1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of this info like
5 1/4 in the door
6 1/2-6 3/4 in the rear
But I don't know cutout size or well depth.
I am considering a 6.5 shallow mount sub to replace the rear drivers. does anyone know the cutoutfor the rears? here is the spec on the sub.. will they fit? it would be nice to know before I buy them.

thanks

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
image.jpg Ok here is your best bet. Take out your factory speakers and use them as a template. Get 1/2 inch starboard sold at most Home Depot, it's much better than wood in many ways!! I made adapters. To properly seat my new pioneer two ways. I also used foam baffles behind the speaker to give each speaker it's own enclosure.to top it off I put dynamat around each speaker to eliminate the chance of any vibration. Be very careful when designing your adapters for the doors because the space for the door panels is very tight.

I had to have a major shoulder, and hand surgery so I had initially had a local stereo shop do a speaker instal for me. I kept hearing a vibration coming from the speakers, and couldn't believe new speakers where already cracked, so once I was feeling better I decided to pull some panel and see what was going on. They had cut the centers out of the factory speakers and used what was left as baskets for the new speakers. Best of all they bolted the speakers in with drywall screws. One of the screws had even cut into one of the speaker wires and caused a short. When I confronted them they said that was normal practice and that all stereo shops would do the install the same way. Needless to say I won't be going back there, and I'll stick to installing things my way!! If you want something done right do it yourself!! Sadly most shops don't do quality work anymore and all thy are interested in is making a quick dollar.

my adapters came out super solid and if they where not white they would appear to be stock. Just to go over the top a bit( felt I owed it to my poor car after the abuse I put it through) I used all stainless hardware for the entire job every single nut or bolt I used is marine grade stainless steel.

I can tell you this for sure, with the baffles and brackets I made the sound quality came out insane! Combined with the twelve inch pioneer sub I'm using and DVD head unit, it is like watching a movie at the theater if not better!

Lesson learned don't cut corners. Do it right the first time and you will be rewarded in the end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That picture is making me hot for your sound system. Ok, seriously, great work. That is how I used to do mine when I did installations. It was mdf board, but same idea. Good work!

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you want to put 5 1/4" speakers in the back. These adapters work fantastic.
Scosche SAT6 2000 Up Toyota 5 1 4" and 6 1 2" Car Stereo Speaker Adapters | eBay

The fronts are closer to 6 3/4" size. I have 6 1/2" ones in the fron of mine at this time. But trying to find adapters for them.

Just found adapters for the front speakers and foam baffles to fit behind them on Ebay. Will pull door apart AGAIN when they show up......

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Wow, put a drywall screw through the speaker wire and they tell you that's how any audio shop would do it. LOL

Glad you got it worked out, the spacers look great.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Taz I was nothing short of pissed off, It's sad when I could do it better myself with my shoulder not even fully healed yet than a shop that calls them selves profesionals and that they take pride in their installations.

Scarter4work, mdf board is good stuff too, but I'm a real big fan of starboard and the stuff holds up forever!

Its a darn shame the way shops do stuff and then expect people to return to theM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to put 5 1/4" speakers in the back. These adapters work fantastic.
Scosche SAT6 2000 Up Toyota 5 1 4" and 6 1 2" Car Stereo Speaker Adapters | eBay

The fronts are closer to 6 3/4" size. I have 6 1/2" ones in the fron of mine at this time. But trying to find adapters for them.

Just found adapters for the front speakers and foam baffles to fit behind them on Ebay. Will pull door apart AGAIN when they show up......
any chance you can provide any details about the adapters that you found for the front which worked correctly? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts