Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rims were about 10 lbs heavier than the stock steelies I had on. The ride feels better with the bigger rims. The steering is less touchy, it runs straighter on its own, and bumps are less noticeable.

I will update any differences as I notice them back/forth to work this week. I'm not sure if my mpg will suffer. In some ways I think a little extra weight in the car might help.... but only time will tell.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also some additional information:

The tire size is 245/40 18. They fit fine and there are no clearance issues. Think the rim has a +40 offset. Your bolt pattern is 4x100.

This size wheel make your speedo 6% too slow. So 60 is really 63.6. I suppose 6% will have to be added whenever I'm looking at my avg mpg now as well.

Another strange thing is that my tps light did not come on yet, but I'm not sure how long it will take for the car to notice the sensors are gone.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more fun fact. When considering the weight difference I learned this from a forum somewhere.

When static mass becomes rotational mass it's 3x greater. So....

An extra 10lbs on a wheel (since it's rotational) is equal to 30lbs (static) in your car.

So... these bigger wheels are more/less equal to another 120lbs being in the car. FUN FACT

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels. You should see the TPMS light blink within 10 miles or so. If your stock wheels are in the garage or close to where you park your iQ at night, the TPMS will reset after contacting the sender units in the stock wheels. The when you drive another ten miles or so it will flash and go solid again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The TPS light came on (as surf said it would) on the way to work today.

I have noticed pros and cons of the bigger wheels so far. Acceleration is a little slower, but not much, and I'm able to coast a little further once up to speed. Braking also takes a bit more pressure during stopping.

The wheels got rid of nearly all highway "tracking" a.k.a. that side to side touchy feeling... and the car feels more glued to the road around curves.

There is more road noise, but that's probably normal with the bigger, grippier rubber touching down on the road.

My avg mpg is off since I switched in the middle of a tank of gas. I'm not sure what I'm getting at the moment. I will probably have to add about 6% to the reading since the wheels are bigger. I was getting 33 avg driving somewhat aggressively, and I'm probably at about 31 right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts