Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my soon to be brother-in-law comes home with a few "daytime" fireworks to light off for the kiddies. He had 3 parachuters that launch up really high, explode, & send a little paratrooper or alien slowly gliding to the ground. The 3rd & final one he set off aparently malfunctioned, & when it exploded sent a thick cardboard canister rocketing horizontally across the sky, & then descended with bullet speed onto my windshield. The force was great enough to not only destroy the windshield, but pop the lower plastic out of place. You can see the little red clip that's suposed to be under that black plastic part. I'm hoping I'll just be able to pop it back up into place once they take the windshield off. Here's the best part: the local Technaglass doesn't have any aftermarket windshields for our cars yet because they're too new, so they had to get a windshield directly from the dealer, but thankfully they had one at the local parts warehouse. The cost? $871.00. My comprehensive insurance deductible? $500. D'oh! Guess I won't be getting that CarID dash kit for a while. :( My brother-in-law was more shook up about it than I was, he knows my car is my 2nd baby. It was just a freak accident though, I can't really be mad at him. It could have been alot worse though, my 2 year old was outside with us watching the fireworks, what if it had hit him. It ricochet'd off the windshield & almost hit my wife, so it was pretty scary. I'm just glad no one was hurt, & a windshield is a fairly easy (albeit expensive) thing to replace. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it done, I'll keep you all posted on the progress. Let this be a warning about those fireworks though! Hope you all had a happy & safe 4th of July!

iQwindshield 2.jpg iQwindshield.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
HOLY SHIT,pardon my french.thats wild,and yes i would agree,a FREAK accident.sorry to hear bout your misshap.i myself would have been terribly distrought.BUT,i guess in the end,it is a story you can tell about this FREAK accident,and be gratefull it wasnt a kids or someones face,teeth,that impact would have been devistating.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it could have been alot worse. Although, if it had come down strategically on the roof, it would have been a good excuse to get a much desired sunroof. :)

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
yeah, it could have been alot worse. Although, if it had come down strategically on the roof, it would have been a good excuse to get a much desired sunroof. :)
PATTEND that sucker,,"The Rocketroof",,catchy eh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hard to believe cardboard could do that to glass...that thing must have been on the move.....

·
Registered
985 Posts
So sorry to hear your baby got dinged....hope repairs aren't too painful.

I had my own "episode" some months ago and the part-availability-thing bit me, too. In the end, we (me, my iQ. and the body shop) prevailed and you will, too....the whole thing will be a distant memory in no time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Funny how one cannot win the lottery ....but freak stuff like this seems to happen all the time.....you could not do that again if tried.....

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
You're right, that could have been a lot worse if it had hit a person. Glad everyone is ok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New windshield installed, & it's almost like it never happened. Oh, except for that I'm $500 poorer. :( The replacement windshield doesn't have a tint strip like I had installed on the old one, but I think I'll try installing one myself. The windshield install guys showed me how to take the rearview mirror off, & I have some left over tint from when I put one on our Suzuki SX4 a month ago. I don't feel like paying the dealership another $40 either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny how one cannot win the lottery ....but freak stuff like this seems to happen all the time.....you could not do that again if tried.....
We're going to a 4th of July party tonight, & I'm so paranoid about another mishap that we're taking the other car. With my luck I'd break another windshield or something worse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear that Dr. Nick - windshields aren't cheap. I wonder, would your house insurance cover that? My boyfriend was mowing the lawn one day and a rock flew out and hit my car (not my iQ) - dent/bare metal. I called my insurance broker and even though I had to pay a deductible of $150.00, they paid the rest which was close to a grand. Might be something to look into?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see your post above and the $500 - :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Saw this post and had to reply. My neighbor decided to buy "illegal" fireworks this year. He allowed his 6 year old son to hold a long tube that's supposed to shoot out like 6 sky rockets while you point the tube out towards the sky. Well the last sky rocket shot out from the bottom of the tube and burned the 6 year olds hand.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ow! I remember my last car's first bang-up. Heartbreaking I know.

Goes to show y'all: leave rockets to the professionals! <cough>

(and yes, I am a real rocket scientist, thank you very much).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts