Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I did the subscription to the Toyota TechInfo site and read all of the documentation, including the "New Car Features". I was reading in the body section about the methods used to reduce road noise into the cabin of the iQ and there was a description of how noise was reduced by using this "Fender Protector" in each fender well that was installed inside the fender where the front door hinges are.

It appeared you could see them when you opened your driver or passenger door and was basically a barrier into the front fender area to block the road noise. I looked at my iQ to "see" these "Fender Protectors", but my iQ didn't have them. I could see the three holes in the door jamb on each fender that retained them though.

I then went online and did some searching on an iQ parts catalog and found the fender protectors. The description called out "with NVH package". NVH being Noise, Vibration, Harshness as known in the automotive industry. Since my iQ didn't have them, I figured this was region specific, probably for Canadaian models since they seem to get the "other" stuff the U.S. iQ's don't. LOL I went ahead and ordered them just to see and installed them. They were about $38 a piece, but I do notice slightly less front road noise now.

They were easy to install, you just have to take each front wheel off and remove all of the clips from the inside fender liner. You then slide the "Fender Protector" up inside, line up the 3 clips into the 3 holes they attach to (already on the fender) and snap into place. Easy road noise reduction. :)

Here are the images of the part numbers, the fender protectors before install front and backside, inside fender before install, after install and with the door open.

So does anyone have these from the factory because my iQ certainly didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great find. I will order mine tomorrow. I rotated a couple of your pictures.
I think when I install them I will also undercoat all of the areas accessible when I do it.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Seems like it should be a standard item doesn't it? Mine doesn't have them either. Good find.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, the clips are included. Thanks for rotating the pics...I have no idea how to do that. LOL

I thought it would be a standard item...Not sure why it's described in the product guide but then doesn't have them. I looked at my old tC and xD product guides and they have them and I remember my xD having it, but it was only on the driver's side.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am going to the dealership and complain of a lot of road noise coming from the front door area. And then tell them that part if the inner fender well sound insulation is missing. And show them the pictures. Sounds to me like some cars came out if the factory without them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking it's a region specific deal....Since iqforyou has a Canadian spec iQ and it has them and now there are 3 of us in the U.S. that don't. Canadian spec vehicles also get heated mirrors, immobilizer system, auto headlamps, and probably some other stuff.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well the dealer pissed me off again. Went in and grabbed a service writer. He said he couldn't do anything till a technician looked at it. He said maybe they were left off when the accessories were put on. I said I put on all of them. So I left there pissed off again. 5star service department is going down hill again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And just as a little hint when pulling the fender liner out, at the bottom rear, where the accessory mudguards attach, there are 4 clips that screws actually screw into. Do not pull on these or you will break them. Reach behind the fender liner when you get the other clips removed, then you squeeze the two retention tabs on the back of these clips and pop them out the front.

I didn't break any, but I knew they were there. 3 on the inside of the finder liner, and one on the bottom of the fender where it meets the rocker panel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Would explain why I get so much road noise at the front bottom of the door. What did they do run out of them or just decide the us versions don't deserve them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Would explain why I get so much road noise at the front bottom of the door. What did they do run out of them or just decide the us versions don't deserve them.
Good point, then we gotta pay for them ?????????

1 - 20 of 126 Posts