock bolt possibility. I can fix that. Again, I will post what I find or what I don't find.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mistergib. not meaning to hijack this thread, but, your statement about the dealership screwing something else up got my attention. I had the same experience. I must have went back to the Service Department AT LEAST 6 times to have them correct a screw up that came about by them fixing my cold startup noise. It was body damage, steering out of whack, a plug in the belt tensioner dislodged, annoying knocking caused by a wrongly routed metal hydraulic line, a goobered-up crank seal resulting in an oil leak, wheel well splash guards left unsecured, and a completely dry coolant reservoir. Sorry...had to vent. Ended up filing a BBB complaint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have it!
Right Front.
This Clunking noise started with me at about 24,000 miles (26,800 now).

I'll check the strut this weekend.
Steve

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
These posts are exactly what I was meaning.....I, too, ignored mine for a while....until I read JLStrange's post and it got be thinking about it, then I talked with Airbagged who had the same thing and told me what he did to fix it. I figured that other people had it too, maybe lots of other people, but who had been ignoring it for a while like I did. I want to see how common this problem is? Anyway, Tuesday or Wednesday I will be checking my front end to see what I find, I will let you know, I will be checking both sides......thanks for responding.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the noise too. Took it to the dealer and they said they need to replace the left strut. Part is backhander so waiting for it. My IQ has a little over 40,000 km.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Since we are a small sampling of the total number of iQ owners out there I wonder if this will be a national fix it item? Seems to be a common problem at least with our group.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Good question.....don't know? Looks like I may be taking my Q in the shop for the 15th time? Damn! I still haven't looked under mine yet, so we'll see....
Scion should be giving you frequent flyer miles for your trips to the dealership.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dread taking mine back in....not that a strut would be hard to replace, but that they would screw something else up while fixing the strut. It sure seems to be the left front strut that's the culprit for everybody, that's where the noise comes from mine too?
hey did you ever get an answer on this situation? just curious.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, not yet....I've been waiting for the warm weather to arrive which it now has.......I plan on removing each front wheel, wheel liner, etc. to see if I
can find either something loose on the strut assembly or something that's loose body wise, it has to be one of the two. I will also be snugging/shimming
up the oem fog light bezels as they are a loose fit and tend to rattle even though they are installed correctly. I will avoid a shop visit if at all possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
awesome. I have been avoiding having toyota do anything but the usual maintenance and i have a guy who has been helping me in his shop so i can learn the ins and outs of the car. I am not much for mechanic work but i want to learn. I would rather have him look at it while i watch. and I am buying lowering springs, rear antisway bar, and front strut bar to have them all installed at the same time so i figure i can check on that while most of those things are off the car

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Our Q's front ends being all plastic, and secured using those "push-in" plastic clips allow the body parts to flex and move especially when hitting bumps in the road causing rattles and other noises such as the clunking sounds. After jacking my q up, removing the tires, fender liners, front air dams, and fog light bezels......I began shimming these loose clips where needed to better secure the body parts they were holding. My fog light bezels also needed to have velcro added to the inner tops and sides so that they had a tighter fit in the front facia. The front air dams also had too much play in them and would vibrate and rattle, so I adjusted those also. I found nothing loose or wrong with the front suspension/struts.

I took my Q out for a test ride.....BIG IMPROVEMENT!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts